Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Having been told that it would be better to change the push rod tunes the other way around as it will help to reduce the chance of oil leaks, this is what I did:

Before:
20171104_141851_zpsc7gupnkv.jpg

After:
20171104_145103_zpsxkcmayyf.jpg

Trial fitted some of the tinware:
20171104_151826_zpshzb4tirx.jpg

20171104_151840_zpslh06fzpe.jpg

20171104_151956_zpsxk5fdktm.jpg

Not happy with the red so going to change it black to match the rest of the tin ware - worth a try!!

Then spent some time working on the pedal tray that I have - may try and finish it tomorrow.

Cheers

Busy month with work and family stuff so van work dried up :(

Last week I painted a few bits, the pedal pan and also the tinware from under the pulley which I had painted in red but decided I didn't like it so painted it black.
A few photo's

20171119_205702_zpsfilbbnkf.jpg

20171119_205707_zpsel5jtacp.jpg

20171119_205725_zpsovxtahpv.jpg

Today I replaced one of the gaiters off of one of the steering arms as it was past its sell-by date.
Used the part bought from VWH and seems to be good quality.
Having stripped off the the original one as seen below, I cleaned out some of the old grease:

20171126_114427_zps28rmxyua.jpg

Having repacked with fresh grease, the new boot and retaining clips were added and all good:

20171126_122324_zps0lypkjp0.jpg

Also, sometime ago was given a metal holder for the thermostat so added some paint - the one of my van I have painted red but decided I didn't like it so this will be used instead:

20171126_122843_zpsc0lh1s74.jpg

Here is the tinware in place - looks better already :)

20171126_123526_001_zpsutq8z9bp.jpg

That's all for now - oh, just remembered, the rear brake compensator valve thingy that had a stuck bolt. Took my car for it's MOT last week and asked if they would do the honours, which they did so all good :)

Cheers

gninnam said:
Benyon said:
Bit of a shocker on page 39, not what I had hoped to read! Glad to see your still cracking on with the work, I wish I was in a position to buy mine back!
Cheers dude.
Yea, time is ticking so may as well get this thing road worthy, use if for a bit (to iron out any gremlins) then sell on to someone who can use it as intended.
Are you totally van less now?

Hence my scarce visits here :cry:

Had a 68 Beetle for a while but when kids came along 5 years ago we had to get a 'family car'.

Still dreaming...

Great to watch you progress tho, this I one of the few threads I still follow. Be careful not to finish otherwise I may not have a reason to come back! ;)

One day I am sure you will!

With the weather being as it has been and having to work outside nothing has happened over the last few months.
Wanted to start putting the engine back together but needed the tinware screws - I bought some stainless steel ones a good few years ago but couldn't find them................. until today :)

But, it contains nearly everything apart from the engine tinware screws so will need to now buy some and will also need studs so I can mount the exhaust so will be doing this in the next week or so.

Now into the 13th year of the rebuild so can it be ready this year............... who knows :)

graysummers said:
It’ll be ready. 2018 is going to be a positive outcome year. Benyon is right. One of the most interesting threads here. And inspirational too. Thanks.
Thanks for the comment.
Once the weather warms up then I will be back on it (need a few more bits before putting the engine back and trying out...) :)

Well Andy I have finished reading every one of the 869 posts and it's fair to say it's been emotional :D
You've done a cracking job and I'm pleased you are still in possession of the bus if not your sanity. :)

You can't be a million miles away now surely.

Well done sir!

exuptoy said:
Well Andy I have finished reading every one of the 869 posts and it's fair to say it's been emotional :D
You've done a cracking job and I'm pleased you are still in possession of the bus if not your sanity. :)

You can't be a million miles away now surely.

Well done sir!

Thanks for your kind comments :oops:
Next few weeks will start again so long as the weather picks up as need to paint underneath the van and would prefer the temperature to rise some!!

exuptoy said:
Referring to your earlier post, are those bumper irons still available?

I think they are - will see if I can find them (was it the front or rear as can't remember....)

Big fail today - thought I would try and remove the bolt that is stuck in the chassis that holds the rear brake compensator to the chassis.

As it's flush with the chassis I drilled a small hole through the bolt then gradually made it bigger - all good.

Used one of those bits that you set the drill to reverse and it draws itself in and then should remove the bolt - nope

Just pulled itself straight through so now had this bloody thing poking out.....

Might weld a piece of thick metal to it and see if I can use it as a lever to get enough leverage on it to get the bloody bolt out - after trying to get me release agent in.

Oh the joys......

I really want a set of underpans for mine, that pedal pan looks ideal. Placed a wanted ad in the marketplace.

exuptoy said:
Try copious amounts of heat mate, it should go.
Been there - done that.
Even welded nuts to it to no avail......

Will get there though!

exuptoy said:
I really want a set of underpans for mine, that pedal pan looks ideal. Placed a wanted ad in the marketplace.

Personally, I prefer just the pedal pan as the others can/will hide nasties.....

If you want pan protection.....Bolt the full pans on. Then you can remove periodically and check underneath’s qualities as you need. Good luck with that bolt. Sounds like a YouTube advice hunt. People who have worked it out with oddity mish mash Heath Robinson involvement and developed special techniques.