• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted H4 headlights and brighter bulbs for rear lights 1971 DC?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
double cab pick up
Hi, am looking to replace my head lights for some brighter ones.. h4 ones seems the way forward. not looking to pay a fortune.. any ideas where in europe to get them.. for my t2 1971 double cab

also been told the rear lights arent bright enough.. do i just change to a brighter stop bulb and indicator bulb? which ones do you recommend?

as i say am in france so need supplier in europe for these parts.
thanks!!

Attachments

• 20230622_100224.jpg
    20230622_100224.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The cheapest, easiest solution is to only drive during daylight hours.

The second best solution is to change over to H4 halogen bulbs; they are cheap and durable.

For the rear lights, start by cleaning all the connections. A spray can of contact cleaner and the eraser on a normal pencil should be enough.

Replacement halogen headlamp bulbs are effective but only if the reflectors are not tarnished.
Rear lamps, again with the reflectors. Also consider fitting relays at the rear so the voltage drop from the power going all the way from the back to the front and back again.

Replacement halogen headlamp bulbs are effective but only if the reflectors are not tarnished.
Rear lamps, again with the reflectors. Also consider fitting relays at the rear so the voltage drop from the power going all the way from the back to the front and back again.

I changed my family's 1973 VW 1600 Type 2 over to P45t flanged 60/55W H4 bulbs in mid-1976 and was surprised at what a radical improvement this made. I further upgraded to P45t flanged 100/80W H4 bulbs in 1989; upgrading the wiring at the same time. As previously stated, the reflectivity of the reflectors is paramount!

I'd fit led stop tails and indicators, vast improvement and they use less juice and so take the load off your brake pressure switches too. Headlights, again leds are vastly superior imo. To ensure good quality stuff go to Classic Car LED's, very good for advice etc if you need it.

I'd fit led stop tails and indicators, vast improvement and they use less juice and so take the load off your brake pressure switches too. Headlights, again leds are vastly superior imo. To ensure good quality stuff go to Classic Car LED's, very good for advice etc if you need it.
Another on my very long list of ’Tooo Doooo’s‘ is sort them lights out for a bit brighter. I can see fine, but it’s more about others seeing me as peeps are now very used to seeing bright lights and don’t notice my five candlepower yellowish beams of not very brightness :eek:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, nice to be seen :)

If you've got the 3 tab headlight bowls Mk I Golf headlights fit straight in. As for the rears I swapped mine out for some new units and they are so much brighter due to the new reflective surfaces.
@sparkywig … Does this mean that the MK I Golf Headlights can still utilise the old rim adjusters once the MK I bracket has been removed?

Cheers 👍

I take it the redundant adjustment screws in the outer ring get blanked with dummy bolts before going back on once alignment is done.

Just for clarity, Mk I Golf headlights fit 3 tab headlight bowls as fitted to US/Canadian market buses.
Euro buses that use the Hella headlight setup with the 3 screw rims don't have the 3 tabs in the headlight bowls, unless the front panel had been replaced.
Thank you for that, understood what is now required.

JF

Just for clarity, Mk I Golf headlights fit 3 tab headlight bowls as fitted to US/Canadian market buses.
Euro buses that use the Hella headlight setup with the 3 screw rims don't have the 3 tabs in the headlight bowls, unless the front panel had been replaced.

Thanks for the pics and the useful advice 👍

I went to change a sidelight lamp and discovered that the tabs had been bent out of the way, Checked the other side, same. I presume the headlights were built up wrong at the time of the our build.

I’ll whip them out and put them together correctly after our first trip away next week as they’re very decent 3 screw Hella’s

Never had any headlight advisories mind 🤣

Latest posts