My 71 bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep full-time job here too and no garage to work in mines on the drive, working in between showers :( , just finished today packed up and yes it rained :shock:

Same here, I've got a bit less work to do than you but 4!! kids to keep happy and no garage, well I can use my friends garage but it doesn't fit in :( . PO bodges to contend with too, keeps the resto interesting!!

Garage was converted to a bedroom, even if I wanted to convert it back it wouldn't fit with that sheldon high top roof ( not sure if I want to keep it but plus sides is that you can stand up in the back).

Good work, I wouldn't be to hasty to lose the hightop, I know there like Marmite, but I love them. I would use it before final decision. Keep up the good work

Thanks dubscum not in any hurry to lose the hightop, will definitely use it first (can't wait for that day) thanks for the support :D

No progress this weekend bit crap weather, and mig welder not working (now being looked at) :( , but on the plus side I found this forum on how to make your own repair panels out of sheet metal worth a look if you want to have a go yourself :)

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=usetharch&action=display&thread=70135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've also posted on the technical post aswell hope you enjoy.

Just got my metal to build my metal bender/folder on page 3 on the link below :D

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=usetharch&action=display&thread=70135" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Now just waiting for my mig to be fixed :( then hopefully crack on.

I know this is not an early bay but same techniques apply this man is talented alright, got to take my hat off to both these guys.

http://vwrides.com/viewtopic.php?t=43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mig welders fixed yippie!,
think I'll have go at making my metal bender,
as weather is looking crap for the weekend :( don't look I'll be able to work on bus :( :( :(

Me too discott1974, just building homemade bender will post pic's when paints dry :D

just built my homemade bender, i think it turned out ok, :D

camper038.jpg

slap on some hammerite.

camper040.jpg

now assembled with different attachments.

camper041.jpg

camper042.jpg

camper043.jpg

got plans off this link as posted earlier it's on page 3
http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... read=70135

null_zps491bb5d8.jpg

null_zps6e92528f.jpg

null_zpsf3df4fd2.jpg

It's been a very long while since i worked on the camper :( due to illness followed by an operation, that said all better now and started to do a little bit here and there :) so i have cut some of the rotten bits out and getting ready to weld in some fresh metal at last. The misses seems to think i should sell it and buy one with less work to do on it, ha what does she know (probably more than me i hear you say lol)

Glad to see your back on it and you are better :D
Like the metal bender too 8)

Thanks andy, metal bender not quite up to the job of bending 2-3mm probably better for the thinner stuff.

Thanks lil I like it makes me and passers by smile or laugh there heads off

Glad to see you're back at it & well again.

When I saw the pics at the start of your thread I thought "hell that's a mess". Then I think back & yes it's probably the same as mine was. I'd just forgotten! Each new chapter seems to erase the previous one & increasingly complex tasks/challenges become routine fare.
So keep on keepin on. You'll get there.

Phil.

Cheers phil I have no intension in giving up,just have to remember how it all goes back :lol:

null_zps7ac1c5eb.jpg

i've made a start it's not too pretty forgot how hard is was to weld upside down and vertical :shock:
null_zps99a505c9.jpg

don't look too hard i still got to dress the welds properly
null_zpsc10aad9d.jpg

bit of zinc primer to cover up my embarrassment :oops:
null_zpsb17fd600.jpg

new metal at last, still got to tidy it up before i'm happy with the results, as i said eariler it's a start :)

Latest posts