New to EarlyBay ? Say Hi here ...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She was imported from cali 2 years ago and is I'm amazing condition compared to most I've seen. Floor pan and chassis is 100% solid. Had one owner from new in America with loads of history original tax type slips from 68 on. A lad called paul Jefferys name is on all the American history. Has a lot of rare parts (so I've been told). He (gus) miss fires at lower revs and is running very rich, when you drop to idle when hot he cuts out.

My plan was bench seat from the rear in the front with 3 inertia seatbelts and a rock and roll bed in the rear with 2 inertia seatbelts and a center lap belt (a center ceiling mounted inertia would be nice). But we are likingamells the walk though factor so are thinking of leaving 2 singles up front and putting a single rear facing one behind the driver. (We have 4 kids fm so need 6 seats).

Hi all, new guy here!

I'm Stefan from the Netherlands, new to the earlybay forum. We (my wife, son and myself) don't own a bay yet, but are on the hunt for a stock (!) LHD early bay Westy for some happy family camping in the weekends. (So any leads are appreciated...)

We already proudly own a first paint, color coded Beryll Green '62 ragtop beetle, but you know... the VW family blues, need for more space, etc etc. Don't get your hopes up, the beetle stays as daddies pet car ;) . Currently changing him back from a lowered freeway flyer (82hp 1600 + long gearbox = fast and scary, bad for the ears too) to stock height and drive.
81878.jpg

So I know a thing or two about the aircooled VW's, but I'm fairly new to the earlybays. So my apologies in advance for any stupid questions :lol: We did our research though, or at least we think, so the hunt is narrowed to an earlybay Westy, preferably a pre-70 since we like the wide 5 stock wheels.
So, time to lurk on

Cheers from the Netherlands
Stefan and family

Hello. I've got a big project with a 1972 early bay. Looking for recommendations for bodywork restorers around the south Lincs area if anyone can help. I've started it but with new work commitments (and my shyte welding!) I've estimated it'll take me 5 to 6 years before it's anywhere near done!!

New to this site and enjoying reading all the posts. Just bought myself a early bay (73 westy) and plans to keep all original interior and restore back to original colour etc. Get the feeling I am in for long and expensive ride. Interior only missing a cooker of anyone has any ideas of where to find one. Look forward to reading lots of posts and using the experience of people on this site.

Hi Stefan, Hi mwep201081, and Hi Glenny500, looks like we have a little bit of a project, and a lotta project and someone who is after one as close to mint as possible. It always looks like just a bit here and just a bit there but it rarely ever works out that way and maybe that's why the experience goes for as close to mint as possible. I did the same, mine just needed a little bit of gutter fixing :shock: so a year of weekends later with a roof panel from a donor and a total rebuild of the cant rails and genuine windows on one side I had a rolling and on the road project and it's still on going. I would loose interest if it was off the road for years and years and not go anywhere in it. There is an EarlyBay meet up in Banbury quite soon for the model being now fifty years old. Good to look at lots of different bays. There is one unmolested little gem of a Bay in our for sale section, you will not find a more original than this one, I lent the chap a spare wheel because the original still has the original tyre on and has never been fitted and never touched the road.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,l, So big big big welcome to all of you :mrgreen:

Hi, I'm after a bit of the collective wisdom from folks here! Joined about six weeks ago having bought a 69 Bay (still can't upload photos even on photo bucket but that's another story), was wondering how much difference changing pistons and rods would make to my sweet 1600 twin port? I gather it makes it, and I quote 'everyones favourite 1641'. Any advice would be great. Thanks Ian

EarlyBay said:
Say hello here on this thread ...

Hi I'm new to the early bay I have just registered my sept 67 bay in England , was wondering if there is a register of very early bays on here

hayes said:
Hi, I'm after a bit of the collective wisdom from folks here! Joined about six weeks ago having bought a 69 Bay (still can't upload photos even on photo bucket but that's another story), was wondering how much difference changing pistons and rods would make to my sweet 1600 twin port? I gather it makes it, and I quote 'everyones favourite 1641'. Any advice would be great. Thanks Ian

you don't need photobucket you can upload directly to postimage and the image will appear in post please check out http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=11398 for details on how to post images easily

Hi All

New ti the site own a 1968 Earlybay on going project trying to get some history in the old girl will put some photos on soon

Hi I have just joined on here
think I saw some of your vans yesterday at Stanford show

Ashley

Hiya 68 and hiya Smasher, glad you've joined us. Big weekend over at Banbury this weekend as we are trying to get at least fifty Earlies together for the fifty years since the model came out. Welcome and enjoy possibly the friendliest site on the net. Do not be worried about asking questions, someone usually has the answers or where to look, as there is a lot of info stored in here. Get some pictures up when you can because we loves the pics.

