Olive & Biddy - | Fantastic CamperJam weekend |

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the well wishes guys. Still trying to get Olive shipped back from Belgium :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear fella, nightmare :shock:

best of luck in getting it sorted

geordie

Marriedblonde said:
r73 said:
Campmobile70 said:
It's scary to think what could have happened if this failed whilst driving, another good reason to stick with original Volkswagen parts, doesn't matter how good the company's are that fabricate these beams are they are never going to be up to the quality of original German Volkswagen parts, I know it's the thing to have slammed buses but this has got to make you think twice.
It's good news no harm was done to the driver/passenger, dread to think how bad things could of turned out if your family ended up in hospital (or worse) just for the sake of being cool.
Definitely sticking with what Volkswagen intended!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more,
I love nothing more than a slammed bus (except for a slammed bug, ghia, etc!)
But I came to the conclusion a while ago that the safest way other than stock, is K&L.

Oh come on guys really? There a 1000's of narrowed beams out there and all of a sudden you are trying to tell us they are all dangerous?

I know the guy that makes the narrowed beams for a lot of other retailers (not the ones mentioned above) and I can assure you the quality of them is a lot better than the mass produced beams that VW supplied. I am pretty sure a lot of other manufacturers are also producing quality kit.

Interesting to see the kind of mileage most narrowed beam show ponies will stand up to.
I'm sorry but there is very few manufacturers of quality after market products and those that know would be the first to admit that. Kid yourselves all you want but VW knew best.

Sorry mate you are talking absolute bollocks. I am not kidding myself at all. Look to the bigger picture and stop reading forums.

Like I said I know someone who makes beams for a lot of the retailers they have been in the scene for a very long time and I promise you they are better than stock.

Happy if you want to stay stock that is your choice but to slate all those lowering or narrowing, all I say is come on. You are talking crap.

Lets all drive standard ride busses. Lowered buses are dangerous. For the last 30-40 years people have died from lowered busses. Complete bollocks. Listen to your selfs.

Marriedblonde said:
Sorry mate you are talking absolute bollocks. I am not kidding myself at all. Look to the bigger picture and stop reading forums.

Like I said I know someone who makes beams for a lot of the retailers they have been in the scene for a very long time and I promise you they are better than stock.

Happy if you want to stay stock that is your choice but to slate all those lowering or narrowing, all I say is come on. You are talking crap.

Lets all drive standard ride busses. Lowered buses are dangerous. For the last 30-40 years people have died from lowered busses. Complete bollocks. Listen to your selfs.

You been smoking?
Not making much sense!
I didn't tell everyone to drive standard buses, I never said your gonna die from driving a lowered bus, and thankfully I don't just read forums I drive cars and have maintained them professionally with qualifications and everythink ;-)
I'd like to know what 'bollocks I'm talking' when I say VW knew best? Not that I'm likely to be convinced by someone like you but go on give it a proper go......

r73 said:
Interesting to see the kind of mileage most narrowed beam show ponies will stand up to.
I'm sorry but there is very few manufacturers of quality after market products and those that know would be the first to admit that. Kid yourselves all you want but VW knew best.

We have had a 4'' narrowed adjustable front end beam installed on our bus since it was "recommissioned" wont say restored due to the OG paint and rusty areas - some 3 years ago.

Since then we have traveled literally thousands of miles through many countries including the following

England
Wales
France
Germany
Belgium
Luxembourg
Spain - via France not the ferry
Italy
Monaco

We believe that as a couple we do put more miles on our bus than many due to the European trips so I can say it has been subjected to some awful road conditions, big pot holes and even high vibration surfaces.

As a time served aircraft engineer I regularly inspect the bus and its running gear and can honestly say I couldn't be happier with my beam - It is in as good condition now as it was 3 years ago and although I haven't subjected it to NDT (non destructive testing) or applied any (ECT) Eddy current for sub surface flaws it is not showing any signs of fatigue/fracture or corrosion.

So in my opinion as long as an aftermarket piece of equipment is made correctly and to the right specification with the correct materials it will be as good if not better than the mass produced equipment made by VW in the 60/70's - they were only using metal and welds back then so nothing different to now! I would even say with modern equipment the new beams could be better made.

