Opening front 1/4 windows

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gman86

Reaction score
Can someone point me in the direction of a how to? My front quarter light locks are shot to bits and I have ordered some new locks and rivets to refit them. I am at a loss as to how to remove the old ones, how do I remove the glass from its frame?

If someone could explain or point me to a link on a how to that would be great thanks

Hi
Just been putting new seals in mine not sure about the lock as mine are ok, as for removing the glass if you look at the top hinge it is riveted, you need to remove the rivet i used a junior hacksaw between the two hinge parts then punched the rivets out, next there is a 10mm bolt at the bottom of the window remove this and the small retaining plate will come off revealing a small shaft that is attached to the glass frame then just pull the window out, you can get new rivets from VW Heritage don't think they show them on the website but they are in the catalogue give em a call, take plenty of photos then you know how to put it back together

Hope this helps
Vinvan

I recently changed the locks on mine and was a lot easier than I thought, got the rivets from a local hardware place. Once the glass is out you can do it with the window frame still in place, just open it, drill out the old rivets if there is any and line up the new lock then rivet that in. Hope that makes sense. The trickiest bit, well, not really that tricky but you have to be careful, is putting the glass back in afterwards.

Thanks for the help vinvan, I got no problems with stripping out the window it's getting the glass out of its little frame to do the lock I am worried about, I'm terrified I will break the glass.

Thanks Admwllms I hope it is that easy, is it just a case of pulling on the glass until it pops out??

Yeah I sprayed a bit of lube on it too but that was it, just nice and easy steady pressure. Gotta be careful lining it up to go back in, but wasn't too difficult.

I have always inserted a screwdriver between the glass and the frame- they separate surprisingly easily. bit of contact adhesive when you put them back in.

Ha! You are spot on, small amount of pressure pulling out and the glass slides out... Putting it back though :? Now that's the hard bit.
Thanks for the help guys :D

Latest posts