Non earlybay (hilux) help needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigbear

Reaction score
Firstly I'm sorry to anyone who gets offended by posts not about earlybays on an earlybay forum, I know there's some pretty clued up people on here so I'm after a bit of advice please.

My company have just replaced my land rover pick up with a toyota hilux pick up, and it's bloody awful!! The suspension is very soft and it sits too low to the ground, I carry lots of weight in the back and also tow a 2.5t drilling rig. I've looked into lifting the ride height using a suspension lift kit but without stiffening it all up it will just squat back down again, a mate of mine has managed to fit a set of coil springs onto his rear leaf springs but I'm a bit worried this will go against my warranty if I did the same?

Anyone got any suggestions or ideas to look into? Basically I need to lift the whole vehicle and stiffen the rear end.

I miss my land rover!! :|

fist I would check the wieght plate for towing limits cos if your total is over 3.5 tons then you need (depends when you past your test,Iam ok cos of being an old fart)to check your licence as you could be driving some thing that your not entitaled to.coil over air shocks will be your best bet imo ,you can wind the torsion bars up at the front .

May I suggest http://www.hpoc.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)

NellyM said:
May I suggest http://www.hpoc.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :)
Ha! I can't believe there's an owners club got for these piles of shit!! Il bet they're an interesting bunch!............ I'd better join! :lol:

First I think it's a shame that your company has taken away your Land Rover & replaced it with what sounds like a sub-standard vehicle. Others take note!

Suspension.
We used to have a motor caravan, built on a commercial vehicle chassis, with leaf springs at the rear. It was also down at the rear.
I fitted Air bags which were brilliant. They raised the rear, by varying amounts, but the biggest benefit was the noise reduction as they in effect isolate the rear axle from the chassis & you ride on an air cushion.
Mine were Firestone Air Rite. I think supplied by Air Ride.
The top bolted to the chassis where the upper bump stop was & the bottom clamped to the leaf spring with U bolts & a plate.
They can be removed afterwards & if you regularly paint them with wayoyl they will look like new after cleaning. Ready for resale & leaving the vehicle in original condition.

I would be surprised if there wasn't an off the shelf kit available for your vehicle.

Phil.

sparkywig said:
I'd tell your boss that the new vehicle is shit, and not suitable for the purpose.
It shouldn't be up to you to sort out a company vehicle.
We were supposed to be getting land rover discoverys, then they realised the disco was £36k and the hilux £20k so obviously thought they'd save a few quid. It's not down to me to sort it out but it's in my interest to get it sorted ASAP as I'm paid by performance, (meterage, hourly etc) so being stuck in the mud somewhere would be costing me money.

67panel said:
fist I would check the wieght plate for towing limits cos if your total is over 3.5 tons then you need (depends when you past your test,Iam ok cos of being an old fart)to check your licence as you could be driving some thing that your not entitaled to.coil over air shocks will be your best bet imo ,you can wind the torsion bars up at the front .
We run tachos when towing at all times, and the towing limit had just been lifted from 2.5 to 2.8t for the hilux. Combined limit is 7.5t. I have done the extra trailer license aswell.

67panel said:
We run tachos when towing at all times, and the towing limit had just been lifted from 2.5 to 2.8t for the hilux. Combined limit is 7.5t. I have done the extra trailer license aswell.

RePhil said:
First I think it's a shame that your company has taken away your Land Rover & replaced it with what sounds like a sub-standard vehicle. Others take note!

Suspension.
We used to have a motor caravan, built on a commercial vehicle chassis, with leaf springs at the rear. It was also down at the rear.
I fitted Air bags which were brilliant. They raised the rear, by varying amounts, but the biggest benefit was the noise reduction as they in effect isolate the rear axle from the chassis & you ride on an air cushion.
Mine were Firestone Air Rite. I think supplied by Air Ride.
The top bolted to the chassis where the upper bump stop was & the bottom clamped to the leaf spring with U bolts & a plate.
They can be removed afterwards & if you regularly paint them with wayoyl they will look like new after cleaning. Ready for resale & leaving the vehicle in original condition.

I would be surprised if there wasn't an off the shelf kit available for your vehicle.

Phil.
Exactly!! They've just seen the £ signs and probably get a bonus for saving money!!

Il look into these air bags, I'm pretty sure that anything not approved by toyota would affect the warranty though. Il have a look on the hilux forum and see what's available

Cheers fellas.

I`d ring the dealer that sold them / leased them the vehicles and point out to them that their vehicle ain`t up to it, in a nice polite way of course, possibly mention that the next dozen vehicles you are after buying in a month or two, may not be Hilux if you can`t sort out this saggy ass problem. If your dealer has an option then it shouldn`t shoot your warranty up the ass. ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, No one wants a saggy ass now do they :mrgreen:

Latest posts