Propex Heater, how we did mine.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacramentobay

Reaction score
Hi everyone, as the title suggests this is a link to my blog on how we installed my propex heater, leisure battery, split charge relay and 1000w inverter.

http://my1969vwmicrobus.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/leisure-battery-propex-heater-and-power.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this is of interest...
Dave

Hi Dave,

Great write up, thank you for posting.

I'd be interested to see how you install the gas bottle (airtight box vented to the outside?).

Well done, great photos.

Cheers.

Andy

70-CA-Panel said:
Hi Dave,

Great write up, thank you for posting.

I'd be interested to see how you install the gas bottle (airtight box vented to the outside?).

Well done, great photos.

Cheers.

Andy

Hi Andy, glad you liked my blog write up... the gas bottles (1 for the cooker & 1 for the heater) are in the unit nearest to the sliding door. No vent outside. The hoses are connected to the gas bottles and do not leak, so no need for an external vent. Having said that I do have a carbon monoxide dectector in the bus, but it's never gone off.
Cheers
Dave.

"The hoses are connected to the gas bottles and do not leak,"

It like saying I don't wear a seatbelt because I don't crash.

The van vibrates and things work lose over time. My propane bottle manage to leak half it's contents over the winter as I forgot to close the tap. I used a plastic drain fitting from B&Q through the floor.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Just to let you know, when I had my interior made, I "HAD TO" have a hole in the bottom of the gas cupboard floor to the outside to vent any gas "in the event of" a gas leak.

I'm not sure a "carbon monoxide" detector will detect Propane or Butane. It will probably detect carbon monoxide, but thats only if you have a battery in it....but considering you dont have a carbon dioxide leak you wont need a battery...just kidding :D

Nice write up! I would check with a caravan company or any campervan interior company for information on the legislation around this. Insurance companies will do anything to get out of not paying out...i.e. unlawful/uncertificated installations of gas appliances

jonboylaw, haveacamper, point taken about the hole in the floor. As I mentioned in the blog I will be building a new unit to house the cooker and gas bottles so maybe I need to think about a hole in the floor.
I have had the gas bottle for the cooker for 3 years now and it is always turned off when I've finished cooking and the gas connections are checked regularly for leaks, and so far so good.
I know things vibrate and come loose, hence the regular checks.
Thanks for your comments, and they are duly noted.
Cheers
Dave

Hi Dave,

Didn't mean to open a can of worms! Might help you with your next box design.

Good to know the safety and regs, thanks dubzdubz for posting from TLB.
In Germany all changes to vehicles must be checked by a testing station this includes interiors.
The gas bottles need to be in an airtight compartment to the interior and vented to the outside.
The door also needs to be well above the floor of the gasbottle and the vent needs to be as low as possible.
I wasn't sure what the requirements were here.

Contemplating of getting a gas heater or a petrol or diesel one...

dubdubz said:
the rules

http://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/gas-regulations-in-vans.22884/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hands up all those peeps who don't comply with 'the rules'? Sealed cupboards, vents in floors? I know I don't.

Should I be worried? :msn4:

KevH said:
dubdubz said:
the rules

http://thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/gas-regulations-in-vans.22884/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hands up all those peeps who don't comply with 'the rules'? Sealed cupboards, vents in floors? I know I don't.

Should I be worried? :msn4:

no prob not - but I do have the drop out vent hole, as mentioned most accidents are not bottles splitting or exploding - its escaped gas. I use hose fittings and not jubille clips and replace gas hose regurlarly...

worried no -theres no fun in that , aware that some safety should be adhered too is a much better outlook! 8)

I have vented through floor, gas bottle strapping vertically and my cupboard door is approx. 50 from the bottom of the unit....not sealed though. I had my cooker, BBQ hookup and propex installed by certified gas engineer

you only need one f*@k up once, to be parked on the side of the motorway while someone is uploaded a video of you to facebook!

Thanks for all the replies guys.. my blog is meant to show how I do things on my bus, whether it's the correct way or not, I don't know until you guys advise me!

Thanks to Dubdubz for posting 'the rules' which is very interesting and maybe I should have read this before installing my propex heater! Thanks to jonboylaw and haveacamper for the advise about the vent in the gas cupboard, which I will incorpoarte in my new cooker unit when I finally get round to building it.

And thanks to 70-CA-panel for 'opening a can of worms' it is only through forums like this that we all learn the rights and wrongs on how to do things, and the more feedback from other members the better as it can only be a good thing right?

Thanks guys.
Dave

Latest posts