Monty the Red Campervan

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the steering box back on after a refurb at Midland Earlybay Feels much firmer now when driving and the first time I can feel the drag at the centrepoint position.
I filled it with Penrite steering box lube.
New spring washers used for the four mounting bolts and new cotterpin for the drop arm nut.

08e2a2ef52b65d9f049cce36a39d0cab.jpg

3b03e7f010d50b99e793c3575e36fdb1.jpg
0b0efdb00c6f019f6030f4965ab78da8.jpg
97fd230f5dc47a8be3b3f30030ededa0.jpg
e5c8c05334fa61ff59285e8701e188ee.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That was quick.

I've just come back from a jaunt through the Cotswolds (only vehicle I have that can take a 3.3m load), and those fast down-hill hairpins can be a bit, er. hairy, when you've got a slack box. I do have a recon Late box in my spares ready to go on, but it does mean cutting into the beam. I might have a word with Graham and see if he'll part-ex for a recon early box.

Coda said:
That was quick.

I've just come back from a jaunt through the Cotswolds (only vehicle I have that can take a 3.3m load), and those fast down-hill hairpins can be a bit, er. hairy, when you've got a slack box. I do have a recon Late box in my spares ready to go on, but it does mean cutting into the beam. I might have a word with Graham and see if he'll part-ex for a recon early box.

Graham aims to get the box done in a week so quite a quick turnaround. Yours will probably be fixable with new parts depending on what’s worn out. Usually it’s the peg.

That should make a massive difference to way the bus feels, Mike.

Coda said:
That was quick.

You don't touch the beam with a late bay steering box conversion, but you do have to modify the chassis leg mounting position and possibly the inner front valance will need clearancing.
It is worth the work though, I won't ever run an early steering box on a bus again.

sparkywig said:
You don't touch the beam with a late bay steering box conversion, but you do have to modify the chassis leg mounting position and possibly the inner front valance will need clearancing.
It is worth the work though, I won't ever run an early steering box on a bus again.
Yes, the valance, not the beam. Good to hear your opinion, I was wondering whether I should use this box or try to 'keep it original'. I guess its one of those toss-ups between original or more safety and comfort. Late box it is then.

North Pennines drive. The steering seems fine, I have adjusted it slightly to loosen it a bit.
No crowds just a few sheep and red grouse.

8a90489faee76d75680bc15690501deb.jpg
ae1f6f6e52ce659a9e01403e64c21395.jpg
9782d3c8ede5e2700a3ed4c89fb3cbde.jpg
9c05cfe31c74309f0069253fe46c0074.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice pics Mike, beautiful day! Took mine for a spin too, now paranoid about steering, but it turns (HaHa) out it's OK - just a bit of play. In fact I was surprised that it was running so straight - must be because one of my front brakes isn't binding anymore.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

fallingoffalot said:
Nice pics Mike, beautiful day! Took mine for a spin too, now paranoid about steering, but it turns (HaHa) out it's OK - just a bit of play. In fact I was surprised that it was running so straight - must be because one of my front brakes isn't binding anymore.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Glad your brakes are ok now. Nice day for a drive [emoji274]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great pics as usually Mike [emoji106], we’re itching to get out now too.

Great result on your steering box, I put Penrite in when I swapped mine over the other year, gloopy stuff isn’t it. I bet you was glad you were doing it on the bench[emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matty74 said:
Great pics as usually Mike [emoji106], we’re itching to get out now too.

Great result on your steering box, I put Penrite in when I swapped mine over the other year, gloopy stuff isn’t it. I bet you was glad you were doing it on the bench[emoji1787]

Thanks. Yes I hadn’t realised how gloopy it was! I put the bottle in a bucket of hot water to make it easier to go in, and I’m glad it’s done after all that faff. I could see the components inside had something similar coating them, but the box wasn’t full so I didn’t know how much I had to put in and just filled it to the top, left it overnight and checked in the morning. Got about 180ml I would say not counting spills.

I’ll check the level again after a few more miles just to be sure it’s full. [emoji106]

That was pretty quick the rebuild!
Glad your back on the road again, overhere last wednesday it was 26 degrees celcius and now it’s freaking cold with snow, storm winds and hail and they salted the bloody roads again😡

Dirty Harry said:
That was pretty quick the rebuild!
Glad your back on the road again, overhere last wednesday it was 26 degrees celcius and now it’s freaking cold with snow, storm winds and hail and they salted the bloody roads again😡
Same in here, almost. 23c in Gloucestershire, and 2c now and snowing/hail/sleet/rain. They haven't salted the roads yet, even though we've had a couple weeks warning of the bad weather, they're probably still counting the beans to see if they can afford the unplanned salt expenditure :lol:

Yea, we went to the moors again on Monday the wind was so cold it froze our faces[emoji23]
We were toasty warm inside the ‘van though cause of the heater [emoji1690]

mike202 said:
Yea, we went to the moors again on Monday the wind was so cold it froze our faces[emoji23]

Now you’re just showing off Mike [emoji1787][emoji106]

matty74 said:
mike202 said:

Now you’re just showing off Mike [emoji1787][emoji106]

Good job I have the heater, the air coming up from the HXs was hardly worth it [emoji23]

Latest posts