Starter motor stuck on

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie58

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Bay window tin top
I just finished re tuning the carb and when I parked it on the driveway and turned the engine off the starter motor was still going with a loud screeching noise. I had to disconnect the battery to stop it ?
What’s going on here?
Can anyone help. Many thanks

More likely a faulty ign switch, had that happen twice as the pattern ones are rubbish and they end up not springing back from start. If it carried on with switch turned off then solenoid or wiring fault.

More likely a faulty ign switch, had that happen twice as the pattern ones are rubbish and they end up not springing back from start. If it carried on with switch turned off then solenoid or wiring fault.
Those are quite fun to fix. Let me get my folding chair and some popcorn.

Ok fitted the new starter and just putting the wiring back and noticed the main power lead was rotten 🥴 so now gotta wait for the new lead to test it.

If you have bolted it up tightly then something like Ozzie says. Does it start the engine ok?
It has a different note compared to the Bosch starter.
How did you solve the top bolt problem, did you you have another helper?

Engine starts fine. Do think the old starter motor could have damaged the flywheel? Broken a tooth or something?

Did you guys change the bush as well?

I have a clifford alarm and for the longest time I thought it was the immobilser being a twat. However, I am starting to wonder if the starter motor is sticking. I turn the key and hear a click and that is all. Sometimes she starts just fine, other times it takes 5-6+ attempts.

I know that I bought a new starter motor but that was a decade ago now, I am not sure if I am just better off getting a new starter motor or not. And if I need to change the bush as well. Ideally, I could do without having to remove the engine.

Coolair have a VW reconditioned one which seems reasonable, these high torque ones seem too much dosh.

I have a clifford alarm and for the longest time I thought it was the immobilser being a twat. However, I am starting to wonder if the starter motor is sticking. I turn the key and hear a click and that is all. Sometimes she starts just fine, other times it takes 5-6+ attempts.

I know that I bought a new starter motor but that was a decade ago now, I am not sure if I am just better off getting a new starter motor or not. And if I need to change the bush as well. Ideally, I could do without having to remove the engine.

Coolair have a VW reconditioned one which seems reasonable, these high torque ones seem too much dosh.
That's either a loose connection or the solenoid sticking. Take it off, give it a clean and clean the terminals before refitting.

The Powerlite doesn’t need the bush as it has a self supporting armature. If you last changed the bush 10 years ago you might need a new one fitting.

Did the top bolt ok. Stuck my arm down the back of the fan housing. Awkward but got there ok. 👍
The reason I asked about the top bolt, is that it’s very difficult to do on your own, as the bolt head is under the bus and the nut is in the engine bay. I am curious as to what bolt you have used.
I bought an Allen head bolt and had a helper holding the nut, whilst I tightened up the bolt underneath. A hex head bolt would also work but the usual size head for M10 bolts is 17mm which would make it difficult to get a socket on in that small space. :unsure:

Latest posts