1303s gearbox in my bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
crewcab said:
i just spaced off the bay mount on the bug box 19mm , extended the shift fork 19mm added another piece of bowden tube to the existing to reach the mount on the box and had to extend the clutch cable to reach, you may beable to change that for another year?? the best thing you'll ever do to your bay ;)
Great! I was expecting gadget to speak up ever since he posted this! I have seem his build thread and I trust his real world knowledge :mrgreen:
At last some real useful info :D
Thanks for sharing gadget, :D and great point humpty! I will keep an eye for info as I plan to go ahead with my conversion soon!

Happy New Year Folks!

Tonio

Glad they arrived safe and well.

There is another batch in construction as we speak.

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Resurrecting the thread... :lol:
I have been offered a 1302 box with a final ratio of 8x33...I don't know the code, really..
Do any of the gurus out there know if this final ratio is any good?

Thanks in advance
Tonio

Hey guys, I 'm answering myself :lol: .....after using the wonderful search button....Graham from Midland very kindly explained this some time ago in another topic...hope this helps someone else too :D

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=32710&start=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry I'm confused by this statement, its a kit to fit a beetle gearbox 1303s or a 1302s to a bay so you need a beetle gearbox. The code numbers for these boxes are readibly available on the internet. The kit is being produced for people who want to do this conversion and are going to carry it out for themselves.

We are currently waiting for the first prototype kit to arrive (its based a kit that used to be available in the US) and once we have fitted it we will provide instructions to go along with the kit. There are quite a few threads on the forum highlighting how to do the conversion as well. As far as I'm aware the kit will contain all you need apart from a set of beetle flanges and CV joints for the beetle box end.

Trying to be as helpful as possible and the codes you need are AN, AR, AS, AT or AU all with 3.875 final drive ratio

I ran an AT and an AH back to back in my split, the difference was negligible, (AT 60mph in 4th @ 2900rpm, AH 60mph in 4th @ 3000rpm) and seeing as AT's usually sell for more than an AH's, if the AH is cheap, I'd get that ;)

For anyone who is watching this thread, I have just taken delivery of what may be the last batch of adaptors, there are 7 sets left, £15 a set including postage. grab em while you can.

p.s. I have had the box in the van a while now and am more than happy with it.

hi looking at swapping to a 1303s gearbox - couple of questions -

- will changing the gearbox in turn raise the engine slightly giving me more ground clearance?

- Is an 'AT' code IRS gearbox from a 1303s beatle the right one to be using ? ...

Thanks

Does anyone have the vw tech no 55 article in English from the french slammer i have begun the process still a few questions about bowden tube length and clutch cable length. When i measured the transmissions there was only a 17 mm difference so why does the clutch cable have to be so long?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=630905" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is gear ratio the only reason for this conversion, or are there any other benefits (axle/frame clearance, ground clearance, etc)?
Many thanks in advance!

It's mainly for the taller 4th gear, I'm not aware of any advantages with grater clearances.

Mark

Latest posts