Fitting 3/4 side windows

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giraffeinbath

Reaction score
We came to fit some mid rear 3/4 windows yesterday and came unstuck on getting the opening quarter window in pleace.

We just couldn't get ity to sit right, it's a repro from VW Heritage with new rubber to seal so I was expecting it to be a tight fit but we ran into problems with the metal tabs that are on the frame. What is the purpose of these, should there be a corrosponding slot in the body window aperture or are they simply to locate the seal or position the frame against the body? They appeared to just stop the window from locating all the way home judging by the ghost line of the standard one peice window seal.

Could somebody offer any advice, we were beaten by time in the end so it would be good to enter round two of man v window a little more clued up...

Attachments

• IMG_6306.jpeg
    IMG_6306.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6305.jpeg
    IMG_6305.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6300.jpeg
    IMG_6300.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6268.jpeg
    IMG_6268.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6269.jpeg
    IMG_6269.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Those metal tabs locate the frame on the window seam at the front of the window opening, basically to stop the frame being pushed in or out.
They're a bastard to fit. I've still got mine to do.

So just to clarify, those tabs go on the interior side of the window seam?

...and what about the tabs on the square edge, do these go on the interior or exterior face of the window seam?

Attachments

• IMG_6267.jpeg
    IMG_6267.jpeg
    485.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6297.jpeg
    IMG_6297.jpeg
    534.8 KB · Views: 0
Just a thought, were there vent windows previously fitted? There should be two notches in the top and bottom of the window seam that the vent frame fits into and then you force it as far forward as you can before pulling the rubber over the frame.

Just a thought, were there vent windows previously fitted? There should be two notches in the top and bottom of the window seam that the vent frame fits into and then you force it as far forward as you can before pulling the rubber over the frame.
Thanks for the info Sparkywig.

No there wasn't a opening window there before, I was wondering whether the window seam should be notched to allow the tabs to press forwards. I'll see if I can find an image, proportionally how deep would you guess they cut into the seam, 1/3?

You'll need notches in the window seam like these as well. There's a matching one in the lower seam.

Ahhhhh OK...., so does that rear window tab just sit in the position of the notch, or do you can push the tab through and slide the window forward with the tab sliding down the inside of the window seam to lock it in the position?

I don't suppose you have an image of the cutouts on the vertical window seam that the two foldable tabs locate into as well by chance.... ;)

do you push the tab through and slide the window forward with the tab sliding down the inside of the window seam to lock it in the position?
Apparently this is the way to fit them

I don't suppose you have an image of the cutouts on the vertical window seam that the two foldable tabs locate into as well by chance.... ;)
I'll take some pics of the window aperture tomorrow.

Latest posts