"Quality" fuel rubber hose 1 yr old and split SAE J30 R9

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
subheatadey said:
I spoke to the guy at Advanced fluid and he told me the R9 stuff was shit and to go for Bio-fuel line which is 4 times the price but hopefully 4 times (or more the quality). It's not fitted yet so i can't comment on whether it is or not though it's the stuff that goes in top of the line cars - we shall see. Its not just the ethanol but also the heat and i believe static that plays a part in the degradation maybe electric fuels pumps play a part in this?

If the R9 was shit, why did they sell it to me then? :roll:

Bio fuel line? Reading a few posts on the 'tinternet I came to the conclusion that a fuel pipe with a Fluoroelastomer/Nitrile liner which resists the stuff in modern fuel - I assume ethanol, I think it's more of a issue in the US, as i believe they run more ethanol in the fuel than we do?

So, this I think is a better pipe:

http://ww2.gates.com/europe/brochure.cfm?brochure=12647&location_id=19079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe this too:

http://www.goodyearep.com/ProductsDetail.aspx?id=17700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't see heat as a excuse for cracking, as all my pipes are in the cool zone of the engine, so no different than a normal car, especially with the moon vents and fan drawing cool air into the compartment all the time

I also think that some of the other fuel hose, maybe the R9 is permeable with fuel vapours, maybe without the inner core, the fuel can evaporate through the rubber, perhaps it's this, along with modern fuel blend which is causing the cracking? Talk of a fuel smell from apparently non leaking hoses, sounds like my van..........

Maybe introducing more metal lines into the system, but that means more leak potential at joins

Metal tubing

http://www.cohline-uk.org/html/tubing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a interesting read:

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/9/viewthread.php?tid=153126" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And a Government paper on E5/E10 fuels:

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/qinetiq-10-02471-assessing-fuel-system-compatability-with-bio-ethanol-and-risk-of-carburettor-icing/bioethanolstudyreport.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that not all SAE30 R9 has the inner liner supposed to resist modern fuels? I need to look more into E85 rated fuel hose, like the Gates Barricade one which looks spot on, though i am struggling to find it in the UK

And it's 6mm, not 5.6???

See what you guys think?

Cheers,

Alistair

I'm using pipe from volksbolts, Made by Codan I think ? Still good after 2-3 years.

RICH-I-AM said:
Ive just looked at mine. It seas r6 on it. Fitted a year ago and still like new inside and out :?
Chopped it all up now as I was doing a CSI on it.
May try and contact hairy yetty now.

Rich

I put cheap GSF r6 (its about £4 a meter with clips i think) in my beetle 18 months ago; I check it every month or so and its not got brittle or stiff, neither has it cracked.

I use this car daily too, I have attempted to put as much solid line as possible from tank to pump though, all rubber from pump to carb.

Sent from my 02_jbla668 using Tapatalk

subheatadey said:
I spoke to the guy at Advanced fluid and he told me the R9 stuff was shit and to go for Bio-fuel line which is 4 times the price but hopefully 4 times (or more the quality). It's not fitted yet so i can't comment on whether it is or not though it's the stuff that goes in top of the line cars - we shall see. Its not just the ethanol but also the heat and i believe static that plays a part in the degradation maybe electric fuels pumps play a part in this?

Have you got the link to the Bio-fuel line.

I need some when I refit my engine so watching this thread. Shocking

Had the same problem with the R9 pipe started to crack after a couple of years. I have just fitted the Bio Fuel pipe it is nice and soft easy to fit, it is a bit more expensive but then so is your van.

He is the link sorry. http://www.advancedfluidsolutions.co.uk/55mm-id-732-100-bio-fuel-hose-diesel--petrol-2015-p.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi,

We at VW Aircooled Works have been arguing about this for a while, and did a write up for hayburner a couple of issues ago, trying to raise awareness of the issue.

Ethanol effects both R6 and R9 fuel lines. The rate of deterioration all depends upon how you use your camper van. Modern cars are not normally stored for long period of times like we do our VW's. This is where the main deterioration occurs when not in use. Both R6 an R9 line do contain rubber which is what the ethanol effects. It removes the natural oils from the fuel line causing it to crack and go brittle. R9 is superior to the braided stuff and can be used in petrol containing up to E10. However it does need checking and replacing regularly depending upon how you use your van.

Biofuel line does not contain rubber and is impermeable to ethanol so will not split or deteriorate due to the presence of ethanol and can be used in upto E100 biofuel. Though normal maintenance of check clips and fuel filters is required. (We offer single and carb kits and fuel cut off solenoid tank kits)

If you have a look at our website we have done a big write up explaining the difference and how the products are effected, and have links to both the EC regs for petrol and the QInetiO study which looks at this issue in depth.

Hope you don't mind me posting but it is something that I am passionate about and have been trying to let people know about for the while.

Kind Regards
Colleen
VW Aircooled Works

I bought new R9 piping to do the same but this bio-fuel line looks like a better idea.

By the way have you hooked up those two connectors so you can run an oil pressure gauge off the standard oil pressure switch? :msn4:

Here's a bit more info to add to Colleen's.

It explains the reasons why our machines are more suseptable to damage from ethanol than modern cars with sealed fuel systems.

http://www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphics/Pages/ethanol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

US website discussing British cars - but it all counts.

Phil.

gr00veg0d said:

I bought new R9 piping to do the same but this bio-fuel line looks like a better idea.

By the way have you hooked up those two connectors so you can run an oil pressure gauge off the standard oil pressure switch? :msn4:

I got the new bio fuel hose kit yesterday from VW Aircooled Works, quick delivery, with a brief discussion of my carb hose size requirements, and also ordered some new metal pipe to go through the bulkhead/tinware, it's ready for me to fit hopefully at the weekend. It comes with a good quality fuel filter, (better than the usual GSF offering) some fuel clips which look stainless, (thin ones), sticker, leaflet on the other items they sell, extinquisher etc, and a copy of a earlier issue of Hayburner which was a nice touch. ;) Unfortunatly I'm not too sure if I have the van in 25+ years to know if the pipe lasts as long as it says, but it should certainly last longer than the R9 stuff......

The extra wire on my pressure gauge is for a "savemybug.com" oil temp sensor, great little thin, gives a visual warning of too high oil temperature by flashing the oil light on the dash/remaining on for very high running temperature.....reezevan on her is selling some, or can get direct from the guy who makes them in the US, though may be cheaper from reezevan?

I'll post up pictures of it all once fitted, on here so folks can see what you get, and on my thread to keep it updated

Cheers,

Alistair

RePhil said:
Here's a bit more info to add to Colleen's.

It explains the reasons why our machines are more suseptable to damage from ethanol than modern cars with sealed fuel systems.

http://www.mossmotors.com/SiteGraphics/Pages/ethanol.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

US website discussing British cars - but it all counts.

Phil.

Interesting, looking forward to rusty leaking tanks then? :roll: :lol: Bet Frost will be shitting tons of tank sealer over the next few years then......

Heard quite a few things about modern bio fuels in old cars, maybe early days for us just yet, aside from crap R9 fuel hoses.......

Alistair

Latest posts