My 69 Westfalia - Oxyboxer engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmatre

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my Westfalia camper, imported from California to Norway July 2009

1278104970_9_FT817_borestrand.jpg

Test assembly. With 5.5 rods the piston to the cylinder top clearance is 14.2mm included the adapter rings (not fitted on the picture)
I'll will go for 1.2mm piston to top clearance, 55cc chambers = 9.0 in compression

1300232207_9_FT817_vendehyde.jpg

CB 2280 camshaft and hydraulic lifters (successfully used by some members of the shoptalk forums)
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=132973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1300232207_9_FT817_kam.jpg

CB044 heads

1300232207_9_FT817_topper.jpg

Mexico EFI TB, end castings and generator stand
The TB is a bit to small for the 2021cc engine, but hopefully it will work OK up to 5K RPM
I'm trying to build something that looks stock :)

1797323.jpg

Justin & Muttley said:
That looks interesting - what's the thinking behind adapting a water-cooled block?

;)

It's not an easy engine to build, but gives you better bearing journals [read stronger iirc?], it's a beefier type1...some have issues with the fact the studs have to be moved to match up with T1 heads...there's loads of info on shoptalk forum.
Some argue a alu T1 case and a T1 76mm crank is easier to build, but that's not german parts more likely chinese.

Not sure how the 5bolt flywheel matches to a 1600 gearbox, but I'm sure tmatre will pass on the info

:D

There are some options...
Some use a 200mm T4 flywheel machined for t-1 clutch with pilot bearing
Some uses 210/215mm T4 flywheel with pilot bearing
Some uses 228 flywheel with pilot bearing.
Some change to a T4 gearbox or change the clutch housing / axle to T4 type..

My plan is to use the 228 flywheel with pilot and remove enough material so that the clutch will fit in the clutch housing.
Then I will use a starter from a TDI powered 4 cylinder car, this is a self support type like the Automatic starters, but it is 1.8 kw :)
Then use a spacer when mounting the starter..
Test fitting is not done yet, waiting for more parts, both new and used.
Will post pictures when ready

I'm not sure about the management system...
I have used Megasquirt on 3 engines now, and i have another ECU, trigger wheel and what is needed.

Im also thinking about using the EFI system from the WBX engine...

Got a mail from VWParts yesterday.. parts shipped :D

Latest posts