'69 Savannah Deluxe continued.....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fitted the overriders that i bought last week at Busfest.

I toyed with fitting deluxe trim but i've always liked the overrider thing.

Beautiful Bus dude!!
Really is nice!

What's the Gazebo like Awning called?! Really like it!

Scotti.

Scotti_P said:
Beautiful Bus dude!!
Really is nice!

What's the Gazebo like Awning called?! Really like it!

Scotti.

Hi Scotti, the awning thing is a Sun Canopy from Just Kampers. I'm not sure if they still sell the grey ones anymore. We've only used it once but it was great for keeping the rain off during a wet weekend in Wales.

Mark

Last minute decision to go away to make the most of this 'Indian summer'.

It's a place called Hopley near Bewdley. Nice site, not too commercial but there is a little hut selling Pizzas and beer. Mmmm
538b8c91f056c91af156ed590b51f672.jpg
1adc7e32b5554a3a673925e7ea5d8f39.jpg
2f00342d118e815afe36bbc5813d7fa9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mike202 said:
nice campsite, over riders look great. :) I take it you had to cut them a bit to fit?

8)

No cutting in the end Mike, my bumper is at fault, it's been squashed at some point! I'm getting both bumpers straightened and painted in the next couple of weeks along with my new wheels. Should look good I hope.

I pinched this pic from the Camperjam 2015 Facebook page. There's loads of good photos on there, it's worth a look.

8ae2f93d4102bd1f92b8abea39694aa4.jpg

Took this one in the carpark at Dubs in the valley a couple of weeks ago. We were late hence no one was parked behind us.
afecdbb2c7e116b09a4069d548293e97.jpg

Time for a bit of an update i think........

Like most of us i've got a few jobs to do over the winter. Mine include fixing the oil leaks, fitting a remote brake servo and adding a bit of sound deadening.

I started looking at the oil leaks a couple of weeks ago. I knew that i had a leak from a couple of push rod tubes and the fuel pump but also suspected the crank seal had gone as well so i pulled the engine. As i hadn't done this on this particular van i figured it would be a good opportunity to check things out and get more familiar with it.

Engine out

Mexican case

1500?????

Bent push rod tube

So having had a poke around i saw that it's a late Mexican case which i assume would have been for a 1600 twin port (mines a single) but that plate on the front saying "super 1500" was a little worrying. I've since measured the pistons and it is actually a 1600.

I did notice that the rear tinware was getting trapped between the engine and 'box so out came the dremmel. I'd already decided to give the tinware a freshen up so before i painted i drilled a new hole for the vacuum hose required for the new servo.

Needs a trim

Trimmed

Hoses mocked up

I forget to say earlier but when i first looked at the engine it was clear that the engine bar was grounding out because it was hanging on by one bolt. The others had been pulled out. This must have happened before as all three mounting holes in the case had helicoils in them. I kept the one good helicoil but just re-tapped the other two and will fit oversize bolts. The holes in the moustache have been opened up to suit. Talking of the moustache, i got a mate of mine to shave the bar for me. And a crackin' job he did too.

Shave my 'tache!

Next the rattle cans came out on the tinware and the manifold. It's all come out well but i'm not sure how tough the paint will be. Probably powder coat next time but it was worth a go.

Anyway, back to where this all started - oil leaks. I replaced all eight push rod tubes and seals so fingers crossed that should help keep the driveway a bit cleaner!

From this

To this

Lots more to do, so i'd better get back to it :roll:

Good work man , I have to pull my engine over the winter so nice to see it being tackled , My pushrods are pi$$ing oil so NEED doing

With the wife and kids away for half term it meant I could have a proper session in the garage.

End float set and new crank seal fitted.

4294072a7e1b2bfcd11a0bb6f683c0b6.jpg

And the build up begins.....

854a13d12ab3233c0140bcc347ea0fff.jpg

Hopefully I'll get it back in by the end of the week then i'll make a start on fitting the remote servo.

Am I sad to be enjoying this????

003bd8def60b547bc1d7c1f6ac754967.jpg

Well, I got this far with the rebuild then thought I'd set the tappets. All was going well until I got to number 4. It looks like the exhaust valve has stretched as I can't get the required gap. So I'll be stripping it apart again to replace the valves. Bugger.

Hi buddy , just logged on to find the old girl looking great , love the additions you've done , but gutted to see you've had bit of trouble , looks like your getting topside of it tho and it's looking better all the time I'll keep watching and maybe catch up at some point , I really miss her and not having a good time with splitty take care mate see you all soon Dave n Claire :D

davebug said:
Hi buddy , just logged on to find the old girl looking great , love the additions you've done , but gutted to see you've had bit of trouble , looks like your getting topside of it tho and it's looking better all the time I'll keep watching and maybe catch up at some point , I really miss her and not having a good time with splitty take care mate see you all soon Dave n Claire :D

Hi Dave, hope you and Claire are well.

Glad you like the bits i've done so far, keep having a look at the thread and you'll see a few more over the coming months.

Don't worry about the few bits and bobs that i've been tatting with mechanically, that's all it is, me tatting! It's all part of keeping a 46 year old on the road and all part of the fun. I'm loving every minute of it.

Sorry to hear that the split's giving you grief. Any idea when it'll be hitting the road? Have you got a build thread anywhere so i can keep my eye on progress :msn4: ?

Anyway, hopefully you can see that 'Gertie' is in good hands. We've had loads of fun in her this year and taken in a fair few shows and various other camping trips and she's already become very much part of the family.

Take it easy Dave, catch you soon,

Mark

awesome bus. perfect stance. whats the details of the lowering set up and wheel and tyre size?

Latest posts