1303s gearbox in my bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
faux said:
AxlFoley said:
Based on that responce all lowered busses should run shorter axles due to the change in distance from the inner and outer CV joint :p

I had one of these kits and it had everything there to make the job easy. The shafts were a little longer, it had a gear shaft extension and longer clutch cable........but I know that Deano made his own bracket and used og shafts and been running like it for years.

With your skills Mark you will sort it easily.

i was led to believe it was a bolt up and forget piece of kit. So sounds like it should be easy for a noob like me.

Hello matey just a quick one I've got a 1303s box lined up but what I wanted to ask was are you using a split nose cone ?

An if so what bits do i need with the nose cone just the hockey stick?

Cheers Rob

Small update, I have managed to get the selector shaft and bowden tube extensions machined (circled)

gearbox2.jpg

I am picking one set up tomorrow, he has said that he can make more, so I am having another 5 sets made if anyone is interested they will be £10 for the two parts plus postage :) (cheap as chips)

rob b - no need to change the nose cone, just extend the shaft (see above)

interested in watching how this pans out. Have you found out yet whether you need the shorter drive shafts?

No i havent, i still need one cv joint, Got a busy week this week but should have some more info on the weekend. I dont think i do though due to the van being lowered.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

I was playing on rising the gearbox too that's why I was goin to use a split nose cone as the way it sits compared to a beatle one but the way your doin it seems good will wait an watch

Cheers rob

AxlFoley said:
I am having another 5 sets made if anyone is interested they will be £10 for the two parts plus postage
Good work dude. Put me down for a set and let me know how you want paying.

I'm in no rush though, as my bus is just a shell at the moment!

Toad - its just to get better gear ratios and a better 4th gear for motorway cruzing.

well today I got my parts, and Initial impressions are good.

here they are.

2011-03-01191636.jpg

and here they are trial fitted. Im not sure if the shaft extension may be a bit long, but there is plenty of room for adjustment, I would rather it be too long so that I can shorten it.
2011-03-01191317.jpg

here is the bowden tube extension, The dimentions for both were taken from the kit mentioned above, so should be ok.
2011-03-01191237.jpg

I was about to post up the question asking what is the best and also economic (not always necessarily cheapest) route to improving the 'motorway legs' on my 71.
So, can someone summarize for me please, assuming I have a stock set up, albeit pretty low, what do I need to get to do this conversion?

Mark
They look ok any luck with the hanger or do you want me to ask the guy I now and get me a set of the extensions when you make more, no rush

Ian, I think I'm just going to use something to space the gearbox away for now. but it would be worth seing if you could get it made.

AxlFoley said:
Toad - its just to get better gear ratios and a better 4th gear for motorway cruzing.

Oh thanks, Still seems a hell of a lot of work to go thro to me. Have done many many miles in my EB and its always been fine on all roads...just as VW intended.
Each to their own tho I guess. :D

Toad said:
AxlFoley said:

Oh thanks, Still seems a hell of a lot of work to go thro to me. Have done many many miles in my EB and its always been fine on all roads...just as VW intended.
Each to their own tho I guess. :D

I would like to know if they are strong enough. You would expect the bay boxes to be a bit beefier.
I'm no expert though. Would they be strong enough for a big engine????

well I'm only running a 16sp, so i think it will be fine, the bay box is a bit beifier, but I think it will be fine with the 1303s box.

no hard shakes to convert it back if i had too.

It doesnt seem like a hell of a job if indeed you lower rpms on motorways... It could be the cheap way of getting a "freeway flyer" box!1303 boxes are still plentiful... Anyway,is there really such a big difference in the ratios? And what about uphill?

I made a bit of progress today, well fitted the box and new engine

here is the bracket, I have gone for the spaced with wasers option! any coments appreciated.
2011-03-27153457.jpg

Bottom hole is factory standard, top hole has been cut to clear the new gearbox, and two additional holes have been driled to bolt to the new box, wich has three holes as standard
2011-03-27153504-1.jpg

I'm hoping to finish the wiring on the engine tomorrow and take it for a drive! watch this space...

Latest posts