Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sparkywig said:
As suggested above, it's either plug leads on incorrectly or the timing is way out.
It's trying to fire but the ignition system is out somewhere.
Thanks Si.
Will double check everything again regards the plug leads but sure they are correct.
Also, will check the timing using the static way as do not have a gun or anything!

Had a look just after dinner.
Took the valve cover off and rotated the engine after the inlet valve closed etc so pretty close to TDC (unless I am mistaken?)
The arm on the dizzy was around 90 degrees further round (clock wise)
Moved the cables around to suit the change (moved cable 1 to where cable 4 was, 4 to 3 and 3 to 2 with 2 going where 1 was.
Fuel down the carb and tried again.
No spit back from the carb this time and a lot more exhaust gas coming out but didn't catch.
Tried moving the dizzy round a bit but still no joy.
Closer

I remember doing some "tuning" some years ago on my late bay. I can't even remember what/why we were doing this, but my helper was turning the dizzy whilst I cranked it. First of all it made a loud bang and scared the s*it out of him. Then it started to catch and all was well. Probably not the recommended way though!

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

fallingoffalot said:
I remember doing some "tuning" some years ago on my late bay. I can't even remember what/why we were doing this, but my helper was turning the dizzy whilst I cranked it. First of all it made a loud bang and scared the s*it out of him. Then it started to catch and all was well. Probably not the recommended way though!

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk
Grass roots 'tuning' :lol:
Will have another look tomorrow if the weather holds out as have a few more ideas!!

This morning had another look.
Cam cover off on the right and started to rotate the engine until I saw the intake port close on cylinder 1.

Took out the spark plug and shoved in the end of a piece of metal and the piston was at the top.
Checked the pulley and the groove was pointing nearly at the case split - so close to TDC on piston 1 then.
Took the cam cover off on the other side and when I rocked the engine back and forth I could see the rockers moving on cylinder 3 so definitely not TDC on cylinder 3.

Took the dizzy cap off and this is the position of the rotor arm - moved the body of the dizzy so that the points look to be closed and here are some pics.

So - I will have to move the plug cable for number one to the bottom.

Oh and the cat came in to help….

Not tried to fire it up yet as I wanted you guys input first.

Have you static timed the dissy using a 12 volt test lamp? The rotor arm looks to be too far around from your pic. It looks as though its at 6 oclock instead of 4 oclock if that makes sense.

I will get this in quick before Spamhaus gets me again.
Excellent job and glad to see you at it again , hope all are well.

J & P
:D :D :D

Spent some time with Subheatadey and his mate Nige looking at the problem and trying various things.
Was going to start the static timing and it look like the condensor has gone so will order a couple and have another go!

Had another look today with Adey and Nige.
The issue with the dizzy is the rotor is out by about 15 degrees or so, so the distributor drive in the engine block needed to be moved anti-clockwise to put it in the correct orientation so Nige had a good idea of how to do this which worked.

Static then strobe to check the timing and now looks spot on.

But - engine still won't start. On the key it seems to turnover slowly which we think could be the issue or the jets in the carb so will have another look next weekend.

So close and all that!

Keeping my fingers crossed the lightbulb moment happens. I got frustrated earlier this year with cut outs, not starting, etc. Ending buying in dribs and drabs all the connections and parts that I researched in blogs, threads and Google land. That distributor turn? Paul did say that it wasn’t reaching internally the full extent to where it should be and tweaked it. And marrying timing issues too. Also stripping carb, etc. With all his Guru experience we both were scratching our heads. I can’t remember all the little considerations and replacements. But. Suddenly everything came good. Then everything just dropped into place. Good fortune with it all. You’ve got some good friends there it seems. And when you’re on the road next year there’ll be a huge smile on your face.

Thanks mate - always nice to ready your missives :)

Oh - the engine works (massive shout to Nige and Adey - awesome peeps) !!!!
Will upload a vid once the battery is charged ;)

Battery looks to be goosed - even after charging all day still only showed 80%.
Charged another battery which I will use (too big for the van as from my old Audi A8) to just show you that it works then will buy another battery.
I think the battery in the van is from my old Ford Focus so not surprised its foobared.......

Latest posts