Mater from San Lorenzo

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers mate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So I ordered an oil filler neck removal tool so I could easily replace my leaky one with a Csp breather tower..........2hrs later

fullsizeoutput_44f_zpsa1csdw7h.jpeg

Not done the plumbing yet, blanked off the two rocker vents and left the other two to atmosphere until I get around to it. Anyway pretty happy with it for now.

fullsizeoutput_452_zpsxjifndfk.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_454_zpsxxkffnkh.jpeg

Next job, will be to fit the BST serpentine kit I have and replace the R/H Silver air duct that I managed to puncture during the filler removal

Slowly getting there. Still undecided on the plumbing so a quick progress pic while I'm deciding.

fullsizeoutput_458_zpskel492oa.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_45c_zpspyb6vwn8.jpeg

Almost forgot, I have the new heat exchangers on now. Its quite a novelty having full control of the temperature rather than a cable tie keeping the heating on constant.

fullsizeoutput_4ac_zpslqyzszse.jpeg

I had the heating permanent for 8 years! Only as i couldn't find decent OG bus exchangers for sensible money, as the repro ones don't kick out nearly as much heat. Gave up looking, just enjoyed the OG bug ones and wound the windows down. The cable ties did annoy me everytime i was underneath though....

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

aogrady said:
I had the heating permanent for 8 years! Only as i couldn't find decent OG bus exchangers for sensible money, as the repro ones don't kick out nearly as much heat. Gave up looking, just enjoyed the OG bug ones and wound the windows down. The cable ties did annoy me everytime i was underneath though....

I lost 3lb in sweat on my drive home from getting the bus, think it was my 1st question......How to turn it down :lol: The US plate that I have in the front window was getting so hot it was causing a burning rubber smell from the window seal's!! Your right what you say though the new ones I have do not kick out as much heat, but certainly enough for me, a good spend :D

So its been a productive Saturday, got one job finished and another half done. The finished one was one I hoped not to have to do, but after several failed attempts coming in at £25 lost I have bit the bullet and upgraded to an electric washer bottle. One saving grace was this thread that I came across http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=18970&start=0&hilit=convert+to+electric+washer so at least I have managed to keep my OG switch :) , Thanks Dorris!! Anyone else looking at doing it, this is a spot on write up and works to the word and take 10 mins tops.

Tools req

fullsizeoutput_616_zpsxakbmxfy.jpeg

Before

fullsizeoutput_617_zps2jndbjae.jpeg

After

fullsizeoutput_618_zpsigbdbnpt.jpeg

I have finally decided on the plumbing for the oil tower now and have gone for the keep it even approach and vent to both carbs rather than just the one. Down to a supplier cock up I could only Get the R/H side done for now.

fullsizeoutput_619_zpsehzxljxy.jpeg

Spaghetti Junction, sure theres a lot out there looking just like this but don't think I can live with it, so for ease of working on things and reliability I'm putting a re wire on the list. I have heard good things about Iain at AAE and have been following his work on Facebook so will use him when the penny's are there.

IMG_0628_zpsvkhcpfd7.jpg

OH, and I have a leak from the bungs I think on the rear roof section, just waiting for some rain to see if thats been sorted!! Always something to do......Aerial next :lol:

looking good mate. Ive just brought some new bungs off eBay ready to fit in case are you end up needing some new ones. They were £!5.

Out with the old

fullsizeoutput_64a_zpsecmt7kob.jpeg

And in with the new

2lmowhh.jpg

2v86c84.jpg

14udhr6.jpg

I had gotten quite accustomed to the audible buzzer instead of the tell tale indicator lights and a dash mounted toggle for the main beam (All very necessary for historical MOTs). Its like a different bus again now and its quite a novelty having absolutely every light and instrument (stalk) working as stock, something to get used to again :)

