1303s gearbox in my bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 1 set left, but I will be keeping them, I will get another batch ordered hopefully today, I should be seeing my machinist.

Humpty

They are on their way, I havent got tracking info though sorry.

they were sent the thursday before christmas so should be with you soon.

Mark

AxlFoley said:
I have 1 set left, but I will be keeping them, I will get another batch ordered hopefully today, I should be seeing my machinist.

Put me down for a set from the new batch if you would please, just got to find a box now! :D

fitted the "proper"kit to graham L s new bus,those drive shafts in the kit dont have a sholder for the cv joints to sit against so the shaft would be floating instead of the joints plunging ,had groves machined in to take circlips (the outer ones)to locate!! clutch arm seemed closer to the floor?less room to adjust.gear shift alingnement looks like it could be easy to F up,left that for graham to sort :shock:

did you measure the drive shafts against the standard ones? I would be interested to know how much shorter they are to standard ones.

I have the 1303s box in my van using my my machined parts. I drove to Belgium and back no issues at all.

My brother has HD axles on his Notchback (WRX powered).... They don't have the shoulder either.... Have never had an issue with the CV's or the axles in the past 12 years of almost daily use... I wouldn't worry about fitting inner circlips.

dont know on shaft size as the bus didnt have any,was just a rolling shell :msn4:

I thought Id come on here and Post Up , Ive laughed at some of the comments of the '' Experts ''........

1) You DONT NEED a kit shipped in from the USA with new driveshafts etc as Its uneccesary and expensive and TBH The big front bracket doesnt fit well or properly ( I have checked on one fitted to a Uk bus and it has had to modified to line up the gearbox properly )

2) As Axl has done you can use the original bracket BUT instead of washers packing it out I have trimmed away more of the original early bay bracket ( In stead of a small V like Axels you make a larger U shape ) This then enables you to mount the original early bay frt steel bracket to the front of your new 1302/3S box onto the original factory mounts
NOTE : I had to redrill the two front mounting holes on the very front of the Early bay gearbox bracket to line up with the original early bay frt gearbox rubber mount as mounting the bracket to the gearbox face instead of spacing it off moves the bracket backwards by 20mm

3) For the record its best to fit a 68 to 71 early beetle nose cone to the front of your new 03 box ( 02 boxes had them as standard ) This gives you a flatter profile to bolt your bay front gearbox bracket too

4) You CAN USE standard bus drives shafts as there the correct length and more importantly Original German parts not shit imported from Mexico.......

5) You CAN use standard beetle inner Cv joints ( Get good quality German ones NOT repro shit ) All you have to do is undo the circlip holding the original bus CV joint on slid it off making sure the spring washer is still on the driveshaft and then slide the new beetle one back on again ( Yes they will take the power and strain that a bus requires ) and refit the original circlip

6) You can use one of Axls bowden tube extenders , I personally modified the original beetle bracket and bus bracket together to make it all fit and used a longer beetle bowden tube

7) I modified the length of the front gear linkage thats above the front axle by I think 26mm by adding a section of tubing but Axls idea is just as good

8) Everybody do your research and do it this way, and STAY AWAY from unscruplous traders who have never even done this conversion themselves YET are trying to sell it off to the public at grossly inflated prices and its not even been Road tested , Yet alone finished

9) Finally I did this conversion 11 years ago when '' Experts '' said it couldnt be done and I have put over 40,000 miles on it and if You've ever convoyed with me You'll no I dont hang around :lol:

Ive used genuine german parts and have been very successful with it ;)

As You were :mrgreen: ;)

Thanks for the info gadget. Will be really useful when I get round to sorting mine out.
One question though: do I need a slightly longer clutch cable too?

Thanks
Charlie

I will be on the phone to you when I finally get round to doing this Dean! :lol:

Gadget Boy said:
I thought Id come on here and Post Up , Ive laughed at some of the comments of the '' Experts ''........

....... 9) Finally I did this conversion 11 years ago when '' Experts '' said it couldnt be done and I have put over 40,000 miles on it and if You've ever convoyed with me You'll no I dont hang around :lol:

Cheers for that, that's just what we need, more actual experiance. I wanted to do this a few years ago but was told by an "expert" that it was only for split buses as bays were too heavy for the '03 box. Shows what he knows! :lol: I'm just looking for a box now and then I can cruise the motorways without the fear of being rear ended by some big old lorry!

madman said:
Gadget Boy said:

....... 9) Finally I did this conversion 11 years ago when '' Experts '' said it couldnt be done and I have put over 40,000 miles on it and if You've ever convoyed with me You'll no I dont hang around :lol:

Cheers for that, that's just what we need, more actual experiance. I wanted to do this a few years ago but was told by an "expert" that it was only for split buses as bays were too heavy for the '03 box. Shows what he knows! :lol: I'm just looking for a box now and then I can cruise the motorways without the fear of being rear ended by some big old lorry!

It's funny you say that.... In theory your 'expert' is correct.... Most bus transaxles are actually far stronger... The factory saw the TI based transaxle as a weak link, hence the need to update.... You must remember that Bus' are work vehicles, designed to carry huge loads..... But in fact the early 002 transaxles are not very strong at all... The later 091's are the trans of choice for the 'low budget' offroader or drag fan, but the ratios are very short when compared to the late Bug or TIII transaxle... I know that the mainshaft found in the SSP (single side plate as found in the 1303 ) transaxle is the strongest found in any OEM transaxle.... Likewise the 3.875 R&P (as found in the SSP with an overall final ratio of 3.60) is by far the strongest VW ever produced... Compare this to the 5.375 R&P (overall final ratio of 4.41) of most of the early 002 Bus and you can see the benefits of the change over to the SSP transaxle.... I am about to do the change over with my 68, along with efi and turbo charging of the stock 1600.... This should make for a very nice driver.... For most of you guys who use your Bus' for mostly light duty (cruising and camping), this conversion should be awesome, but this is still a gamble for me as my Bus is also used as a tow car for my drag Bug.....

Here's hopin'

All the best for the new year guys....

Latest posts