Voltage Regulator

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roy

Reaction score
Hi,

I had some very loose wires come away from a unit in the engine bay of my van. My van is 1971 US import but it has been renovated and has 2 litre engine from later van with auto box.

I have identified from web research that the unit where the wires came from is a Bosch voltage regulator. The two wires that came away were red and brown and I am not sure what way round they reconnect. They came form the top/right hand side connectors on the unit. The Bosch Unit part number as on a web site called autochannel.com is F4010-12514/BOS

Any thoughts about how best to sort? Also advice on what this unit does would be appreciated. I have had a misfire and not sure if these loose wires would have bee nthe cause.

Roy

Google "voltage regulator function" to answer one of your questions.
Voltage regulators have more than just a red and brown wire coming off them as you can see from looking at the relevant wiring diagrams here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt2.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Assuming it is an original wire, brown is always earth on VWs.

Has it not been swopped from a dynamo to alternator if it's a later engine

Hi Roy,
The regulator part number you have quoted is a US aftermarket alternator regulator, for the early externally regulated alternators. Most commonly with 0120 400 836 Bosch alternator part number if the label is still there. All replacement alternators are internally regulated, so it is possible the regulator you are concerned about is now redundant. If your present alternator is working OK, then I suggest you remove the redundant regulator. You can check your alternator is working by measuring the battery voltage with the engine running; between 14.0 and 14.5volts is OK. Under 13.5volts and it is not working, and that could be the regulator needs to be connected in.
Peter Good

The OP roy has not visited this forum since his initial posting.
So much for the three of us taking the time to reply!

Latest posts