Iain from Aircooled auto elec is not only a very nice guy to deal with, he loves and knows his work inside out. If your trying to find someone to do yours or part of it, I couldn't recommend him enough. A truly mobile service too, I'm in East Cornwall and he's from Wigan!!
http://www.aircooledautoelec.com

ust been on our 1st trip of the year, to Dorset. Think its my favourite county, so many fairytale villages and stunning views. The Bus ran well, 350 miles covered with no hiccups. It did run a little hotter on the motorway than I expected but it does need a service and we don't travel light, all in all I'm happy :) Oh and no clouds at all :p

A few "Bay of the day" pic's

2vcz0jc.jpg

4qfrlk.jpg

A couple of random snaps

vxysna.jpg

20f6ah2.jpg

4slmvr.jpg

And our leaving the campsite shot

IMG_0768_zpseenxninl.jpg

Back to work tomorrow, gutted!!!

Lovely!! [emoji106] wiring looks neat, probably a wise choice, it did have its quirks, all of which by the previous owner in Cali. That indicator relay was a pain in the arse.... I'm guilty for the indicator buzz, needed it for the mot as the tell tale lights never worked.
On the plus side, you never left the indicator on....

Alistair

Spooky, I've juts come back from a week in a swan age and as my van is a spitting image of yours people round there must of thought they were two a penny. I stayed at ulwell campsite, which one did you stay at. We were lucky with the weather.
Ian at aircooled auto wired me in an mains hook up, stereo and a general tidy up. Was very impressed and Ina few years I quite fancy the piece of mind of a new loom. I noticed some in the engine bay were very brittle. Good call.

Glad you are enjoying the van

aogrady said:
Lovely!! [emoji106] wiring looks neat, probably a wise choice, it did have its quirks, all of which by the previous owner in Cali. That indicator relay was a pain in the arse.... I'm guilty for the indicator buzz, needed it for the mot as the tell tale lights never worked.
On the plus side, you never left the indicator on....

Alistair

Roger that, forgot the indicators quite a few times!! I don't know if you ever experienced the fault but one of the spades on the fuse module was naff and cause a loss of ignition now and then. Easy fix, just a wiggle and you look like a pro when it fires up, lol. Hopefully the wiggling days are over for 20 years now. Hope your enjoying the new van, cheers

Robcod said:
Spooky, I've juts come back from a week in a swan age and as my van is a spitting image of yours people round there must of thought they were two a penny. I stayed at ulwell campsite, which one did you stay at. We were lucky with the weather.
Ian at aircooled auto wired me in an mains hook up, stereo and a general tidy up. Was very impressed and Ina few years I quite fancy the piece of mind of a new loom. I noticed some in the engine bay were very brittle. Good call.

Glad you are enjoying the van
Small world!! I saw a pearl westy in Wareham on Friday and exchanged waves,was that you? We stayed at East Creech farm Rob, about 15 mins from Swanage. Perfect timing for us with the weather, we should apply for jobs at the met office and do there guessing for them. Hope you had a nice trip!!

No I wasn't in wareham on the Friday, blimey that means there must of been 3 of us! I didnt realise they were so popular/common! Yes to a new job at the met office!

Was the camp site nice?

Robcod said:
Was the camp site nice?

Yes it was quite nice, very picturesque entrance and animals to see and feed. Pitches were grass and generous in size and if we were that way again id happily go back. We went for Durdle door and Corfe castle so on that front its perfectly positioned.

Couple of update's. The Bus passed its MOT last week with a couple of minor advisories so that was some good news, tbh I was expecting it to anyhow but its a big event getting that bit of paper :D

Had its final run in service today, a 123 dizzy, new coil and a rolling road tune and we are getting 96.5bhp if my din calculation is correct. Everything that came off was good so they are in the reliable spares box, seriously hope none of them are needed for 50k with the amount spent. Only gained 1-2 hp but 2nd is notably more rapid than before, so nice to feel a little Difference. Heres a pic of my print out, the bottom one (Blue) is my old 1600 with twin ict's and obviously the top the new 1776. Graham reckons he could squeeze another 5hp with some fine tuning once everything is fully bedded, next service maybe.

Latest posts