Belly Pans - Are They Necessary?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonD

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Dormer
Hi all,

We’ve had our ‘72 crossover for about 9 years, and it’s never had any belly pan sections in all the time we’ve owned it. Not one. To be honest, we bought the camper so bereft of belly pans it’s only recently that I’ve discovered they are a thing!

I had been wondering why VW though it was ok to be able to see the road through the floor when the pedals were depressed…

So, my question is - which belly pans do people have fitted and why? All of them including the chassis? Or just the front ones to protect controls and electrics?

I have enjoyed the easy access to anything under the camper, and usually only run in the dry unless we’re on a longer trip.

Thoughts appreciated!

I think poptop campervans had the long side belly pans fitted because of the hole in the roof. It strengthens the body with them fitted. The smaller front ‘pedal pan’ is important to stop rain water coming in through the pedal holes onto the cab floor. It also protects the greased parts under there from being washed with rain water.

I used rivnuts and button head Allen bolts, M6 size, to fit my pedal pan. It can be removed in about a minute if I need to look in there. Before this I had two or three different bolts and self tapping screws!

Until recently I had the illusion that pedal pans were for posher types of vans and campers but someone has told me that all vans had pedal pans at one time and it’s just that peeps didn’t put them back on. I found a pedal pan on a 72 that I broke and have saved it and painted it. When I was looking under mine which was originally a 1970 panel van, I found traces of sealant around the edges where a pedal pan had been fitted previously, so I’ll re fit this when I eventually get around to reinstating the horn earth and button. Might make it a little less Fred Flintstoney.
The larger section side pans and central pans were indeed fitted to certain conversions in order to strengthen the shell up a bit after getting a hole in the roof for a Poptop or sunroof and do a good deal of strengthening. The other thing they’re great for is protecting the outriggers along the chassis. The one thing that ain’t so good is that they can hide nasty surprises in the rust categories and loads think they’ll protect, which they can to a certain degree but if you can’t get in there to clean em out occasionally they’ll hide no end of rust.
I’ve got the pedal one to go on, I’ve got two side ones fitted and I migh just go for a midd one too,,,,.,,and mud flaps :unsure:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, so have em removable Is the answer. :)

I think poptop campervans had the long side belly pans fitted because of the hole in the roof. It strengthens the body with them fitted. The smaller front ‘pedal pan’ is important to stop rain water coming in through the pedal holes onto the cab floor. It also protects the greased parts under there from being washed with rain water.

I used rivnuts and button head Allen bolts, M6 size, to fit my pedal pan. It can be removed in about a minute if I need to look in there. Before this I had two or three different bolts and self tapping screws!
Thanks for your reply! Great idea to use rivnuts and bolts - sounds like a nice easy fitting solution.

Until recently I had the illusion that pedal pans were for posher types of vans and campers but someone has told me that all vans had pedal pans at one time and it’s just that peeps didn’t put them back on. I found a pedal pan on a 72 that I broke and have saved it and painted it. When I was looking under mine which was originally a 1970 panel van, I found traces of sealant around the edges where a pedal pan had been fitted previously, so I’ll re fit this when I eventually get around to reinstating the horn earth and button. Might make it a little less Fred Flintstoney.
The larger section side pans and central pans were indeed fitted to certain conversions in order to strengthen the shell up a bit after getting a hole in the roof for a Poptop or sunroof and do a good deal of strengthening. The other thing they’re great for is protecting the outriggers along the chassis. The one thing that ain’t so good is that they can hide nasty surprises in the rust categories and loads think they’ll protect, which they can to a certain degree but if you can’t get in there to clean em out occasionally they’ll hide no end of rust.
I’ve got the pedal one to go on, I’ve got two side ones fitted and I migh just go for a midd one too,,,,.,,and mud flaps :unsure:

Thanks for your reply! Yes, it does seem sensible to have the pedal pans fitted, and I'd kinda come to the conclusion I should really acquire a set. Useful to know others have had the same experience!

Our camper is a former Westie which now has a dormer top, so a big long hole cut out in the roof. The stiff side pans might well calm things down in the torsion department - guess a good sealing prior to fitting would help out. I'll keep my eye out for some!

It really does stop the crap building up on those outriggers and obviously the rust that happens the year after. Same with mud flaps too especially those rear corners as they love carrying dried muck about. Make it an annual or bi annual service and clean.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,Something else to do :)

It really does stop the crap building up on those outriggers and obviously the rust that happens the year after. Same with mud flaps too especially those rear corners as they love carrying dried muck about. Make it an annual or bi annual service and clean.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,Something else to do :)
Ah, the lesser regarded mud flap - great suggestion!

Last edited:
but someone has told me that all vans had pedal pans at one time and it’s just that peeps didn’t put them back on.
Not strictly true! Mine has never had belly pans! Only the front pan under the pedals! Oh! just to say that mine is a tin top so maybe that makes a difference!

Not strictly true! Mine has never had belly pans! Only the front pan under the pedals! Oh! just to say that mine is a tin top so maybe that makes a difference!
No, no, no, actually I said that all vans had. ‘ Pedal Pans ‘ originally but I still don’t know if that’s 100% accurate and I said belly pans are a great idea if they are removable. When I refit this pedal pan to the front of mine I’ll butt it up against a nice big bead of sealer but wipe the pan first with oil so it don’t stick, that should sort any rattly issues

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, keep that muck down to a minimum. :)

Sunroof buses and factory approved campers (westfaila) which were built on sunroof shells had belly pans to regain the strength and integrity lost from the hole in the roof. When I restored my bus I carefully removed them, bare metalled the entire under side, rust treated and painted those areas with red oxide before re fitting the pans.

The tide has turned on belly pans. They were a nightmare for old uk buses as they hid horrible rust issues for years and when they were finally removed the vans would be scrap!
For vans with a better history that are rust free then they are good!
Weren’t the central pans just on later bays? Can’t remember for sure.

My 68 deluxe twin slider had belly pans - maybe also as strengthening due to the opening doors in each side?

So may seem silly question but when you refit are you fully welding them back in ??

So may seem silly question but when you refit are you fully welding them back in ??
No, mine are fitted with bolts and riv nuts so I can get them off whenever I want too. The pedal pan has already got nuts fitted to the chassis. Not sure how the central pan will fit but i definitely want it removable when I get around to it. I’m thinking the mud flaps are possibly a tad more important for protection at the rear corners.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, It all helps. :)

No, mine are fitted with bolts and riv nuts so I can get them off whenever I want too. The pedal pan has already got nuts fitted to the chassis. Not sure how the central pan will fit but i definitely want it removable when I get around to it. I’m thinking the mud flaps are possibly a tad more important for protection at the rear corners.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, It all helps. :)
Only the side pans where welded, the central pan was removable for access as the auxiliary heater could be mounted there.

The central belly pans that are available new from JK and Schofield come in two pieces. I welded some box section between the chassis rails with nuts to hold them in place. Could think of another way to secure them. Don't know how they where done originally, as mine didn't have any belly pans even though its a Holdsworth pop top.

I have a ‘72 crossover with belly pans, completely covering the entire underside between the jacking points. It was imported by Devon to Sidmouth, as a tin top presumably, for converting to a moonraker with pop top.

Latest posts