Stu & Clare Present Murphy - Aircooled Campout 2020 Pics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice work as ever Stu.
Surprise faced coolers.........funny! I dont think i even posess one of those on my bus? Or am i just talkin shite as usual.......

Steve - I imagine you do have an oil cooler although it maybe different to the one I have installed? External perhaps?
Have managed to get this far without any books or assistance!
Todays job is to remove the sump - not an easy task as it is quite heavy sat on beer crates and I need to flip the block onto its side! :msn4:

I can picture some late nights this week when my parts arrive 8)

I really should fix all the leaks on mine :msn4: but i lack the skill and incentive :oops:

Best of luck getting it sorted Stu ;)

Cheers Grazy - not sure if I will sort all the leaks out, I have a sneaking suspicion there are more than a few
So far I have identified them coming from the following areas

Rocker covers - mainly down to dried up cork gasket not sealing
Alternator Stand - missing seal above oil deflector plate so was seeping out
Sump Plate wasn't sealing correctly - so oil was dripping out
Possible flywheel oil seal - however I am not investigating if it is weeping just yet (lack tools to remove flywheel)
Oil cooler seals were perished - now all sorted
Oil filler neck was loose and had no internal seal so oil was coming from there

It was pretty strange to be honest that all the leaks came from the Right hand side of the engine! The side of the alternator stand, oil filler and so on! Should have it back in the bus this time next week running sweet.

Yesterday I managed to refill the gearbox oil, remove, clean,check and refit the clutch and pressure plate - degreased all the manky tinware and obtained some replacement bolts, nuts and exhaust gaskets for the rebuild.

Some more pics! 8)

Gearbox oil going in - slow job but managed to get nearly 4 litres into it!

2FHc4.jpg

Flywheel shot!

VNp7J.jpg

Pressure plate after a few thousand miles

owNTY.jpg

0dk7K.jpg

Clutch has loads of meat left on it! Thankfully

mXjdV.jpg

aXvNG.jpg

AxwJr.jpg

Oil cooler tinware shot for Adam! After reading about this particular piece I am glad it is there! Who would have thought such a small piece could cause such mischief! Apparently if it is missing your oil cooler wont work correctly and you will be prone to overheating!!

q8AUR.jpg

All back together (clutch that is!)

8QfZL.jpg

Looking forward to the parcels arriving! Cant wait to get cracking and build it back up!

Cheers for the pic mate :) made one up yesterday so that was helpful. What tools do you need for the flywheel? I've got the socket and a breaker bar somewhere but I just need to figure out who has them........

Just need the socket mate - I have a 6ft breaker bar however as Deano and I replaced it a couple of years ago before my drive to Spain I am hoping it isn't weeping!
That's the thing with the flywheel oil seal - you can't just check it you have to remove everything just to see it! :lol:

I can see if I can find it this weekend if you want to try whilst the engine is out?

Cheers for the offer mate 8) - but I am going to risk it! :msn4:
I am pretty sure it was the rocker cover gasket, alternator stand and the lack of a seal in the oil filler neck tracking back that were the worst culprits!

Well its been a busy couple of evenings spent in the garage getting the bus ready for this years trips away
Fingers crossed it will be reinstalled this afternoon and be running again!
So far the following has been completed

Late Bay Clutch release bearing, guide tube and heavy duty actuating arm (including new bushes) all installed
Ring removed from early pressure plate to suit new release bearing
Fresh engine and gearbox oil
Two new engine mounts
Replaced the cracked manifold boots with new red ones!
Alternator stand sealed correctly with gasket and oil deflector
New fuel filter (over gearbox)
Installed billet sump plate with fresh oil strainer and seals
New billet alternator pulley
New fan belt
Heater pipes renewed with metal type
Rocker cover gaskets replaced
Dizzy cap, rotor arm replaced although I have a nice new SVDA vac advanced Dizzy to get installed
Tin ware was all degreased, cleaned and reinstalled
So far no fresh leaks have appeared!

Some pics of my progress

Gearbox bell housing with all the early bay clutch parts removed

gBMim.jpg

Removed the clutch arm (which was an arse to get off!)

mEbti.jpg

New actuating arm, guide and release bearing installed

yciBs.jpg

rGLnK.jpg

To run a late bay release bearing you also need to remove the ring from the inside of the pressure plate so with the assistance of a hammer that was persuaded to come off!

jdPBU.jpg

Old engine mounts compared to fresh items

9lceW.jpg

Fuel filter being renewed

5Lvg8.jpg

Alternator stand deflector plate and seal! Old one was sealed using silicon! And was weeping

ckdIj.jpg

Manifold gaskets replaced - these were the soft plastic type so shouldn't perish in the future

uELUD.jpg

BhJMP.jpg

Everything back together

2qroF.jpg

9etF5.jpg

This evening I will hopefully get the engine and gearbox mated back up and get the clutch properly adjusted with the engine running again!
I always disconnect the king lead to the coil when turning over initially until the oil pressure light goes out so it doesnt run with no oil circulating, will probably have to add some more when that is done due to the new oil cooler being dry at the moment!

Will post again when I have finished! :D

Thanks for the kind words fellas - nice to know peeps take time to look at my thread!
Managed to get the engine in and running last night, clutch feels great compared to the early setup
No issues so far and have a test run this morn to work to check for any issues
Pretty please with how it all went considering I have done all the work myself without any help!
Never thought I would be able to remove a towbar on my own never mind everything else!

Anyway here are a couple of pics

Engine positioned ready to install - beer crates are soo helpful with this!

u2mz5.jpg

Engine popped in - next job was the towbar, bloody heavy!

F9LKe.jpg

And lastly a shot of the new sump plate - no leaks so far!!

lNYjS.jpg

Fingers crossed I get to work and back without issue!

8) 8)

Made it to work!
No issues and running nice - just need to get the new dizzy installed and a carb tune and we are ready for the summer

bvX6I.jpg

Great work - nice to see your bus ready for the season 8)

Crates are a good idea. I can get the engine out by myself but then getting it off the jack is a pain!!

Your pictures remind me to get some pipe clamps. Every time i disconnect the fuel line i think what a useful tool they would be and then forget to buy them.

Woz

Cheers fellas 8)
Did all the work myself without any assistance and I gain more confidence every time the engine comes out! Having a decent jack certainly helped loads and it all went back together well!

Proof of the pudding is in the eating though and fingers crossed the engine is still nice and dry without any leaks! Need to put a few thousand more miles on to be sure!

Just need to get the Dizzy fitted and carb tuned on Friday and we are good to go!

Home now after an awesome weekend - unfortunately no pics as we forgot the camera!
Great to catch up with old friends after a winter of no shows or camping
The weather sorted itself out eventually after a wet start to today

Just got home and ordered another couple of parts for the bus - new indicator stalk and relay after the main beam wont disengage and I managed to break the insides of the unit! :oops:

Five weeks to go before aircooled15

:msn4: :msn4: you coming in your bus Baz???? :lol: :lol: :msn4: :msn4:

Latest posts