• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

69 Westie Pop Top abandoned project - PHOTOS ADDED

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pad

Reaction score
Hi there,

About 3 1/2 years ago, I imported a 69 Westie pop top from Texas. It was a very solid van to start with but the project has stalled many times due to different circumstances and now I am at a critical point. Unfortunately, I am likely to be getting divorced this year and my ability to apply funds and time to give this the bus the future life it deserves are severely diminuished.

A bit about the bus...

It was imported complete, Westie interior in very good usuable condition. It was a very straight van down the flanks, no evidence of crappy welding done so no warped panels although it did have a few bumps and bruises. The engine supplied is not the original, I have no idea of its condition. Since buying it, it has been completely stripped to the shell, new drivers floorpan welded in, new battery tray and new front lower valance. It has been primed, filled and blocked once. The underneath has been treated with rust convertor (there was just a thin dusting of surface oxidation, presumably from sand in the Texan desert) and has been primed and sprayed body colour (Pearl White). This is as it stands today - all suspension is off, engine out, interior out, doors off etc...

To complete, will need (list is not exhaustive)
Some very minor (less than an inch) holes welding up, under seal lips etc.
Another coat of primer on outside
Top coat in and out
Pop top repainting
All suspention bushes'/shocks replacing, suspension parts repainting
Full set of window/door seals
New pop top canvas
Engine rebuilding
Brakes rebuilding
Interior refit including all new trim panels (furniture is ok)
etc. etc.

Not an insignificant amount of work and I reckon about 4k's worth of bits alone. However, this has the potential to be a very very nice bus - the underneath, sills, arches, gutters etc are absolutely mint and never been welded, it really is a solid one. Also comes with a set of Rocket 5 wheels, I was intending just to lower a couple of inches and leave it at that with original Pearl White paint.

Fundamentally, I would like to get an idea of what people think it's worth... I know what it owes me, but that matters little - market is king! I am sure this would be a 12-15k bus when complete depending on the quality of the work. If the market value is well below what I would like, then I'll just wait it out for another couple of years till I'm in a better place to complete.

Any comments/suggestions/opinions welcome!

Cheers,
Pad

Pictures paint a thousand words Pad, but if it's a complete rust free bus project then I would be asking about 4-5k? Is it painted on top as well as the bottom?

I've sold a couple of cool roadworthy og paint buses for 6k in the last 12-15 months! (gutted both times as I didn't want to sell!)
There's a limit you can ask for an EB project!
At the end of the day it's only worth what someone's willing to pay!

I'm sure someone on here will have a different opinion tho!
Hope this helps a bit!
Cheers,
Chris.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your input. Only the bottom is painted (top coat), the rest is in primer. To give you an idea, I started a resto thread some time ago, if you look at the final pictures and imagine in in largely grey primer, you'll get the idea..

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23812" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can get some more up to date pics if someone is genuinely interested.

Your initial estimate was in the ballpark I was thinking :)

Cheers,
Pad

Hi Pad,
I am genuinely interested and happy to come and view but extra photos first would be great due to the weather at present for driving/towing

Regards Gary Coolcampers

Nice little project for someone

I would have been interested myself but to much work for me and I haven't the time

Could b a nice bus !

Not sure why my reply didn't.appear :/ but.can u send pics please as how it is.now. [email protected]
I just sold my late bay today and already regretting it so need another in my life lol
Regards Rich

Hi all,

I'll get dowm my unit tomorrow and take a bunch of pics. Just to be clear, at this moment I'm trying to get a feel for how much its worth to someone, if I was to go ahead with a sale then I need to agree it with my wife and given our current situation this might be a prickly subject.

Anyways, I appreicate your interest and will get some photos up tomorrow.

Cheers,
Pad

Hi all,

Did get quite a few photos today but doubt I'll get them up tonight, I'll do my best to upload tomorrow..

Thanks all for your interest.

Cheers
Pad

Evenin' all..

As promised, a selection of photos. I wont bore or insult you with any descriptions, you guys know what you are looking at! :)

However, any particular questions and I'll do my best to answer - also, if you want any specific photos then please let me know although it will probably be the weekend before I can do it.

Cheers,
Pad

Hi Pad,
Sent you a Pm today asking for some details.

Cheers

Hi Gary,

I've had the 'difficult' discussion with my wife and we agree that we should sell, provided the money is right.. checking through the interest I've had, you were first to respond so its only right that you get first opportunity to see if it's for you - I'll Pm you (along with the others) to see what we do next.

Cheers,
Pad

All things being well, this will be gone today :( Will update later if so.

Cheers,
Pad

Sold and collected, to Gary at Cool Campers... 1st class service, much appreciated at a difficult time. Cheers mate, and I am looking forward to seeing it on the road again...

Thanks again,
Pad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts