Led dash lights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gman86

Reaction score
I am interested in converting my old dash bulbs to led bulbs as I will probably have a few dead bulbs and thought I could replace them all to save hassle of locating duds. So who uses them, are they any good and who did you use is what I would like to know please :D

Bought mine off eBay, something like
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=262314364485&alt=web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Work great, but you can't change the indicator ones or the generator/alternator light.

Sent from my C55 using Tapatalk

I think there is a work around for the generator light, you have to put a resistor in parallel with the bulb if I remember correctly. Its because LEDs are essentially diodes and only allow flow one way, I can't remember if its also required to put a small load on the alternator to excite it (which an LED with low power wont) or if that's just for the generator.

Not aware of any work around for the indicators, although I'm sure someone previously said they had them working fine. So might just be my bus, could be the different wiring for the indicators and hazards on the US buses like mine. I found that they either worked for the indicators but not for the hazard switch etc, they stopped the hazard switch working all together.

Sent from my C55 using Tapatalk

All my dash lights, alternator and indicators included, are LEDs.

None are "ready made bought", I just used standard LED's and appropriate dropper resisters fitted in to the original bulb holders.

DSCF0175_zpsf3b61678.jpg

madman said:
All my dash lights, alternator and indicators included, are LEDs.

None are "ready made bought", I just used standard LED's and appropriate dropper resisters fitted in to the original bulb holders.

DSCF0175_zpsf3b61678.jpg

Eagerly awaiting 'How to...'

Quite simple really, you need appropriate colour LED's such as these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultra-Bri...hash=item27e4f918be:m:mVN2MEIBLKEM3q4yFtKVYBw

Appropriate dropper resistors, such as 560 Ohm 1/4W, soldered on to one leg of each one. The cathode I think.

Using the old lamp holders, pull out the contacts, feed in the LED and use the leg without the resistor to wrap around the mounting lug thing on the lamp base to provide the connection to the back of the binnacle. Bare in mind that LED's are polarity concious, so make sure you work it out the right way round, I can't remember off the top of my head without looking at the circuit diagrams which way the current flows in the lamps, but if I remember correctly the positive feeds the binnacle and the lights are earthed to light them. You'll have to check. I'm sure somebody will confirm/correct this for me.

Thanks peoples, this is the stuff I wanted to know and now I will take this info to an electrician to have it translated :lol: so that I can understand what you are talking about. Thanks

I got some strip LED's from Maplin. put 3 strips in series and stuck them on the sides of the speedo binnacle. Works really well and can see how much fuel I have at night now.

Apologies for the quality of the photo's

Nice!

Exactly what I did with mine, (see above pic) except mine are purple to match the van!

Latest posts