I have personally seen Steve's beam - was there in Spa parked 6ft away on the day it failed!
His was a custom made airbag beam that as far as I know was a one off - pretty shocking that the welds have peeled off and nearly separated the beam in two areas but I think his case is pretty unique due its custom nature.

Dont think that all narrowed/adjustable/aftermarket components have the same quality or manufacture - If I felt mine was dangerous/poorly made or was likely to fail it wouldn't be on the bus.

Fingers crossed Steve gets his bus back in short order! I would be going mental after a week of waiting so I could crack on and get it fixed and rolling again.

Chassis notches, tubs and then air again mate? 8) 8)

Well put StuF, I'm glad your bus has been set up well using good manufactured parts.
I'm not saying it can't be done, I just said there's very few!
I'm amazed by the amount of people that want 'the look' but sacrifice the quality/safety.
Luckily you're qualified to ensure your bus is running as it should, sadly there's a lot that have to rely on so called professionals.
All I want is to see people enjoying their vw's safely in what ever form they want, narrowed, slammed, stock, raised, for shows, camping, off roading.....whatever, that's the beauty.

This has highlighted a debate and is ongoing, Lets leave Fozs thread alone now guys and bring it up in General for everyones imput as it is something that should be 'raised'!!!! ;) :lol:

Good luck with the fix Steve, Keep the updates coming.

:)

I have more faith in my Creative beam I have now than the 40+ year old stock Beam I did have after the crunch !
Must of been the weight of all the grease ;)

good idea mvw start a thread :)

Myvanway said:
This has highlighted a debate and is ongoing, Lets leave Fozs thread alone now guys and bring it up in General for everyones imput as it is something that should be 'raised'!!!! ;) :lol:

Good luck with the fix Steve, Keep the updates coming.

:)

I did start to reply to the earlier post but you are right this is not helping Foz in any shape or form. Lets start a separate thread to discuss the pro's and cons of narrowed beams and chassis notching....

Guys - please let's debate the rights and wrongs elsewhere. All further posts on here regarding the subject in general will be removed. Thanks. :D

After a mammoth 37 days getting my bus recovered from Belgium, through the insurance, she finally arrived at "Evil Bens" on Wednesday 9th Sept. Only visible damage is the front number plate has come off and is lying on the cab floor apparently. apart from that all seems pretty much as I left it back at the beginning of August.

Ben has very kindly took my bus in, totally unplanned and at the drop of a hat, to repair my front beam or if needs be replace it with a newer upgraded and tougher version if necessary. The Slamwerks beam I had fitted had design flaws in it which weakened the whole tubular strength and structure of the beam where the slots for the adjustable arms for the airbags are situated. It was just a matter of time before the beam gave way. It took just 12 months of use for this to happen. There is no strengthening of the beam whatsoever around where these slots are cut.

Here is a video of the damage if you haven't seen it already:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTJdTYfBMI0

Hopefully Ben will be able to assess in the next day or so the damage done and the best means to rectify this undesirable situation I now find myself in!
As always I'll keep this thread updated as to any progress.

Meantime I'd genuinely like to thank a couple of people off this forum for their initial help and advice at the time that I was stranded in Belgium.

Firstly Ben Lewis for taking this on without hesitation and his reassurance it will get sorted! From his past work I have no worries on that front!

Also Stu (StuF) Even tho he was half cut at the time of the incident, lol, I think he soon sobered up a little to make a few phone calls on my behalf with some contact numbers he had and get the ball rolling on advice and options available to me. Much appreciated bro!!

Ned faux for his help and advice whilst at the show, I appreciate him having to leave his stall to try speak to some contacts he knew dotted around the show. it all came to nothing, but we'd agreed it was ultimately best to get her repaired in back in good old Blighty.

Graham Lyall - (GrahamL) for also offering his services and a possible place of storage, even tho he was chock a block busy at the time!
Its humbling to know these people are willing to step up to the mark in your desperate hour of need.

I look forward to hopefully posting some better news in the coming days.

Respect to the aircooled peeps who tried to help you out (and one that is)
Hope you get it sorted soon and it doesn't cost the earth.

Glad Olive has arrived back unscathed! 8)
Look forward to hearing about the work Ben gets done!
Will be back before you know it - stronger and lower!

Me, half cut in Belgium - how very dare you! :msn4: :lol: :msn4:

Latest posts