Restoring Mollie (69 Bay) 500+ Photos

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick-Rackham said:
ooro said:
keep it up nick.....i`ll pop over from time to time to lend a hand ;)
Cheers Bud, may need an enthusiasm injection soon! ;)

Find a picture of a really dope looking early bay and sit gazing at it for 2 hours saying 'mine will look like that' ;)
I should give up being a diesel fitter and become a theropist :D

:lol: :lol:

Been off with the lurgy so nothing done this week. Still feeling crap so probably won't get on it until after the weekend. Got a shed coming in 2 weeks so will be able to stash all the bits that are coming off her. Once I got it I'll strip her down completely, so front beam, gearbox and rear arms off, all glass out etc. Give me more space to work hopefully!

Westy Richardson said:
Nick-Rackham said:
ooro said:
keep it up nick.....i`ll pop over from time to time to lend a hand ;)
Cheers Bud, may need an enthusiasm injection soon! ;)

Find a picture of a really dope looking early bay and sit gazing at it for 2 hours saying 'mine will look like that' ;)
I should give up being a diesel fitter and become a theropist :D

:lol: :lol:

Lol, don't give up the day job! ;) good idea tho! I'm hoping to achieve the kind of quality work that moler over on SSVC works to (check out http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=39870&start=315" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and I've got a couple of photo's of slammed tintops just to give me a kick up the arse! Going to be a long winter!

Hope the hour or so of my time gained you muchos progress in this resto :lol:

Grazy said:
:lol: yep, just what I needed :) My daughter reckons you look like Ross from Friends! Not sure if that's a compliment or not! :lol:

Cheers Bud

OK, bit of an update! Plenty of photo's for you picture pervs! ;) Chopped a bit more off the rear arch area to see what's going on behind / underneath
eLJzC.jpg

and more....
mnIRA.jpg

Decided to try and get these undertrays / belly pans off! What a nightmare, not just spot welded but seam welded to the chassis rail! hmmmm....
MdlYc.jpg

But not looking so bad underneath, floor looks OK....
KuUFa.jpg

Apart from this rear corner! May need to cut after all !!!!
5IxkX.jpg

All outriggers and jacking points shot to ****
b5Pnq.jpg

Decided to have a rummage around underneath the front arches. I noticed some "bobbles" in the thick gloss paint that's covering the entire interior, so ........
l1ijE.jpg

Looks like that age old repair duo "Pop Rivet" and his ever faithful old lady "Ma Stik" have been to visit....
haoCH.jpg

While I was at it I had a look around underneath and looks like Mollie has been home to a family of harvest mice (now vacated)....
70IqZ.jpg

Back to the floor, had a long think about it, and looking at the damage to the front, behind the front arches, and the rot around the heater tubes, and the rear corners near the arches, I figured I was wasting my time trying to get the floor out whole, so I started to cut. Not what I wanted, but hopefully I can save enough of the centre sections, and run repairs to the edges. We'll see....

Enough for now! need food.....

Nick-Rackham said:
Grazy said:
:lol: yep, just what I needed :) My daughter reckons you look like Ross from Friends! Not sure if that's a compliment or not! :lol:

Cheers Bud

Dont know if its good or not either , My lady thinks he is well nice so i guess thats why she likes me :?

Nick-Rackham said:
Grazy said:

Cheers Bud

:lol: :lol: Could be worse Graeme, she could have said Chandler ;)

ant said:
Hope what lurks behind my belly pans is as good as that nick!... keep up the good work :)
Cheers Ant. Looked good at first glance, but if your pans are seam welded on then good luck :) nightmare to get off! 71Westy had a look at his and they are spot welded, not so bad, but trying to grind off seam welds without damaging chassis rails is not so much fun!!

OK, so after 3 weeks with Pig Flu (Not Fun - Do I feel old!!!!) had to get back on with it.

