Ozziedog Goes Topless

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats some scary stuff, glad you made it off the bridge the right way! if my dormobile roof went I'd be in god damn orbit o_O

Sent from my C2105 using Tapatalk

I think in the back of mind, I secretly wanted to say to everyone, just check what is holding yours down and is it strong enough. If you use cable ties, there are some re usable ones available now days for the tighter ones amongst us that will go again about twenty times. But remember, the further apart the two fixing points, the less effective it will be, and the closer point to point the better. I have just been out fixing four straight ally straps down to the roof crossmembers and a straight bend around them and fix them underneath so as the screws are not in sheer. That`s just a temporary thing so as to be able to use the bus for now, the roof frames are toast, the upper is fine but the lower is broken front and rear and both sides are bent, the canvas is slashed so I`m on the lookout for a 76 to 78 Devon pop top complete if possible. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,, Get em down and keep em down. :lol: :p :lol:

Ozzie ,out of curiosity, did you have the four twisting catches fitted to the roof struts and the metal keeps that they click into in the locked down position that fit to the roof bows?
Only asking as mine has the twisty catches but no keeps fitted to the roof bows, so they just kinda hover there under the bows which has always bothered me tbh :|
On the look out for four of them little keeps now :msn4:
Dave

squirt72 said:
Ozzie ,out of curiosity, did you have the four twisting catches fitted to the roof struts and the metal keeps that they click into in the locked down position that fit to the roof bows?
Only asking as mine has the twisty catches but no keeps fitted to the roof bows, so they just kinda hover there under the bows which has always bothered me tbh :|
On the look out for four of them little keeps now :msn4:
Dave

YES mate I did, and all four of them were quite tight to do up but they were all spring loaded and that wind only had to put a bit too much pressure on the roof and it must have moved forward or backward just a gnats whisker enough to let the catch slip, as there is nothing other than the spring tension to stop it moving / flexing too and fro from front to rear, or the wind got under the middle and slightly bowed the roof enough to loose a catch. Mine is an Early Bay but a late bay Devon top from a 76 to 78 so no fibreglass or ally shroud, and a much more slimline roof. The 74 Devon just behind me lost his roof as well but the family were sat in the back and dragged it down instantly and that had an Early Devon roof. The metal keeps you are referring too on mine are like four half circles that are chromed and must be roughly one and a half inches wide at the wide point with two self tappers holding them in. If I can source another roof complete, let me know if these are the same as your ones. The problem with mine was the roof worked so well, you had to just loosen the catches and give it a bit of a nudge and it just flew up on those springs and it went down easy as well. Is yours an early Devon roof or a later one??Either way get it secured down for the winter with something extra.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Acheing like buggery :roll: ;) :mrgreen:

This thread is a good reminder for all to check the condition of the bits that hold their pop top shut. The wind or air pressures on a pop top can be quite considerable simply because its a large surface area.

Reminds me of something that happened to me a few years back.

Dormobile roofs had a strap at each end that located on turn buckles inside the roof aperture. In addition they also sold rubber toggles for the outside of the roof as additional security.

I had got lazy and was using only the rubber outside toggles and not bothering with the interior straps anymore. Touring in Spain that summer in the seventies we were on a typical not very wide two lane main road, doing about 55. The weather was warm and the windows were open. When a really big truck came the other way, doing about 65, the sudden whoosh of wind pressure tore the toggles and the roof opened. I was lucky. Other than the toggles there was no other damage.

Man, that sounds well scary and a cautionary tale for us with pop tops, glad you're ok.

However, I'm surpised no one has asked yet.........

Pics? :roll: :roll:

andywedge said:
I'm surpised no one has asked yet.........Pics?

I reckon that for once we accept that this did happen, pics or no pics. :D

Sounds freaking scary Oz, glad you are OK.

Yes mate i have same roof as you, same one i had on my 77 devon.Been added by a P.o I guess, I remember the little chrome keeps that im missing on this bus. So now my twisty catches just hit the roof bows and aint tightened down to anything, so definately not driving it in strong winds!
might get some of them rubber toggle things trikky mentioned screwed to the struts inside now too.
By the way JK sell the two mushroom vents if you do get it fixed and need those.Least of your problems I know!

If i see a roof or parts for sale il let you know. .

Glad you and the bus are ok Ozzie but I have to admit laughing to myself as I read through your post, I know it's not funny just the picture it painted of you in your van on a windy bridge frantically trying to hold the roof down, whilst trying to having a fag, changing gear and driving your bus with one hand, it's like a frank spencer comedy sketch all rolled into one.

Hope you don't take this wrongly and glad you are both ok

Graham L said:
Glad you and the bus are ok Ozzie but I have to admit laughing to myself as I read through your post, I know it's not funny just the picture it painted of you in your van on a windy bridge frantically trying to hold the roof down, whilst trying to having a fag, changing gear and driving your bus with one hand, it's like a frank spencer comedy sketch all rolled into one.

Hope you don't take this wrongly and glad you are both ok

Oh G, How long have you sort of known me :mrgreen: If it was at all earthly possible, I would have rolled a fag if I could have got a hand or two free for more than a fraction of a second, as a matter of fact, if that traffic officer wanted to be of any use at all, he might have rolled one for me :p

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, Fat chance of keeping baccy in paper though as it were a bit draughty :mrgreen:

Thinking about it, how could you do anything else other than laugh, I wasn`t laughing at the time but I did have a bit of a chuckle about it once we were safely on terra firma with some of the guys and gals. Again my bus was severely photographed but for the wrongest of reasons :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Spose I`m not that photogenic :mrgreen:

Evening.
Glad to see you managed to get across the bridge without tipping over. Frightning stuff.

Rich-I-Am,,,,,,, glad ive got a tintop :msn4: :D :) :( :eek: :? 8) :x :p :oops: :cry: :evil: :roll: ;) :!: :?: :idea: :| :mrgreen:

RICH-I-AM said:
Evening.
Glad to see you managed to get across the bridge without tipping over. Frightning stuff.

Rich-I-Am,,,,,,, glad ive got a tintop :msn4: :D :) :( :eek: :? 8) :x :p :oops: :cry: :evil: :roll: ;) :!: :?: :idea: :| :mrgreen:

Love it!!

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, I can take a hint

ozziedog said:
RICH-I-AM said:
Evening.

Love it!!

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, I can take a hint
More smilies :mrgreen:

Hope you've recovered from the wrestling match on the bridge!

One question i have,can you tell me how much it is to get into Wales over the 7 bridge in an Early and from memory there is n't any booths for lefties is there???

Regards.

Sharky.

:sick0019:

Latest posts