Restoring Mollie (69 Bay) 500+ Photos

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. Perhaps my niggly problems aren't so bad :)

If you want moral support any time, give me a bell and I can come round and drink coffee, shake my head and suck air in through my teeth whilst staring at the latest rust hole :)

Cheers,
Nick

Update. Asked for help in getting the motor out of the back so I can get into the engine bay and clean it all up before starting repairs on the backend.

What can I say!! ooro, Westy Richardson and Grazy popped round this afternoon. Westy is a mobile workshop on wheels!! (Nice Bus - I Love Westy's) Should have taken pics, but it all happened so fast, one minute drinking coffee / beer, and next thing I know ooro and Westy's legs are the only thing that can be seen sticking out from underneath the backend of Mollie!! I'm sure it took longer, but seemed like 10 minutes, and they were there saying "so where's this engine going?" and it was out! Just like that!

Absolutely fantastic guys, can't thank you enough. This has to be the best forum, (and group of new mates) around!

So, engine is out, and started having a prod around. Started to remove the firewall so I can get the tank out but seems stuck at the bottom edge? plenty of firesafe goop stuck everywhere! Will keep going tomorrow hopefully. Started having a look to see what the state of the floor is like from underneath, but as I've got the 3 undertray floor pans welded in place is a bit difficult. Both the rear outriggers have gone completely and looks like rear most top hat will need some repairs too.

So tomorrow will hopefully see the undertray floor pans off, (Got a glimpse of some shiny metal through a few rust holes so hopefully the floor isn't too bad a shape!) and try and unstick the firewall!

Thanks again guys :)

71Westy said:
Hmm. Perhaps my niggly problems aren't so bad :)

If you want moral support any time, give me a bell and I can come round and drink coffee, shake my head and suck air in through my teeth whilst staring at the latest rust hole :)

Cheers,
Nick

Moral support is always welcome ;) and coffee is in plentiful supply :)

Nick-Rackham said:
Started to remove the firewall so I can get the tank out but seems stuck at the bottom edge? plenty of firesafe goop stuck everywhere! Will keep going tomorrow hopefully. Started having a look to see what the state of the floor is like from underneath, but as I've got the 3 undertray floor pans welded in place is a bit difficult. Both the rear outriggers have gone completely and looks like rear most top hat will need some repairs too.

So tomorrow will hopefully see the undertray floor pans off, (Got a glimpse of some shiny metal through a few rust holes so hopefully the floor isn't too bad a shape!) and try and unstick the firewall!

There are 3 or 4 difficult to see screws up near the gear box for the firewall, then it just lifts up :)

Nick-Rackham said:
type2tattoo said:
There are 3 or 4 difficult to see screws up near the gear box for the firewall, then it just lifts up :)

Cheers, Must have missed them! ;)

No worries :) Luckily a friend told me about them before I started, saved me some time and head scratching, still took a while to realise it lifts straight up though :)

Good Luck with the resto, looks in good nick ....well compared to mine lol I am breaking a '69 if you need any bits :)

type2tattoo said:
Nick-Rackham said:
type2tattoo said:

Cheers, Must have missed them! ;)

No worries :) Luckily a friend told me about them before I started, saved me some time and head scratching, still took a while to realise it lifts straight up though :)

Good Luck with the resto, looks in good nick ....well compared to mine lol I am breaking a '69 if you need any bits :)
LOL, undid the 4 screws as you said and of it came! Looks 99.9% factory behind it! Shiny fuel tank bay, no rust, and perfect fuel tank, no rust at all! Must be the best bit on the bus!! (will keep you in mind about breaking a 69 - cheers)

Managed to get part of one of the undertray floor panels off this afternoon, couldn't believe it, inner and outer sill gone completely, plus the outer box section that the top hats fix to, but apart from that, clen shiny metal both chassis rails and underside of the floor!! Well chuffed, giving me a bit of encouragement to get the rust off and start cleaning up ready to weld in ne panels! :) (Pics to follow)

Engine out Courtesy of Westy Richardson, ooro, and Grazy - Acting in an advisory position ;)

Not sure what I was doing here :?
wBCcd.jpg

Main seal has gone apparently! be one of those on the shopping list!
pdkP5.jpg

Spankin! Just like new :)
CV36D.jpg

Floor viewed "through" sill :?
4oYtg.jpg

Pity the rest isn't like it! Near side rear corner
uisN9.jpg

Off side rear corner
S3ETr.jpg

Above Engine bay
7Y2XT.jpg

Inside rear offside arch
AemX6.jpg

Front of rear offside arch / sill
uJGeL.jpg

Inside view
o5uMB.jpg

So, I guess that work continues! The underfloor trays are a ****** to get off, so, as there is rust on the inner wheel arch / floor join I'm going to take the floor up. That will give me access to the undertrays so I can cut them off from above, also let me see what the damage is to the floor / wheel arch area (got a new tub to cut in) and then I can hopefully start cleaning up what's left and start tackin some panels back on!

