Pembrokeshire v. Cornwall

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow-lane-Matt

Reaction score
For the last few years we've traipsed down to Cornwall, and always loved it.

We're considering Pembrokeshire this year for family holiday.

Has anyone been to both and happy to give a comparison or run down on what Pembrokeshire is like

We like beaches - but also other things to do (when it rains) - both are about the same distance from home

(Are the English welcomed there ?)

Not looking for any nationalistic ranting - just holiday tips....

Really good sandy beaches and swimming- good people lots to see if you like the seaand country

Beauty of cornwall is that there are plenty of towns to visit and all relatively close to one another..
Pembrokeshire is more widely spaced out and so driving miles to visit most places becomes a chore.
But if you're the sort of person looking for walks and biking then i think theyre as good as one another for that.

Just booked to go to Redlands in the Haverfordwest area.
Going for 4 days first week in April. Will let you know if it helps.

J & P
:D :D :D

Fantastic time had.

Up until last year we had done regular trips to St Ives. Last year we stayed just outside of Saundersfoot for a weeks break and did short(ish) drives around surrounding areas where the beaches are A1.

I have heard Tenby be described as the St Ives equivalent and tend to agree.

Pembrokeshire coastline is some of the most stunning I have ever seen and if your prepared to make that extra mile to some of the "hidden" coves is totally worth it.

Saw a few early bays out and about as well. Don't let the hills put you off.

I have been thinking where to go this year and may have just convinced myself a return trip!

totally recommend Pembs - try Dale - Windmill Farm campsite - stunning views across the Haven, really friendly owners, superb coast etc.

Rob

Would also recommend the Gower area - some excellent beaches. Also close to places like Swansea and the Mumbles. That area has a lot to offer and is a lot closer too.

We did Gower/Mumbles a few year back, would recommend it to anyone. Just as nice as cornwall for the views/people etc. But as always a lot of a holiday in the UK is what you make of it yourself.

I may be biased being Welsh but Pembrokeshire has one of the prettiest coastlines in the UK. The beaches are clean, sandy and outstanding for safe bathing. There are rocky coves and flat sandy beaches, the choice is incredible. Beaches to look out for are:

Tenby - South Beach
Tenby - North Beach
Stackpole - Barafundle
Saundersfoot - main
Saundersfoot - Coppit Hall
Angle
Freshwater East
Freshwater West
Manor bier
Swan Lake
St Davids - White Sands
Bosherston - Broad Haven

There are castles like Pembroke, Manorbier and Carew all worth a visit and a visit to St David's (smallest city in Europe) and the cathedral is a must.

We have holidayed all around the south of UK and Cornwall is one of our favourite places, I think because it reminds us of Pembrokeshire. I think you tend to get a little warmer weather in Cornwall, but it's pot luck, we've had some hot summers in Pembrokeshire too.

It is true to say that the towns and shops in pembrokeshire are not as varied as in Cornwall aren't as many, but there are plenty of things to see if you haven't been before.

All in all, well worth a holiday.

Not forgetting Rhossili Bay has been voted best beach in Britain. 3rd best in Europe and 9th in the world. I know it's in Gower and not Pembroke but worth a visit. I also find Wales less commercial than Cornwall. I loves St Ives, even honeymooned there in the 80s, spent some time around Exmoor as well. The only issue with Pembroke? 7 bridge toll :evil:

Latest posts