New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so much a 'hi' as a 'hi again'! After a few years off I'm back and finally working on my 71 Dormy again. Looking forward to the advice and help on here (already got a post up for help with y brake calipers but also trying to help a member out with a table bracket - it works both ways!).

Current plan is to get get the van to a usable state as a day van / occasional camper for this summer with the top off! I want to refurb the pop top in the garage over the winter so currently working out how to make a temporary fabric sunroof so I can drive around without a massive hole above the main area. Other than that, front brakes need doing (see my post re calipers!) and passenger window needs sorting but once those jobs are done she'll be driveable albeit other bits of work will carry on as she is used of course. Oh and I finally got round (yesterday!) to fitting the Accuspark electronic ignition I purchased about 5 years ago!

Hi LeeME3, welcome back. As another 71 dormy owner I would like to see some pictures. Esp of interior. Ta!

Coda said:
Hi LeeME3, welcome back. As another 71 dormy owner I would like to see some pictures. Esp of interior. Ta!

I've got quite a few I can dig out. Both before the new upholstery was done and after. Any bits in particular you want to see? I've got the under seat gas hob, the coolbox with MASSIVE freezer block and I rebuilt the rear storage area myself to make extra storage and get the bed to the right height - but it still looks stock (ish) from the outside. Pop top is currently off the vehicle but I have some pics from when it was still fitted.

Yeah I'd like to see all of those things :p
Mine is sorta stock, but missing the cooker. The sink was pulled out by PO (though I have it) and a Smev combined sink/burner was put in its place. And the wardrobe was converted to a spares cupboard. I don't know how functional this will be long term (We intend to go camping in it, with the grandkids) so am wondering if I can/should do some interior mods. Wife definitely wants a propex, for example, which will take up some space and need some things cut into.

Coda said:
Mine is sorta stock, but missing the cooker...

I may have a complete under seat cooker unit but need to check mine is all complete and working first - oddly enough I may need one of those small SMEV units for another project (71 Eriba Puck)...there could be a trade to be done! I'll do some pics in a bit for you

Thanks. I'll look forward to seeing the pics.
If I want to put the camper stove back in the passenger seat I will have to find some original seats too. Currently I have 1985 porsche 911 seats fitted.

Hello, just bought our first t2, sold the t3 hightop to get one, interesting drive back from the south coast to nottingham to get home. Hello to the t2 drivers I waved at on the A43 on way home tuesday if you are on here, I was in the red westy going north!

Hi from Austria,

at the moment i am bay-less - but i am very tempted in buying one: a neptune blue 1970 deluxe with sunroof. It is still with the first owner in USA, he even still has the handwritten original sales bill! On the other hand i have also always liked the Westfalia pop top campers-- i might also get weak if a good one shows up.

And generally i am very interested in (the very early) early bays- About a week ago i started my own registry, collecting information about the very first baywindow buses ever made - espcially the ones that were already built during the second half of 1967 (1968 models, though). I might post some interesting stuff about such buses soon, we will see ;)

Cheers, Alex

Hey there Shaznmick, hhhmmm, I wonder how you came up with that user name :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:
Glad to hear it was interesting, most peeps mention how different it is ;) It’s no good hinting that you might have a red Westy , we’d like the proof please :shock: hint hint hint, we do like them photos :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,welcome,, welcome,,, and welcome :mrgreen:

Hey Alex, welcome along. Try to steer your purchasing towards a bit of logic. If you just wanna drive around looking funky and stuff, go to occasional rallies and stay in there once or twice a year then the tin top version sounds perfect, however if you intend on doing any more camping than that, a Westy is probably a much better option. It’s a lot easier to say than it is to do, but try and use logic when buying, not like most peeps who just see them, fall in love, and buy one, then put up with having the wrong vehicle :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,you can even include me in that bunch :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Yeah what ozziedog says. I almost bought a tintop crossover but wife put “poptop” at the top of the wishlist. My heart combined with her logic and we have the vehicle we both wanted.

Hi ozziedo and coda,

no worries - I already have pretty precise ideas about which models i would really like, since i am following the scene for years. :)
May it be sunroof deluxe, westfalia pop top or a doka - they are my favourites. In my case i have no concerns that i one of these models would not be the right one for me. So i do not see a scenario where i would have to let it go again.

That may be much more likely with a panel, a tin top camper, or a small pop top camper - as i don't favor them that much.
Or even worse: a late bay :p

The only realistic scenario that i can imagine, where i would have to sell one of these dream bays of mine again - is when the owner of the barndoor single cab finally calls me to sell me his vehicle :D

cheers, Alex

Hi from France,
I finally took time to register. I'm a VW bus enthusiast since some years now, my wife is a fan too. With my wife we had a late bay for some years but only had problems with it. Now, my wife inherited her grandfather's crossover Westy. The Westy is owned since new in her family, bought by her great grandfather in March 72 (M-plate tells it was manufactured in December 71). It's such a joy to have a full original bay. We take care of the Westy as much as we can, however we're also undertaking some work in our house as we need some room for our second child. I hope to get my son and my girl for a campout before the end of this year. I'm sure my little girl will love this bus as much as her elder brother.

Take care!

Hi Thomas, welcome along. Made me go warm all over after reading that about your Westy. Sounds like this is more like a family friend than just a van. There must be a few more original ones left out there but they are getting harder and harder to find. As hinted at above^^^ we absolutely adore pictures on here and we’d sure like to see some of this particular van, it sounds a peach.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,welcome again :mrgreen:

Hi everyone,

Not strictly new to the Earlybay Forum but have had a few years away from the site since the departure of my 1972 Dormobile. After ownership of a 1972 1300 Beetle and a 1992 T4 ive finally got my hands on another earlybay. Its only taken 11 years!

Its a Feb 1969 Devon (from what I can make of the incomplete interior), that is need of a lot of work.

Once things start progressing i will certainly start a new thread.

Glad to be back.

Cheers

Alex

Welcome back, let’s get this thread started. 69 Devon, is let’s start with that roof? Where you gonna go with that?

Ozziedog,,,,,,, another Devon rescued,,,,,perfect :mrgreen:

Many thanks for adding me
Ive brought my van over to the UK from Oz so shes getting used to the different weather.....

Latest posts