Monty the Red Campervan

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments!

Something I've noticed after these last couple of nights away is that the new foam in the engine deck cushion is too firm! I got a set from GB Foam Direct, for VW T2 campervans, and for the seats its fine, but that cushion I need something a little softer. I've ordered some more foam to replace the existing one so will see how that is.
Also I've noticed a strange noise when the engine is idling at traffic lights etc. It goes away when I press the clutch in, so I thought it could be the clutch release bearing. It's not too bad right now but I have a feeling it won't get any better!

Nice pics Mike!
I still use the 51 year old westfalia foam ;)
Do you sleep with your head at the tailgate?

mike202 said:
Thanks for the comments!

Something I've noticed after these last couple of nights away is that the new foam in the engine deck cushion is too firm! I got a set from GB Foam Direct, for VW T2 campervans, and for the seats its fine, but that cushion I need something a little softer. I've ordered some more foam to replace the existing one so will see how that is.
Also I've noticed a strange noise when the engine is idling at traffic lights etc. It goes away when I press the clutch in, so I thought it could be the clutch release bearing. It's not too bad right now but I have a feeling it won't get any better!

Thanks Harry, I was using the OG vinyl and foam until last year when I decided to replace with new vinyl. There were a few tears in the seat covers, and the repairs were not holding up. Upon seeing the old foam, I bought new foam to go with the new covers.
Yes we sleep with our head under the head banger locker as it’s so quiet that way.
I’ve just put in a new softer foam in the engine deck cover, it’s called medium density instead of high density, and for a few pounds more I got a stockinette cover for it. It was so much easier to push into the cover with this cover on it! It was partly due to the softer foam being easier to manage as well. I think this foam will be fine as it feels a lot better when lying on it. Next camping trip will confirm this [emoji3]

Are you camping yet?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Funny we sleep with our heads to the front due to more fresh air, it’s a bitch to get in and out of the bed but we are used to it :lol:
We never tried it with heads under the headbanger shelf but since my spare tyre is on the roof we could give it a try.
Yep first 3 nights camping are on the clock this year but we could do with warmer weather, it’s still too cold for this time of year!!

Dirty Harry said:
Funny we sleep with our heads to the front due to more fresh air, it’s a bitch to get in and out of the bed but we are used to it :lol:
We never tried it with heads under the headbanger shelf but since my spare tyre is on the roof we could give it a try.
Yep first 3 nights camping are on the clock this year but we could do with warmer weather, it’s still too cold for this time of year!!

We’ve only slept with our heads at the tailgate I know some sleep the other way though. Part of the routine when camping, is pulling out the spare wheel and fitting the extra cushion to go in the gap.

It was so cold the first night camping I had to put my clothes back on [emoji23] I was worried about disturbing the neighbours with the heater so didn’t put it on. After talking to them the next day, they had put theirs on and we didn’t hear it, so I turned ours on about 5am the next night.
Strange though as in the day it was really sunny, we went for a walk and we both got a little sun burnt.
I think we’re a bit out of practice at this camping lark, cause it’s been so long!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Holiday road trip to the Outer Hebrides!
This is somewhere I've always wanted to visit, and in the current climate with the difficulties of travelling abroad it seemed like as good as time as ever.
We travelled up from Northumberland to Oban to catch the ferry to Castlebay on Barra, at the southern end of the Outer Hebrides with a 'hopscotch' ferry ticket. There are two more short ferry crossings to travel northwards and then finally from Stornaway on Lewis back to the mainland at Ullapool.

on the way to Oban in bonnie Scotland

getting the ferry to Castlebay

views on arriving

at the campsite

more to follow...

again lovely deserted beaches and great views on North Uist

remember Hercules the bear anyone? TV and film star!

heading for Harris and Lewis now.

on the 'golden road' on Harris

Tarbert

view of Clisham (799metres) as we head north

on the ferry to Ullapool, great views of the west coast.

Broomfield campsite in Ullapool for a couple of nights before heading home.

plenty of room if you don't need a EHU, all the sites were busy and not needing a hook up helped us get a space. I was a bit surprised how busy the Outer Hebrides was tbh.

beach art work

heading home early as we had 350 miles to go!

We covered 1039 miles and used 203 litres of petrol. Some of that will be for heating the van with the webasto. Really pleased with how Monty performed the whole trip, and I had no problems at all. Lots of people were pleased to see Monty and said kind words. Really enjoyed the trip and it was a great experience to visit these remote islands. 8)

Fantastic photos. It's also a dream of mine to do that trip in Alberta (Alberta the bus, not Alberta in Canada 😁). Maybe next year.

Great pics...much luckier with the weather than we were when we went!!

Latest posts