Uber Cool-68 Westy Cal import LHD

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uber cool

Reaction score
Picked this up today. 68 westy tintop, imported in Dec 08, First UK owner.
Only my 2nd bay camper, but completey unmodified, so nice blank canvas. Initialy thoughts are good, no nasty surprises.

Need to look at the brakes, slight pull to one side, and dont seem as good as the discs on my 72 crossover. However this could be poor adjustment etc. Also steering box feels slack, so need to check this. Engine pulls strong. First job trip to DVLA to sort out the UK Reg, that should be fun :roll:

Sunday's job, dam good interior clean needed

Oh its got heat as well, now there's a nice change from having J tubes fitted :mrgreen:

Looking at all the receipts history seems to be sold in California 1968, moved to Washington 1997 then exported Dec 08.

Not sure on mods yet, going to get it running nice first and hatch some ideas. Might even run round standard height for a while :shock: would be a novelty having driven lowered for 4 years.

Best thing about a US import, NO MORE WELDING, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Been there done that, been welding cars for 20 years, no more! I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT :idea: I can enjoy the van as it should be on the road. Not on axle stands for years in a garage. Then to be sold as an unfinished project on ebay

100_0196.jpg

100_0199.jpg

plent of eager helpers at hand to clean
100_0198.jpg

niiiiiiiiiiiiiice bus ubber! 69 westy tin tops rock :wink: hopefully one day mine will look as straight as that!

Real nice, the interior looks top notch too.

Looking at the interior it is a pre august 69 so you have the early beam (split pattern) easy to go down the king and link pin route....just a thought :mrgreen:

faux said:
Real nice, the interior looks top notch too.

Looking at the interior it is a pre august 69 so you have the early beam (split pattern) easy to go down the king and link pin route....just a thought :mrgreen:

Now there a good idea!

Lovely van I bet you're like a dog with two tails!

I wonder how many times you'll be climbing in, and thinking that the steering wheel has been stolen.... only to remember that you are now running a left hooker! :lol:
I have to think twice when getting into mine, having gone from a RHD to a LHD and then back to a RHD again! :mrgreen:

Doug

Yep had a full pass out for the garage today, Just spent the day cleaning and tidying things. Brilliant :mrgreen:

Going to DVLA tomorrow armed with a handful of paperwork for the UK plate, wish me luck :? It's a 68 vehicle, so should get a 'G' plate.

I went last week and said I would come and pick the docs up (it's local to where I work), dropped off at 4pm, they rang at 11am the next day to say they were ready. Picked up tax disc and registration plate form that night, plates made and driving that weekend!!

Good Luck!! :lol:

Yipee, Reg number can today, So only took 48hrs at DVLA, cant complain with that. Going to make some plates myself and re use the US rear surround (has to be done), then order some pressed ali ones.

Jobs to do so far having had a good look round the van

new sealt belts front and rear
adjust brakes - there a bit scarey :shock:
tweek steering box, a but sloppy.
oil leak from engine, look like a cheap oil pressure switch is leaking :shock:
replace carpet in rear with some fresh lino
new curtains - leave that one to the wife :lol:
remove front spare tyre, fit nice VW badge

Mod wise

I think a little bit of lowering , just 1 spline
then I've got some spare early bay splindles and porshce hubs, so a conversin to discs and fit the fuchs I have sat around.

Then - but much later fit the porsche 911 engine i have. but that might be next winter project. As I need to finish off my shortened bay trailer

Hi!

48hrs? That was quick, sure mine was longer............

So any more picturesof this lino etc.???? How did you get on with the steering box play, mine is due a mot, and i'm not too sure about mine.........

If you get rid of the steelies 0 look me up!?!! :wink:

Alistair

looking good, although i'm not sure i'm keen on the siluete of a man painted on the back, I think all white would look better. ;)

AxlFoley said:
looking good, although i'm not sure i'm keen on the siluete of a man painted on the back, I think all white would look better. ;)

See what you means, looks like grey primer :mrgreen:

decided to rip out the old carpet that was a bit dirty. Going to replace with laminate or vinyl, bit easier to clean with kids getting in and out when on campsite etc.

However I got a bit carried away and stripped the interior :oops: At least I cant make it look any worse on the inside!
Looks worse that it is, cleaned some and comes up like new. Need to treat the rust spots and then paint. Going to replace the plywood sides, found a timber yard in Preston, £9.95 for a 5 foot square sheet 3mm birch ply.

Still debating lowered and what wheels, standard is growing on me :shock:

100_0241.jpg

100_0243.jpg

100_0245.jpg

Sorted out the stripped oil pressure switch, managed to heliciol in position, what a relief :D

Also got my scheme drawn up for the van. Keeping the interior stock apart from new birch ply panels. Exterior to be a red 9 coilover 2 - 4 " kit and 1 spline at the rear. Then fitting 356 chrome rims and lower profile tyres, chrome hub caps, disc brakes up front. Then rework the trailer to match the EB rear lights and half moon vents. finally fit the 911 engine on triple carbs :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That should take up the rest of the year and then some :mrgreen:

Oh and the spare wheel is coming off the front and the black.white check bra going on.

all interior panels remade in 3mm birch ply and then stained and satin clear varnish applied.
Picture164.jpg

Picture165.jpg

Picture172.jpg

Picture202.jpg

Picture203.jpg

Picture204.jpg

Red 9 kit picked up at dubfreeze
Picture201.jpg

Going to fit chrome rims (Porsche 356 replicas) Not sure whether to fit chrome baby moons, or the grey ones off the van? comments please.
Picture200.jpg

Done a bit of research on the bay, was orginally bought from Jack Meaney Motors in Thousand Oaks California. Photo below as in 60's Next photo now as a used RV showroom.
jackmeaneymotors_thousandoaks_ca-2.jpg

jackmeaneymotors_thousandoaks_ca-1.jpg

few more photos of the bay
214395021_o-1.jpg

214394570_o.jpg

214394400_o.jpg

Clean and nice! just what the earlybay fans ordered :wink: 8)

Latest posts