Mater from San Lorenzo

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CornishSilver

Reaction score
Mater is our 1st Bus and the first words should be thanks to Alistair (aogrady) for selling it to us. Its first Chapter of English life can be found here http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11057" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. A bit of a risk on my part as I had never driven one before but I've had that overwhelming desire to do so for quite a while now so just took the plunge, binned the T5 and was driving this beauty home a couple of days later.

13227619_484044218435763_4722439463525728589_o_zpsdc2wfcaz.jpg

As a 1st time driver I'm guessing you can imagine the smile all the way home getting used to the ABS, 1ft between shifts, and the power steering, its the 1st time I feel like I've actually driven for a long time :) and the purr from the engine........Many heads turned at tesco, lol. I stopped in the middle of 3 roundabouts trying to find second but I'm getting there. So many cars queued behind me and miles of clear open road, something I really enjoyed, I did manage one overtake..........A 50 year old cyclist :)

Mater made the 50 mile trip home effortlessly onto our driveway where he was greeted by half the street and many admirers. We bought this in-between planned trips so it was straight off to the local Garage for a few checks and a towbar. Didn't have time to hang out for an original but this is a stand in that I'm happy with the look of until one comes along.

P6140339_zps7rvjlgqx.jpg

P6140335_zpsgzokp19i.jpg

P6140330_zpsqd3j3fkr.jpg

Had to pack the bar down to clear the exhaust.

P6150347_zps5x1ghbor.jpg

P6150346_zpss757zune.jpg

Time for me to tidy things up a little and replace the upholstery and familiarise myself with things a little.

P6140344_zps8u6ljj7p.jpg

P6140345_zpskmccak7e.jpg

And then to get out and use him on a long weekend surf trip to Polzeath North Cornwall. Looks great with the driveaway Bell tent too, definitely a winning combo for us.

IMG_0683_zpstqfpybov.jpg

IMG_0686_zpsdyktdwmx.jpg

IMG_0692_zpszty18hct.jpg

Next up is a complete reseal of the entire bus and a new canvas. I'm going to treat the engine to the full works on a rolling road and have a full on engine seal and tune up. Mater came with 841 photo's from her 8 years of care from Alistair and its something I intend to keep up on this thread. Thanks for looking :)

monkeyvanwestybike said:
Enjoy it and nice pix ! 8)
I will lookout for you at Polzeath im a regular visitor up there on Southwinds :)
Sure we will cross paths as we go for days out there too when the weathers nice. I know Southwinds but never stayed there, we chose the valley site just for easy beach access with the nipper, 1st time camping there.

Loverly Bus!

Glad your enjoying camper ownership :) I also very much like the bell tent too.

What do you tow with your bus? just curious...

snow_pikey said:
Loverly Bus!

Glad your enjoying camper ownership :) I also very much like the bell tent too.

What do you tow with your bus? just curious...
Thanks Snow, I'm using a Anssems gt750 at the minute. I bought it secondhand at the same time as getting the tow bar fit. It was all a bit of a rush really so didn't have time to be picky. It's a great trailer though but I would prefer a nice restored Westy one.

Heebee_GB said:
Love the bell tent. Was the side awning custom?
No its a package Heebee, comes with a log burner too, just not installed it yet. You can only get them here as its there product that they do not out source
http://www.glawning.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks a good trailer, you could always fit wheel adaptors, use bus rims and screw on beetle rear wings and lights....

A matching westy trailer would be cool though.

A busy week for Mater who's been at Colebrooke transporters having a few bits done. He's had all new seals fitted on both doors and all windows. All the locks are now on one key at much £££'s!!!. Also a new orange roof canvas :) A couple of minor oil leaks and a idling fault put to bed too. Its always good when all the guys who see these buses all the time were all talking amongst themselves and saying how honest, original and solid my bus is and that its a serious good buy :party0009: Will stop blowing smoke up my own arse now lol but being my 1st bus and dropping a fair bit of money on it, it makes me feel good and relaxed about what to be honest was a gamble in the dark that seriously paid off for me, as I new nothing. Still don't tbh. Anyway great to have her back. Off to Rawspeed tuning next week for the rolling road treatment and then that will (fingers crossed) be it for a year. A few random pics of the work

P7060366_zps8cybgqy9.jpg

P7050364_zps3f47yvn9.jpg

P7040361_zpszloowwnl.jpg

P7040360_zpst7my4tth.jpg

P7040362_zpstgiwwh9r.jpg

13615224_507492426108284_2765114571744055302_n_zpsuadigdth.jpg

A worthwhile trip to Rawspeed tuning, a few problems resolved, a few problems prevented, a few future problems identified that are lurking around the corner, a couple of extra horse's were found and a dreamy sounding engine

https://youtu.be/8JuBpKRxaTs

Just got back from a two week trip starting from Cornwall touring around Snowdonia and Pembrokeshire about 1500 miles covered. The bus didn't miss a beat, done us proud and we were seriously loaded to the hilt with a trailer. It was a very slow journey though but at least there were some spectacular views to take in. Heres a few pics

Bay of the Day

IMG_0876_zps3p2lyeea.jpg

A Castle Shot

IMG_0886_zpsimpw5ouh.jpg

Evening Family Shot

IMG_0942_zpskzu3maee.jpg

Got a few job's in the pipeline for the bus. I'm all booked up for a engine upgrade to a 1776, been promised it will be this side of Christmas, most likely early November. I need some more stopping power too so I'm just waiting for a discount code to try and save a few pennies on a CSP front disc package. Front hubs that are almost new will be for sale around mid September, welcome to pm me should you be interested. Also decided try and get it back to a stock look inside so the headliner that is very tastefully covered in vintage surf memorabilia is going to be for sale too at some point and will be replaced with a clear lacquerd birch ply. Will have run out of money then :(.............So much I want to do, same as everyone else no doubt....

Down to mechanic Mike's for a CSP front disc upgrade today, new speedo cable and a butty bits throttle linkage. Slowly getting there........

IMG_1005_zpsvjafkqgp.jpg

IMG_1004_zpsnteonh5m.jpg

IMG_1003_zpsjtwilxs4.jpg

Have you noticed much difference in stopping power with the CSP disc conversion, I've heard mixed reviews?

Its still in the Garage at the moment so not driven it yet. I would expect the stopping power to be increased and brake fade to be reduced, especially considering the cost of the upgrade. The real bonus is not needing to adjust them once fit. I will come back and reply again once I've got it back and had a drive :)

Latest posts