Good work Nick , ill pop round again soon to offer more advice , pointing and coffee drinking :lol:

Grazy said:
Good work Nick , ill pop round again soon to offer more advice , pointing and coffee drinking :lol:
Pop round any time, you now know where the kettle is, and if you're lucky, you can sweep up again! ;)

It was a familiar situation for me and Oroo, because about the same time last year we were doing the same thing to my Westy :(

On the plus side though, i got a nice new shiney engine :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Good to see someone else in the same boat as me :)

Just started stripping mine out last weekend but unfortunately its on me mum and dads drive 6 mile away, so only get to do bits now and then (and only a matter of time before my dad will want his Focus back on the drive:) )

Hopefully begining of November will get it up on the ramps at my mates and then the fun really begins :roll:

Nugsy said:
Good to see someone else in the same boat as me :)

Just started stripping mine out last weekend but unfortunately its on me mum and dads drive 6 mile away, so only get to do bits now and then (and only a matter of time before my dad will want his Focus back on the drive:) )

Hopefully begining of November will get it up on the ramps at my mates and then the fun really begins :roll:

I'm not sure who quoted this but "Never underestimate the RUST" it's everywhere! Just when you think you've got back to a solid bit to start with, it falls away in your hands! ;)

Have you started a restore thread for your bus yet? be good to compare?

Nick, forgot to ask. Are you taking the gearbox out too? If you what a hand, the mobile workshop is up for some more spannering :lol:

Westy Richardson said:
Nick, forgot to ask. Are you taking the gearbox out too? If you what a hand, the mobile workshop is up for some more spannering :lol:

Cheers Karl, yep will definitely need a hand to get the running gear off (and gearbox) but this weekend I'm getting a proper workbench made! One of my mates is a master chippy so working out on the drive at the mo knocking lumps of wood about! I'll post some pics up later.

Tomorrow is going to be spent trying to get the floor out in one / two pieces without cutting it and then the undertrays off! If anyone wants to pass a few hours spot weld drilling, and or cutting undertrays off, always more than welcome! ;)

Update: Work progressing slowly! Too slowly! Still drilling out spot welds in the floor so I can try and get it out without cutting it! Once the floor is out I'll be able to see how much repair is needed to the wheel tub and floor joint. Once that's clear in my head I can start cleaning it up and hopefully start getting some metal back on!

Anyways! My mate Mark popped over at the weekend to make me a bench. Decided that vice and folder on the floor wasn't a good idea so enlisted his help!

Here it is...... Legs being prepared (Mark the Master Chippy :) )
UKrDQ.jpg

Legs all done
Wr7J3.jpg

That bit fits!
zV1Ll.jpg

Frame finished
yR6Jg.jpg

Top done, Front Rail in progress
eEI2k.jpg

Ta Daaaa..... He's a TOP BLOKE hope my welding / fabrication is as good as his woodcraft!
V9JSL.jpg

9ktuU.jpg

Put some old Kitchen Cupboards up to stash bits in, cheers Jo
E1lIF.jpg

Then got bored with spot weld drilling and decided to mark out and cut the rusty crap off the wheel arch!

7n5xy.jpg

c0Vmo.jpg

and that's up to date! Hopeully a couple of nights this week will see the rest of the spot welds removed in the floor and fingers crossed it will be out!

Next steps: got a shed coming so I can stash the bits I need to take off, ie Gearbox, front and rear suspension etc. May make up a couple of wheeled brackets / frames to hold her up so I can move her about to get some space to work in. Garage width is not good!!

Nice bit of wood work going on 8)

Why didn't you take the floorpans off?

gninnam said:
Nice bit of wood work going on 8)

Why didn't you take the floorpans off?

Well chuffed with the bench :)

Floor pans causing a bit of a headache. not up on stands at the moment so not much room to work, plus so much paint, underseal etc underneath thought it best to get the floor up and then the pans off from the top, ie cut through. Although having just read what I've written sounds like a poor excuse! They have to come off, so I'll get my **** in gear and tackle them next! :)

Latest posts