My '72 devon....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gwar72

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've been reading all these threads on here for a while now of all these lovely and detailed rebuilds and restorations..!! So here is the small start on mine..!! :shock:
I have had my bay for 12 months now and have used her a lot over the season going to shows and summer trips away and now is the time to do some renovations on her over the winter..!!
I could see that the inner rear wheel arches were bodged and corroded through the units and i also wanted to change the flooring to. So decided to take out the units to refurb them and deal with the arches and see what lies beneath the floor before re-assembling her back together.

Here with the interior still in...

And then it all coming out...!!! :shock:

As you can see the arches need work but happy with the general floor condition though..!! :D

Will post more pics as the works continue..!! This is my 1st ever go at this..!! :msn4:

Well have been busy sanding down the buddy seat and rear bench..!! Arms feel like they are going to drop off at the shoulders..!! :lol:
A couple of pic's before...

Sanded but not varnished yet...

Wet marks are where i wiped down with white spirits but not fully dry...!! :)

Also had a clean up of the rear bench heat outlets..!! :D
Before....

cleaned up and masked up...

Rust undercoat applied... :D

Some good jobs done there pal. It's always the detail that counts! Keep the pics coming :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers All..!! :)

A chap from our Vdub club will look at the welding for me and hopefully i can learn from him as he does it..!!?? ;)

Hi, the heater outlets have turn out good..!! Well chuffed..!! :D

Did a little more sanding today also..!! :)

Before....

After...

Bit wet still from wipe down...

back to work tomorrow for a rest...!!! :lol:

Top work, subscribed to this one..

Wish I still had my Devon interior and it'd be a dream if it was in the condidtion of yours!

89Rallye said:
Top work, subscribed to this one..

Wish I still had my Devon interior and it'd be a dream if it was in the condidtion of yours!

Cheers 89rallye

Yes, i'm very lucky with the condition it was in..! Only need to find a a matching piece of laminate for the duff side of the cooker unit..!! All the rest is sanding down..!!

Before sanding... as you can see the right side of unit is peeling away..!! :roll:

Well managed to find time do a little more to the interior this weekend. Took it to a club mate to get the welding worked out and than took the last of the interior out ready for the work to begin..!! :D

Found behind the cooker mounting some previous owners bodge work with the good old fill it in with black GOO..!!! :shock: :roll:

Then the rest came out for me to sand down..!! Sorry it's all wood work related at the moment rather than welding and metal but will get picks of all that when it happens..!! I'm more comfortable working with wood just now..!!?? ;)

As you can see from pictures above and below, that sometime in the past there was a leak from the poptop and resulting in staining and blown plywood..!! :roll:

Any ideas on what colour code the interior is as once welding is done i want to re-paint to match new..!!?? Any ideas appreciated :?: :D

Did a little bit today. Had to take off damaged piece of plywood off the drawer unit as damaged. Struggle to find 15mm plywood so have put 3mm hardboard strips on the cross battons then cut a piece of 12mm ply to the right shape but forgot to bring plane with me so not glued and fitted yet..!! Ike the collie was there for quality control and the cut off pieces of wood to fetch and then shred..!! :D

Then worked on the air vent across the walkthrough floor, wire brushed down and then primered it with rust reformer..!! The rust had eaten through in a couple of place but the metals so thin that i doubt you could weld it..!! :roll:

Then i primed my new spot light brackets that i got of Doris..!! 8)

Little things i know but it's good to potter...!!! :lol:

nice one dude my interior had been replaced with a '74 interior which was trash by the fire brigade so i had to build some thing simuliar wanted it to been inkeeping but wanted it a bit up to date so put this together

yours is look sweet

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0370.jpg

IMG_0369.jpg

interior.jpg

the crossover collective

Like the new interior in your van Lobie..!! 8)

Had a box of goodies to open today...!!!! :D :D :D

Some Raydyot Lamps to go on the brackets i got off Doris...!!!! 8)

Started today on replacing the side panel and floor base on the cooker unit..!! :D Was going Ok until i took the side panel off and was just about to attack the floor panel when i bust the front side frame..!! :( So that's now glued and taped up for now..!! :?:

Off to Dubfreeze tomorrow to get some goodies though...!! 8)

DSCN3706.jpg

DSCN3708.jpg

DSCN3711.jpg

had a go at cleaning up the cooker bracket's put may get the media blasted by my mate to clean them up better..!!

DSCN3703.jpg

DSCN3705.jpg

Went too Dubfreeze yesterday and picked up a rear offside wheel tub and corragated floor panel from C&C..!! 8)

DSCN3716.jpg

And then tonight got the bottom off the cooker unit and cut a new peice of ply ready to go in..!! :D

DSCN3723.jpg

Doris's spot light brackets got a couple of coats of pastel white over the weekend to and are now done. :D

DSCN3725.jpg

myvanway 69 said:
Great job, looking good. ;)
So many interesting interiors out there nice to see. :D

Cheers...!! :D

I know it's not a thread of metal, welds and stuff at the moment but i'm getting there..!! :)

New plywood top now fixed onto the rear draw unit..!! 8)

DSCN3728.jpg

And new bottom gone into cooker unit..!! 8) Found some 9mm Oak veneer ply, so now on order now for the side of the unit..!! :D

DSCN3729.jpg

Latest posts