My 71 Bay resto project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
youngbay said:
thats some nice work kidda, you must have shit loads of patience! by the way are the halfords welders any good?

peace

Thanx :D Yes its a SIP one, I find its great to use. I think it cost about £150. It's probably not the best mig in the world but then again I've never used any other one to compare it to.

Not done too much on the Camper for a while.

Went down with the old Lurgys flu virus recently which wasn't too good.
Just getting over it now apart from the chesty cough which is driving me, and everyone else around me mad. :mad:

Went to Slough swapmeet last month and managed to get a rust free secondhand imported rear tail gate door for £ 25 and an engine valance thingy for the same price. Bargain I thought. :cool:

The tail gate was handpainted with about 15 layers of gloss paint which took forever to strip. :roll: Here is a pick of it stripped and the engine valance thingy in place. :)

rear024.jpg

After a bit of work and primer, starting to look a bit more like a camper again, dont you think? :D

rear028.jpg

Got this engine lid from Paul and Kim at http://www.vanshack.com in Oxford. Apparently these early ones are getting quite rare. This rust free one came al the way from OZ but is still covered in god knows how many layers of gloss paint. Was it a 70's fashion trend to do that ? :shock:

rear030.jpg

Anyway set to work with the paint stripper again today. Will post more pics soon now I'm fighting fit again. :D

rear032.jpg

Paint stripper so much easier than using sand disks don't ya think!
Looking good and keep up the good work! 8)

bit more than a few patches for an mot then!
much respect,Ive done this kinda work before and its full on in a nice workshop, looks like your out in the street and on the drive!
hope your neigbours like you!
looking good tho and when its done your know its as solid as a rock.
mucho respect dude!

keep the pics coming! :wink:

got to take my hat of to ya dude i just got myself a cheap welder and you've made me want to get out there now and tackle them dodgy bits on my van

keep it up looks all good so far 8)

mmmmmm that all looks familiar, just like looking at all the repairs i did on mine all the same spots, you are doing a killer job there mate and your work looks top notch, just hang in there and it will all be worth it in the end!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8)

any idea on color/colors?

Thanks for the words of encoragement guys it's nice when peeps leave positive messages it drives you on. :D

Kelcan I was toying with the idea of the new beetle colour ( Lemon yellow) on the bottom, it's sort of a lime green and diamond white on top, what do you think ?

More progress pics...After stripping the engine lid and welding up the hole in it.......

rear032.jpg

....... Here is the lid finally fitted. I'm getting Excited now :D :roll:

rear2001-1.jpg

Next job to tackle is the rear offside window. It's got a 1/4 window in which has rusted away. I am going to replace it with one whole window instead.

rear2003.jpg

Here is a close up picture, I have taken off the cover plate and you can see where it's rotted away. the support channel below the window is not too good either. :eek:
rear2004.jpg

After taking out the window rubbers the 1/4 frame almost fell apart it was so rotten.
rear2005.jpg

There is also some damage to the bodywork around the window frame where water has got through over the years.

rear2006.jpg

I have started the repairs by cutting off the cover support channel and cleaning up the metalwork.

rear2012.jpg

This has revealed the extent of the rot which thankfully is not as bad as first thought.

rear2011.jpg

It was getting too dark to do anymore this evening. :eek: Will update soon. ;)

great minds think alike, my van was new beetle yellow and i stuck in some white to change it just a little from stock, good idea at the time bad idea for trying to color match later, did always look cool and clean even when dirty!!! 8) these photos were 9 after i did the resto, the color done good!!!
DSCN0932.jpg
[/img]
Picture005.jpg
[/img]

Great work on the resto dude! looking good in that primer you know! 8)

Dread taking my window rubbers out as I know mine will look worse than yours - will leave till next year me thinks (much later in the year :D )

Good work and loving the pics.

Kelcan, loving your bus too - nice colour 8)

the work youve done is great keep posting the work your doing its a great read, also have you alot of experience in metal work? welding cutting and repairs etc??? great work anyway ....this van is gonna be great once finished... :D

Latest posts