my 68 delux

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok small update.

1stly i recieved a new steering box today as mine is nackered so i just need to fit that in (any tips would be real handy ;) )

and i have tryed and tryed and tryed to get the engine running but she aint having it.ive set the carb back to standard n everything.she wont even fire when i pour a little fuel straight in.:(

so to cheer myself up i decided i would take lynn71's advice and run the M-plate to see what comes up.
needless to say im well chuffed and ever so slightly surprised.

it looks like she IS totally og,even down to the interior door cards,engine and even the windows,all matching numbers. :D

and heres the surprising bit,i bought her from san diego,she had previously been in colorado and kansas and i found evidence of her traveling to San Francisco,LA,Washington,Seattle,Chicago,Texas,Florida and Maine..... with me so far??

well it appears as tho her origional destination,on october 17 1967 might i add,was germany. :shock: :D

so that means she is an early og US spec 68 delux that waaaaay back in 1967 timeish was in germany.
so quite how she ended up in the US is a mystery,i googled a little history of germany at that time and 67-68 was the time of the german student moverment and thats it. :lol:
i wish i could find out more

but overall,i am well chuffed with what ive found out.

laters

matt

Barkafer said:
Matt, sounds like you got ignition probs there mate. Either the timing is completely out or you got no spark.
Have you got a timing light or even a wire with a bulb will do the trick to get the timing close.
Nice history. :)
Cheers dude.
I haven't checked the timeing.doh.il have a look at that next.

Thanks man.I think this is the most og and I think the only vw with history I've bought.
Always wanted one with history.:D

Just wanna find out more if I can.

Ok looooooooong overdue update,mainly due to various hospitalisations.:(
Alot has happened since last time.
I've changed my mirrors to some west coast truck mirrors
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh314/mattmaestro88/d9c25c76.jpg[/[img]

All the brakes have been sorted and are now all fully functioning

Other than that I've been battling with her to try and get her running and today I had success
She runs relatively well but still needs tweaking,given her a full service and replaced the fuel pump n bobs your uncle.:)
[img]http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh314/mattmaestro88/c64bb851.jpg

So I've had her out and around the block for a test today.:) great moment.
d785266c.jpg

27ba5e6a.jpg

Oh and I bagged a tailgate badge for £3 at dubfreeze
3fcbe4f7.jpg

All I have left to do is sort the seized wipers
The mot is booked for the 9th of march.:/

Über happy.:)

Laters guys.

Right it's been a very very long time since I updated this thread.

About a year I think,due to health reasons,lack of enthusiasm and funds

Anyway I've been away working in Malta.
I got home last night to find that a very good friend of mine had taken my van,finished her off and mot'd her for me.

To say I'm happy is a massive understatement.
Just need to send off the registration papers and we are rolling.

I will upload pictures of the whole thing (my parents documented everything for me.:) ) when I get them all.:)

Peace out for now.

Whistler said:
That is a VERY good friend! Top bloke! Does he need another? :lol:

Yes he is,i definatly owe him one.:)
He bunged out right now but il ask him for you n see if he'd be up for it.
Pm me what needs doing to yours n il ask him for you if you like?

Finally got sent some pics of what happened when I was away,only a few mind. :roll:
1stly here she is all loaded on my mates truck ready to go to his
SnowboysdoggiesampDorothygoestoMarks192_zps12b66bb6.jpg

And here she is back home with a full ticket,my mate came over and fitted a new fuel tank and lines and gave the engine a full service.:)
spring13051_zpsfa07e792.jpg

spring13019_zps9d9188fd.jpg

spring13018_zps08a132dc.jpg

She runs beautifully.:)

And over the past few days ive busy fitting most of my interior and other little bits
Interior
null_zps990e68e3.jpg

I fitted some different window winders
null_zpse30e6f08.jpg

null_zps47990115.jpg

And I fitted my heater/fresh air levers too,bloody fiddly job that was but all working now
null_zps70ad2de4.jpg

And just for good measure a pic of her as she is now,on my lawn at the family BBQ.lol
null_zps386ea997.jpg

That's all for now folks.:)

Barkafer said:
:bliss: :party0007: :party0006: :rocknroll: 8)

That's great news Matt. Action time!
Absolutely dude.
Just waiting for payday n then I'm sending off the reg papers

Does anyone know how long it takes for the reg papers to come back and also where I can get some black and silver plates made?

dubbedup67 said:
Barkafer said:
:bliss: :party0007: :party0006: :rocknroll: 8)

That's great news Matt. Action time!
Absolutely dude.
Just waiting for payday n then I'm sending off the reg papers

Does anyone know how long it takes for the reg papers to come back and also where I can get some black and silver plates made?

They did it while I waited at Peterborough. Should only take a couple of days, surely?
Search google or fleabay for black plates mate.

Hiya Matt, no need to send them off, we've got a big dvla office in Nottingham, should be able to do it while you wait 8)

And framptons for number plates 8)

http://pl8s.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:

68_early_bay said:
Hiya Matt, no need to send them off, we've got a big dvla office in Nottingham, should be able to do it while you wait 8)

Really I didn't think it could be done that quick.
With it being a us import.:/ cause that's awesome if it can.:)

Ah cheers dude.

dubbedup67 said:
68_early_bay said:

Really I didn't think it could be done that quick.
With it being a us import.:/ cause that's awesome if it can.:)

Ah cheers dude.

Might be worth giving them a ring to make sure but when I've been down there I've seen peeps registering imports, and some had them on trailers in the car park with them lol

Latest posts