Starter motor stuck on

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Over time Ive managed to get the knack of lightly getting the nut onto the d-bolt enough to be able to pull it into place whilst tightening it up ... use a flexi head ratchet spanner to fully tighten.

In the Airmighty magazine a while back, MarCo's tech tips suggested using superglue to hold the d-bolt in place, as it would hold, but could be knocked back out again as needed.

EDIT - Sorry, just saw that this starter doesn't use a d-bolt. As you were ...

Top bolt should be “D” shaped. So it doesn’t spin when you’re doing the nut up behind the fan shroud.

I tried to use this but found that the shape of the starter alloy body didn’t work with this bolt. The head would rise up slightly and not be flat against the starter flange head. I thought that in time it would grind the alloy metal and become loose. That’s why I went with the Allen head bolt.

I thought about dremelling the body of the starter to make the bolt head, above, fit snug but discounted this fairly quickly as I didn’t want to risk damaging the starter and void the warranty.

It may well work perfectly well with other non standard starter motors though.

That's either a loose connection or the solenoid sticking. Take it off, give it a clean and clean the terminals before refitting.

I will do that today thank you.
Took her out last night to pick the kids up. I actually changed the battery earth lead as that was dire, secretly hoping it was that. Started on the drive no problem, started in the petrol station fine as well. When we were all loaded up she wouldn't start. 6/7 attempts and I remember reading about putting the van in gear and rocking it. I couldn't remember what that was for, but I did it anyway and she started. I am unsure if I got lucky or not.

Rocking it will free a stuck pinion on the ring gear and it will also stop the gears on starter "dog ending" as they call it when the gear wont engage in the ring gear. Worn ring gear ?

The Powerlite doesn’t need the bush as it has a self supporting armature. If you last changed the bush 10 years ago you might need a new one fitting.
Do I need to upgrade the battery to accommodate the power lite. Currently have 600amp

Do I need to upgrade the battery to accommodate the power lite. Currently have 600amp
Wow, that’s some serious battery, is there any room for anything else? Are you sure it’s 600 amp or is that chubby fingers on a tiny keypad, that’s my usual reason.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,think mine is 50 ish :)

Is that 50ah or 50a.
Also my new starter motor seems to be disengaging before the engine has started. Which is why I tried a battery upgrade. The starters is a powerlite. Any suggestions?

Is that 50ah or 50a.
Also my new starter motor seems to be disengaging before the engine has started. Which is why I tried a battery upgrade. The starters is a powerlite. Any suggestions?
Is that roughly the problem you had with the original starter motor before fitting this powerlite starter.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,This is turning into a bit of a mare bud. :)

Is that roughly the problem you had with the original starter motor before fitting this powerlite starter.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,This is turning into a bit of a mare bud. :)
No the old starter just didn’t turn over very well.
The new battery is 750cca
But still the same problem 🥴

No the old starter just didn’t turn over very well.
The new battery is 750cca
But still the same problem 🥴
If you’ve got battery power and a new starter motor that pretty much just leaves the wiring. It’s just gotta be the main leads. Check your two battery leads both ends and clean them up nicely and clean the terminals too. Do the same with the gearbox earth lead. :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,there ain’t much left.

P.S.
I had exactly this and it was the earth lead from the battery but it was where it was bolted to the bodywork just behind that little angled bit. Just couldn’t see it until it came off in my hand.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Short the starter too to eliminate the leads.

P.S.
I had exactly this and it was the earth lead from the battery but it was where it was bolted to the bodywork just behind that little angled bit. Just couldn’t see it until it came off in my hand.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, Short the starter too to eliminate the leads.
I can make new battery cables up to around a metre, in 6, 10, 16, 25, 35, 40, 50mm CSA hi-flex multistrand red or black cable. Highest quality copper crimps, plated so look dull silver/grey. Sealed to cable with heavy duty glue lined heatshrink on hexagon crimps.
Copex (protective convoluted plastic sleeving) sleeved, with standard heatshrink at ends is also an option.
Just need to work out a reasonable price + postage, but they can be pretty heavy.

I can make new battery cables up to around a metre, in 6, 10, 16, 25, 35, 40, 50mm CSA hi-flex multistrand red or black cable. Highest quality copper crimps, plated so look dull silver/grey. Sealed to cable with heavy duty glue lined heatshrink on hexagon crimps.
Copex (protective convoluted plastic sleeving) sleeved, with standard heatshrink at ends is also an option.
Just need to work out a reasonable price + postage, but they can be pretty heavy.
With all due respect, before you go off ordering half the ordinance to keep the Chinese navy afloat for a decade, let’s just prove what’s wrong. You can replace or temporarily help the existing wiring with jump leads to work out exactly what your issue is. If you short your starter with a hefty screwdriver you’ll know if power is there at the terminals then you can begin your search. I personally would take the earth lead off the battery get it in my grubby sweaty little puds and wiggle it and waggle it for a bit to make sure it’s well connected in the termination ends then clean them up to shining (ends) and clean where they connect to the terminal and the bodywork, then do the exact same thing to the gearbox to chassis earth strap. You can also help them by connecting a decent jump lead to similar places. At least you can then prove it is them breaking down or disprove it. Then we’re half way there. I wouldn’t do it today unless you’re in a garage or you might end up being blown down the road.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,Tis draughty out there today. :)

Just to add to that, if you think you may need to replace any leads, then you’ll need to take the old leads off anyway and clean up the surfaces and fixing bolts etc, so if you do that first then if you do need new leads, you’ll have half the job already done.

Ozziedog',,,,,,,,,,,,, We’ll get there :)

Latest posts