Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back and forth....

Dragged the wife out so she could turn the ignition on for the starter to engage while I was at the danger end to see if it turns.
Turned the key and nothing (battery has around 12.2 volts so should be enough to turn it over).
Put a screwdriver across the starter terminals and can hear the starter motor whirring around but the solenoid didn't kick in.
Using the key, nothing. Before the motor went in and the key was turned the starter did whir round so confused.

Thoughts anyone?

From what I can remember, there was only on spade terminal on the solenoid but will have another look.
It could be the battery as putting our around 12.25 volts. When I take the dash pod out and place a multimeter on the ignition switch cable, when clicked over it only shows 10.5 volts so definitely not enough I would imagine!

Hi. I’ve been through this a short while ago. Paul, on the phone, did say try the ignition and listen for the solenoid click. Therefore, as you know, dead battery. But it was more than that. A block of four wires separate inside a plastic 4 block connector just under the dashboard near the steering wheel had a dodgy spade clip connection. So had welded and burnt. I put a new spade clip coupling and ‘bam’ it worked. Then I saw my dashboard generator light had started to glow. Upshot was battery loss and poor performance. Ended up getting a new alternator. The windscreen wipers gave me the clue. They took 5 seconds of juddered drag across the windscreen for one cycle. New alternator in place? Bish bosh quick like they should be. I know this is simple stuff. But as a nurse it’s sometimes the simple recognisable symptoms that give me clues to a patient’s problems. Fingers crossed Andy. It’s so near and it’s so exciting. Oh! And it’s sunny here in Wales. Hope it’s the same fir you. All the best.

Aye - I checked the plastic connector yesterday and all looked good (apart from the volts loss).
The plan now is to fully charge the battery (currently on charge now - when I connected the charger it said the battery was at 12.3 volts and 60%)
Once charged then see what happens.
If still nothing then take the starter off and check the solenoid (I am sure I tested it in the past but could be wrong). JK sell the solenoid on its own for £35 so if it is that then I will replace it.
Don't want to replace the whole shebang as cheapest us £125 for whole starter.......

Hope the full charge does the job but not hopeful
(Sunny here too and popping out for breakfast in an hour :))

Yep. Bit by bit. Sounds like a plan. Had symptoms similar to yours Andy. Also, once roadworthy, had cut outs at lower gears and taking foot off the accelerator pedal. So? I did indeed go nuts and buy all the bits that Rob and Dave’s Aircooled site advised may be wrong. Kept all that was replaced in case it was still ok. Ended up not really knowing which was the culprit. So. Got a box of maybe’s and a bus that now runs beautifully. On a nurse’s wages......buying all and sundry was nuts. But quality of life is paramount. And when you sit behind that bus wheel trundling down to the long and winding road.....wasn’t too worried. If it’s old and original (I was never sure) or a cheap replacement? How efficient are they still? You’ve got the technical experience to check and analyse. Me? I sit at the end of a few Jack Daniels, hit the internet selling sites and think ‘Sod it/Get it’. 😉

graysummers said:
Yep. Bit by bit. Sounds like a plan. Had symptoms similar to yours Andy. Also, once roadworthy, had cut outs at lower gears and taking foot off the accelerator pedal. So? I did indeed go nuts and buy all the bits that Rob and Dave’s Aircooled site advised may be wrong. Kept all that was replaced in case it was still ok. Ended up not really knowing which was the culprit. So. Got a box of maybe’s and a bus that now runs beautifully. On a nurse’s wages......buying all and sundry was nuts. But quality of life is paramount. And when you sit behind that bus wheel trundling down to the long and winding road.....wasn’t too worried. If it’s old and original (I was never sure) or a cheap replacement? How efficient are they still? You’ve got the technical experience to check and analyse. Me? I sit at the end of a few Jack Daniels, hit the internet selling sites and think ‘Sod it/Get it’. 😉

Made me laugh :lol:

Left the battery charging overnight and this morning got this:

Turned the key and still nothing.
Disconnected the battery and connected the started cable coming from the ignition switch straight to the fuse box. Checked at the starter end and had 12.xx volts so looks good.

Put the starter cable back into the solenoid and nothing. Must be the solenoid then.
Took the starter out and in the garage connected it to a spare battery I have in the garage (far to big for the van as from my old Audi A8) and nothing, even the starter is doing nothing
Took the solenoid out of the starter and connected the battery - nothing.
Connected the battery to the starter - nothing.
Everything is dead.

Looks I will need to order a new starter from JK or some such unless someone has one that is working but no longer required??

Just found one on evilbay - a refurbished Bosh unit for £55 with 24 months warranty so pressed buy....

It’s arrived :)

Weather not looking good this evening so will tackle the install in the next few days.

Walking past a car renovation place near where I work I saw this in the carpark:

Looks like a rear fire!

graysummers said:
Looks grand. And with a decent warranty too. Not a bad price. Weather’s back up to speed from tomorrow it says. Fingers crossed.
Cheers - looks like it should do the job (I hope) :D

Thanks for words of encouragement, waiting in suspense for yours to get there,
which I am sure is not far off now. Have at it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

gas1man said:
Thanks for words of encouragement, waiting in suspense for yours to get there,
which I am sure is not far off now. Have at it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D
Can but only dream :mrgreen:

It turns over :)
Starter motor in all electrics connected up

Got my daughter to turn the ignition on and the engine turns over - didn’t hear anything that I shouldn’t have so a happy bunny.

Need to get some petrol now and see if I can get it to run. Will try at the weekend if the weather holds out.

Brilliant [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322][emoji322]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts