My 1969 Devon - the EarlyBay.com inspiration!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started geting the interior in - really want to get to Stanford this year (Stanford was our first trip 2 years ago!) - even if the van isn't finished be nice to get the first weekend ender the belt in the "new" van :)

Flooring2.jpg

Flooring1.jpg

Bed1.jpg

Bed2.jpg

Got the rear bench seat back from the carpenter - pleased with his work

RearSeat1.jpg

Also covered the cargo area in a carpet (proper car one that is rot proof) - think it looks pretty good, not OG I know but the white plastic'y coverering was in a pretty bad way.

CargoBay1.jpg

Loads more planned for the weekend ahead - I really want to get to Stanford Hall :D

Great project, looking nice. Always good to get them back to original colours!

Can you put up a pic of your oil lines on the case please? I'm wondering how you've managed to clear the engine mount bar, as it was impossible on mine!

Rich

Great to see it out and about the other evening Matt 8) . Look forward to seeing it with the interior.

Might even make it to one of those Horsham meets.

Hi Rich, a chunk had to be removed from the support bar, not too much that it would impede it's integrity, and then a series of fittings to get the angles right - I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow for you

Good to chat with you the other night Jeremy - maybe see you in Horsham one Saturday ;-)

Cheers buddy, yeah I had to remove a chunk as well, but did it differently to you.. will look forward to the pics, as I do need to get another engine mount bar at some point (this one had a few repairs)

Hi Rich, tried taking some pictures but nothing really comes out well enough to show it. What bit in particular do you need to see?

Ah that's ok, I don't *need* to see it, was just curious.. its tough once the engine is all installed I know.. I was looking for a pic like mine, you can see how I've done it:
DSC04607s.jpg

Well after a few long days managed to get him together for Stanford Hall....

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1411.jpg

Just the roof and a bit of a slap with the lowering stick required :)

I'm really happy with all the sound-proofing - can hardly hear the engine at 60mph, and can have a conversation with my wife sat in the back - far better results than I was expecting :D

Well the van has been running great, new engine will have its first service this weekend, also treated him to a new exhaust:

VSExhaust1.jpg

VSExhaust2.jpg

Lets hope it runs and sounds as good as it looks :)

Quick oil and filter change today and fitted the new exhaust - looks great, fitted very well, sounds great too - not too loud and seems to run a bit smoother too.

VSExhaust3.jpg

VSExhaust4.jpg

VSExhaust5.jpg

Quick update on the engine, went to see Andy @ Classic and Race today to put the van on the rolling road now it is fully run-in and had a service.

Figures were quite good - 61BHP at the wheels which Andy equates to about 95BHP at the fly wheel, also plenty of torque.

He also said that it was the most he'd seen out of a VW flat 4 on his rolling road :)

The van drove great, plenty of torque which is all I really wanted to haul our camping gear around!!!

Graph below...

RollingRoad.jpg

What a mission getting the TH drop spindles on and wheels rolling :?

The front dropped about 4.5 inches so the 14" wheels and commercial tyres rubbed really badly! Changed to 15" wheels and 175/65 tyres gave another inch of drop - they rubbed badly too! So ordered a pair of coilover shocks to lift the front end up a bit - worked a treat and still looks cool 8)

Just driven the van home for the workshop this morning - feels like I'm driving a boat - it's so wobbly!! Hopefully getting the tracking and camber will sort it out - booked in for next Monday.

The van is sitting really nice - I'll get some pictures up when it stops raining!

Latest posts