Stu & Clare Present Murphy - Aircooled Campout 2020 Pics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Stu, that looks awesome mate!!.. and your reasoning behind it is so true! I'm really looking forward to the install thread!!
Nice one mate :D
Liam

Soz about your engine woes :(
And good luck with your Scooby engine and gearbox change :)

Looking forward to seeing the fully fitted, running, end result Stu. The work done so far is nothing short of superb by the looks and sounds mate!

That's the last I'll be "cruising" with you guys and Murphy anywhere, anytime soon [emoji23][emoji23]
Not till I have, at the bare minimum, a 1776 twin carbed heartbeat transplanted into the bus with upgraded brakes....

I'm not on here much nowadays, but this will be one I'll be following with interest [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

monkeyvanwestybike said:
Sorry Stu,
You Carry on lad
But I prefer the Alex and Maddog approach :)

Yep I appreciate your sentiment and it wasnt a quick or easy decision - however our bus is for driving and visiting places, trips back on the big yellow taxi have become a little commonplace and nobody will know whats under the hood till we are parked up safe and sound. Use it or loose it is my mantra and I need a reliable and useable pleasure bus.
If only there were OG parts available for the aircooled engines to ensure the reliability nobody would seek alternate solutions

Foz said:
Looking forward to seeing the fully fitted, running, end result Stu. The work done so far is nothing short of superb by the looks and sounds mate!

That's the last I'll be "cruising" with you guys and Murphy anywhere, anytime soon [emoji23][emoji23]
Not till I have, at the bare minimum, a 1776 twin carbed heartbeat transplanted into the bus with upgraded brakes....

I'm not on here much nowadays, but this will be one I'll be following with interest [emoji41]

Always up for a cruise with Olive old bean - reliability is key not speed and torque when towing the Rapido
We have managed some epic road trips so far and have many more to come fingers crossed!
Rita and Biddy have a few future parties to attend I am sure!! 8) 8) 8)

Good luck with it anyway Stu
Painful as it is to see this now is apparently the only possible solution to VW Bus ownership
I'm out now and selling mine anyway after nearly 29 years of T2 ownership
I shouldn't even comment anymore now really
:|
I just find it difficult to keep my mouth/keyboard shut :lol:

StuF said:
Always up for a cruise with Olive old bean - reliability is key not speed and torque when towing the Rapido
We have managed some epic road trips so far and have many more to come fingers crossed!
Rita and Biddy have a few future parties to attend I am sure!! 8) 8) 8)

Amen to that brother! 🤙

monkeyvanwestybike said:
Painful as it is to see this now is apparently the only possible solution to VW Bus ownership

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I do appreciate feedback both positive and negative. Wasn’t an easy choice or a convenient change. But love driving the bus and going to Europe in it so reliability is a preference over speed. Sad the way the (new) used parts market has left people such as myself with such limited options.

Sorry to hear you are loosing your bus but 29 years is a fantastic mark of devotion to a vehicle. So much respect for that. We have clocked up 6 years so far and hope for another 30 atleast! Health and happiness accepting.

StuF said:
monkeyvanwestybike said:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I do appreciate feedback both positive and negative. Wasn’t an easy choice or a convenient change. But love driving the bus and going to Europe in it so reliability is a preference over speed. Sad the way the (new) used parts market has left people such as myself with such limited options.

Sorry to hear you are loosing your bus but 29 years is a fantastic mark of devotion to a vehicle. So much respect for that. We have clocked up 6 years so far and hope for another 30 atleast! Health and happiness accepting.

monkeyvanwestybike said:
You could of always got Mr Maher to build you a nice one stu :mrgreen:

Yep it was an option however to look at an aircooled engine that would reliably and regularly reach the 120 - 160bhp mark my budget was waaaaayyyyy exceeded and then the gearbox build and compromises such as increased oil cooling and massive fuel consumption combined with excess crankcase oil pressure and exhaust issues made it a no brainer to go for water cooled flat four as an affordable alternative.

Ideally I would have found an aircooled engine from a Porsche apparently it’s only 4 bolts and they are in 😂

Myvanway said:
Watercooled scum..... ;) :tongue0013:
xxxx

Still aircooled at heart though - I wont take you out for a spin when im rolling then :lol:
Wouldnt want you to feel too "Scummy" :mrgreen:

I am pleased how the engine turned out considering the state of it when it was collected - I am guessing it was left sat for some time after being removed from the donor vehicle due to the levels of corrosion on the aluminum block and the amount of leaves, twigs and muck I found.

Looking good Stu.
Good luck with the install ;)
Cheers
Al

Latest posts