Decided to start chopping floor out as all the edges etc were shot. Did it logically (I hope) so it may be possible to form and weld new edges and use existing floor to put back....... Time will tell

Outrigger almost fell off
3geSZ.jpg

fHbFU.jpg

And again..
yGQhr.jpg

And more...
920JE.jpg

EdugL.jpg

Last one...
Gkd50.jpg

Ordered Outriggers, jacking points, tophats, repair panels for rear of front arch etc etc
KgejN.jpg

So that's it so far on the underneath / chassis. Then I got bored....
npBcS.jpg

Decided to bare metal the rear corner. Something didn't seem right, the lines weren't perfect, bubbles in paint etc, you know what I mean..... There's a repair underneath there somewhere but not sure how bad. I had a good feel around the inside of the panel and it felt like a relief map of the alps...

So here goes...
7iYo8.jpg

Filler, Filler everywhere
mYVOT.jpg

Obviously not pulled the dents out first!
f9EpR.jpg

8lPrW.jpg

What lies beneath.......
KefEY.jpg

jvpaz.jpg

LFtyB.jpg

great!! :cry:
IOCJk.jpg

So looks like I need to add panel bashing to my repertoire! woopie do!!

I'll post up another thread on this bit as I think I will need some advice on how best to get this panel straight (or curved) again!!

That's all for now......

Don't we all just love PO's :evil:

Underneath looks just like mine - welcome to the bottom 6 inch club ;)

Nice to see a full on Bay resto, not enough are done :)

You have PM on the otherside ;)

Well it's been a while! Garage has been filled with stuff to store for the ex! (long story!) so haven't had much space to work on Mollie, have been working on the bug though (see sig for link). Hoping to be able to get on again soon and hopefully make some headway!! Cheers, Nick

Back on it :D

Ex moved her shite out of my garage so I now have room :) working on a mates Split last month and on Grazy's bad boy panel this weekend was the kick up the arse I needed! Couldn't be fooked to get down underneath and carry on where I left off half a year ago so decided to get the sliding door off.

ndN09.jpg

cS90x.jpg

moLAB.jpg

Needs a lot of work (which I can do outside when it's nice) and gives me more room to get at the floor and the inner, middle and outer sills!

So.... Off comes the sliding door! NOT :evil: Fookin screws won't come out of the cover track, grinder out! sorted Now, looking at the Haynes and outher books I have to remove the screw than comes through from inside (half a turn and it sheared!) Should have realised the omen!! :roll: OK, so now I have to undo the release screw 15 turns and strike sharply :) I likes the sound of that bit.

wHmbE.jpg

nkGil.jpg

2 turns later it's sheared! F*ck!! What the f*ck to do now? So how can I get the cover off and carry on removing the sliding door? Fookin Haynes doesn't cover this bit does it!

Sure when I did mine, i couldn't get the track cover off either so I removed the 'U' bracket from the sliding door and left it in the track, then door came off easily :)

Then got a load of penetrating fluid down the track cover clamp bit and gently went along the channel with a chisel easing it open until i was able to get the cover off.

Cheers Kev. May have to resort to that! ;) I've been banging away with a thin bolster / scraper thingy. Getting somewhere! There's movement in about the front 3rd of the track now so hopefully later today should see the track cover removed!

This is my lucky day :D

This arrived this morning :D well chuffed...
fagNC.jpg

Bargain off fleabay. Going down the Porsche 944 route for brakes same as Mychatype3 (see his post http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17064&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) so these will give me a little start on the way to collecting all the bits :D got some time as yet so, back onto these track covers. Left the sliding door one overnight soaking in a cocktail of every penetrating oil, antirust stuff I have and the front started to move a bit. Belting it with the lump hammer and block of wood!

Got bored with the sliding door side so had a go at the off side. Popped straight off! but now at least I can see how it goes now :)
jcuwo.jpg

A bit of rust to chop and replace
YofdN.jpg

But the rest cleaned up OK ish. a few bits that are badly pitted, so may chop them out and do it properly
SiWCH.jpg

Got the fixed panel to do as well...
rOGXg.jpg

So back to the sliding door one!
cmrid.jpg

Still won't shift! So, question, do I chop it off and replace with a repro / secondhand one later? or keep at it? Time wise, spent about 3 hours knocking the crap out of it! I think that the locking plate hasn't gone back far enough, and doesn't seem to want to either!

So started to soak all the nuts and bolts on this...
JylW5.jpg

QAOKk.jpg

so I can start taking it apart, stash the bits I need and move on the bits I don't!

Hopefully more tomorrow :D

Latest posts