My 71 Bay resto project

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fitting it after repairs :D

doorandwheelarch002.jpg

Next job was welding in the new wheel arch. (still got to put in a new the seat / floor panel)
doorandwheelarch007.jpg

And with a bit of bending here and there fits quite nice around the door.
doorandwheelarch013.jpg

New panels

seatpanel018.jpg

Before I could fit the panels I had to fabricate a copy of the original chassis strengthening thingy as the old bit had rusted away. :eek:

seatpanel019.jpg

So after plug welding it on and grinding it back, heres it fitted with some primer on.

Then set to work trying to fit the seat panel which was a bugger to fit as it seams to be the wrong shape in places. But I managed to play around with it and eventually got it to fit.

seatpanel027.jpg

Also been working on the rear seat panel. Heres what I originally found when I took off the furniture card panel :eek:

Cornwall06040-1.jpg

And after cutting it all out. :D

Cornwall06045.jpg

Heres how it's looking now.... Still got to weld in the seat and floor panel but you get the picture. :D

seatpanel029.jpg

Here's some pics of what it looked like when I attacked the area with the angle grinder :eek:

frontchassis015.jpg

frontchassis017.jpg

And after......:D (Still got to do the other side yet though)

slidingdoor023.jpg

slidingdoor026.jpg

Next job is to try and repair the sliding door. As you can see its rotten around the bottom both inside and out.

slidingdoor028.jpg

And someone has packed the inside with filler and silicone :eek:

slidingdoor031.jpg

Here we go again.....out with the cutter :D

slidingdoor036.jpg

slidingdoor037.jpg

After cutting out the rotten area welded in some new steel. This was a bit tricky as I had to form a bend and a lip for the new rubber seal.

slidingdoor045.jpg

And make repairs to the inner panel behind.

slidingdoor044.jpg

started to cut away the lower outer panel before I take the door off

slidingdoor049.jpg

It was getting dark so I sprayed on some primer to protect the window repair, still needs a bit of work but looking better now :)

slidingdoor047.jpg

Will update soon :D

Back to the sliding door.... after cutting off the rotten bottom part of the skin.

repair001.jpg

...Took off the door to repair the inner panel.

repair005.jpg

After repairing it I used Hammerite rust proof spray to protect the the new metal. I then put the door back on to measure and make sure the outer skin went back on the same way.

repair007.jpg

Heres the outer skin welded on ready for finishing. As you can see in this picture the evening nights are getting even darker so had to stop. Time for a beer :D

repair008.jpg

Outside...Before and after repairs

slidingdoor033.jpg

slidingdoor036.jpg

slidingdoor037.jpg

slidingdoor045.jpg

slidingdoorrepair021.jpg

Still needs a bit of prep finishing before paint, but saved me buying a new door :D

Nasty rust go away!!! quality work dude! gonna take some time but look more than worth it so far 8)

Latest posts