My '72 devon....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sparkywig said:
Gwar72 said:
Any ideas on what colour code the interior is as once welding is done i want to re-paint to match new..!!?? Any ideas appreciated :?: :D

Should be Light Beige L275.

Cheers Sparkywig..!! 8) Someone said you can get a good match with the VW light beige from Halfords.!? :)

Let the varnishing begin...!!! 8)

DSCN3732.jpg

Well been busy today putting a 2nd and last coat of varnish on some of the wooden units so i really feel like i'm making headway...!! :D :D

On some of the units where i had to replace panels, I glued and pinned in place. But with using pins you have the trouble of hiding the head if it's visible..!!??

DSCN3735.jpg

Well what you have to do is counter sink the head of the pin below the surface of the wood like in above Picture. Then if you remembered to keep some of you sanding/wood dust from when you sanded down the units you can then do this..!! 8) Mix some of your sanding/wood dust with some Wood glue and make into a kind of putty..!! Like below..!! :D

DSCN3734.jpg

Honest it is sanding/dust and not narcotics..!!?? :lol:

You can then fill in the holes with the putty and you will get the right colour match to your wood (no buying expensive wood filler..!!) 8)

DSCN3737.jpg

And then leave slighly proud and let dry..!!

DSCN3738.jpg

Once dry (overnight) just gently sand down with fine sand paper. Simples..!!! ;)

Well finally found some 9mm oak veneer to match the cooker unit side..!! 8) Had to buy a whole 8'by4' sheet and had it cut in two and courier delivered. All for a piece 60cm by 33cm..!!?? :lol: :lol: But worked out 1/2 the price than the quote i had from a local furniture restorer to do the work..!! And I had the satisfaction of doing it myself..!! :D

DSCN3739.jpg

And then stained it to match other cooker side..!

DSCN3740.jpg

Now glued and pinned in..!! Photo to follow..! 8)

Man i'm well chuffed with the new panel, even if i do say so myself..!! :D :lol: Still need to varnish yet.

New panel..!!

DSCN3741.jpg

And the original oppsite side.

DSCN3743.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Took bus to a mates workshop last night ready for the welding stage..!! :D

So for those that need a metal fix of photo's watch this space..!!! :lol: 8)

Cooker unit now aged on new side and varnish all over..!! 8)

DSCN3745.jpg

Original side, I'm happy with the match..!! :D

DSCN3746.jpg

Engine comes out on Monday night..!!! Ready to get at the rear wheel arches and petrol tank... :D

Cheers..!! :D

I just hope i remember how it all goes back in..!!? :lol:

Well, dropped the engine out on Monday night..!! 1st time ever for me...!!! 8)

DSCN3758.jpg

DSCN3760.jpg

DSCN3761.jpg

Removed the fire wall to investigate the smell of petrol that i get when tank is over half full and found the following...!!! :shock:

DSCN3765.jpg

Breather hose had perished...!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Everthing else look sound so i think this is the cause for sure..!! At least the tank doesn't have to come out..!! :D

Old hose off and ready for new hose to go on.

DSCN3762.jpg

Now going to tidy up fire wall and re-paint. So should i go with the original grey or go BLACK...!!!?? Mmmm :?: :?: :?:

Well took advantage of good weather and workshop at work and tidied up the engine roof mesh and fire wall that a took out yesterday from the bus..!! :D

Grids are a bit grubby and odd spot of rust, so went over with a wire brush on a drill...Before

DSCN3769.jpg

Bottom half has had a wire brush over on this one below,

DSCN3770.jpg

After....i went over with a 240 paper just to finish off

DSCN3771.jpg

DSCN3772.jpg

DSCN3773.jpg

Then threw some primer on...!!! 8)

DSCN3774.jpg

Also took off some of the hammock fixings to clean up and re-paint

DSCN3767.jpg

Wire wheel brushed clean and primer on...

DSCN3776.jpg

Top coat of paint on the firewall and engine grills..!! :D

DSCN3784.jpg

Then started to look at the roof struts. Here's some before pics....

DSCN3781.jpg

DSCN3780.jpg

DSCN3779.jpg

DSCN3782.jpg

Will take these out and sand down ready to paint..!!!

Had the skylight brackets media blasted as they were to awkward to sand by hand. Then i etch primed. 8)

DSCN3778.jpg

DSCN3777.jpg

Well here is what i've been up too lately...!!! :msn4: :D

Have been taking the engine tinware off ready for sanding down and re-spraying...

DSCN3787.jpg

DSCN3791.jpg

DSCN3801.jpg

DSCN3800.jpg

DSCN3792.jpg

Fuel tank is having the same treatment to...!!! :D

DSCN3796.jpg

DSCN3798.jpg

Then after a bit of sanding...!!!

DSCN3803.jpg

DSCN3804.jpg

And then Zinc primer.....

DSCN3806.jpg

DSCN3807.jpg

DSCN3809.jpg

DSCN3810.jpg

DSCN3815.jpg

DSCN3814.jpg

Rear of the fan housing had rust reformer base coat then restoleum stove/BBQ satin black top coat. Inside of tinware will have the same treatment...!!

DSCN3811.jpg

DSCN3812.jpg

DSCN3813.jpg

Primer going onto the poptop supports...

DSCN3808.jpg

Very busy but productive Easter weekend...!!! :D :D :D

Cheers myvanway..!! :D

Got to get it done while i have the spare time, soon the glasshouse will be full of plants and then no good as a spray booth...!!?? :lol:

Got some colour on...!! Front grill not re-sprayed but there to show colour match..!! Well pleased..... :D

DSCN3816.jpg

DSCN3819.jpg

DSCN3817.jpg

DSCN3818.jpg

Haven't done much lately but my friend has started to take out rear arch..!!! :shock:

DSCN3823.jpg

DSCN3822.jpg

And we have come to the decision that we will replace the outer wheel arch panel, as the flared arch is corroded and rust has got into the old weld seals we it had been replaced before..!! :roll:

Well have now got the repainted roof support bars back in and looking good...! :D

Makes the head lining look shabby now..!! :lol:

DSCN3833.jpg

DSCN3835.jpg

DSCN3836.jpg

Bunk bed brackets in. Think i'll paint the screw heads white to match and need to replace the light to..!!?

DSCN3837.jpg

DSCN3838.jpg

Skylight brackets back in and new skylight (£10 fleebay bargain..!!) :D

DSCN3839.jpg

Started to clean the front tin ware..!!

DSCN3830.jpg

DSCN3827.jpg

Well had a good day yesterday rebuilding back up the engine tin ware and putting some new bits on to..!! 8)

In the Beginning there was a 1600 bare naked engine....LoL :oops:

DSCN3841.jpg

And then a few hours later..!! (cups of tea included and some workshop chat).....!! :D

DSCN3846.jpg

And while i was on the engine a friend was under the wheel arch playing cut out the rust...!! :)

DSCN3843.jpg

With the following results...!! 8)

DSCN3850.jpg

DSCN3847.jpg

DSCN3848.jpg

DSCN3849.jpg

Hopefully the new rear tub will be going in next weekend...!!! :D :D :D

Latest posts