Ozziedog ',,,,,,, and welcome again. :mrgreen:

Evening all!
I've had Syd here for the past 5 years. M Plate info tells me he was built August 29th 1967. Brought over and converted in Danbury.
I'm in the process of re-jigging his interior, having got my hands on a 1970 Torvette interior. I'm not going for pure authenticity, but would like to have him looking reasonably close to his original.
Loads of questions to ask. Firstly: what was the original flooring? I was wondering about chequered lino. Secondly, are there any older t2's kicking around?
Cheers.

Hi all, new here. Been hanging around for a week or so viewing forums so thought I'd introduce myself, I'm Doug from way up north in Northumberland.
Just put deposit down last week on my first early bay, a '69 tin top, pictures to follow once I've picked him up on Saturday from Cardiff.
Look forward to drawing much needed advice and info on here.
Cheers Doug.

Old Whippet said:

Evening all!
I've had Syd here for the past 5 years. M Plate info tells me he was built August 29th 1967. Brought over and converted in Danbury.
I'm in the process of re-jigging his interior, having got my hands on a 1970 Torvette interior. I'm not going for pure authenticity, but would like to have him looking reasonably close to his original.
Loads of questions to ask. Firstly: what was the original flooring? I was wondering about chequered lino. Secondly, are there any older t2's kicking around?
Cheers.

My original Devon Moonraker flooring was a slate effect lino in dull red, i dont recall any that had chequered, i think this is modern development AFAIK.

Hmmm. Now you mention it, I wonder if the black and white squares are a latter-day imagining of what the late 60's floors looked like. Like a flash advert. Certainly quite fashionable. I'd prefer something a bit muted, so may follow up on your dull red slate suggestion.
Apparently this van originally came in white with red inner panneling. No plans for a re-spray anytime soon though.

Hi all I have a 72 crossover Danbury called Rosie which I am in the process of restoring ..I have restored a few cars in the past but never worked on an old air cooled VW so it all new to me ..the bus rust wise is not to bad the original owner paid £35 to the supplying dealer to have 3m underseal sprayed underneath when it was new which has done a pretty good job ..most of the rust seems to have come from being stood for 5 years with leaking windscreen and door seals so the cab floor rusted from the inside ..I currently have the front beam out and all stripped down ..we like the lower stance but are unsure which way to go beam adjusters or dropped spindles which is not cheap for a 72 so any advice would be most welcome on this subject.. I will no doubt need more advice in the future as things progress
Mick

:mrgreen: Hiya Rosie 17 and welcome along to this super forum. With lowering, it`s all about how low you want to go and how rubbish you want your ride to be. The lower you go the worse it will be because you have lost your suspension, yes it`ll look as cool as penguins dooh dahs but that`s the price. Have a word with Graham L at Midland Early Bay as he has to be the most expert on the forum on lowering without all the macho baloney. I`ve got Transporter House spindles on mine which is about three or three and a half inches lower, but as you get past two and a half inches you then have to use lower tyres which accelerates the drop but you`ll need smaller tyres for some clearance plus you`ll possibly need to add to your suspension with coil over shocks for a little assistance which firms up your ride (harder) to stop the rubbing, just like I did. It is impossible to reduce your suspension movement and make everything stiffer and still tell people it drives lovely, just like before. So somewhere between stock and ""Laying Frame "" is most peoples idea of perfect, but it is addictive and time consuming and just a little costly but we can put that to one side for now can`t we :mrgreen: There is a large thread on here about `lowering gurus` and that runs page after page of suspension and shock issues and results, well worth a read so you get the gist of how it works. The addicted even raise the engine and box inside the body etc etc etc :roll: So big big welcome and hit us with loads of pics :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,Retain your sanity and leave it stock :shock: :mrgreen: :shock:

Hi ozziedog thanks for the welcome and the advice ..transporterhaus dropped spindles has been at the top of my list for a while ..I must admit the more I read about lowering the more confused I become I came across the red 9 lowering kit today which seems like an easy option but then people start talking about the stress put on the shock mounts so at the moment stock seems like a good idea ..but they do look much better lowered..and my finance controller (wife) likes the lowered look ...

Hi,
I am new here and an alcoholic. Sorry, wrong forum.

I am looking at an early tomorrow and wondered if there are any 'imports' I should be wary of, e.g. Brazillian buses, etc. Not had a Bay for about 20 years, as I moved into Splitties for a while. Looking for my fix of VW's again, but stepping in with a little care.

Any comments would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Trevor

Latest posts