Jimmy our 68 westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hadders said:
Nice to meet you on Saturday, thanks for dropping th dash off.

Now I've seen your van in the flesh, I'm undecided as to whether it's an inspiration to get mine done or a reminder of just how much there is to do on it :msn4:

Good to meet you mate. looks like you have a nice bus and if it's any consolation I have serious engine envy :msn4:

squirt72 said:
like your bus, very nice !

Cheers fella :D

Well we have a trip planned this weekend to norfolk to do a bit of fishing on the broads, great weather for it :roll:.

Thought I would adjust the brakes ready last weekend and noticed a wet shoe, not good! So ordered a couple of rear wheel cylinders and new shoes to fit yesterday. Whilst doing that I also sorted out my banging rear suspension:

bRvKM.jpg

ozcNG.jpg

Not good looking at the marks so I wound up the spring plates a bit and now the noise is gone 8) Just wish I tried it 2 years ago when I first planned to :lol:

Also noticed this split CV boot:

qun3t.jpg

Luckily had a spare kicking around so that got changed. Finally I think I found the main cause of my oil haze on the back of the bus:

3ZfoJ.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't have a spare gasket so just reseated it for the time being.

Oh and I think I may have the lowest mileage early bay :D

q5l9r.jpg

Off to norfolk now............................

Been a while since I updated this. Had a couple of eventful trips with a snapped clutch cable in norfolk and a rear wheel blow out on the way back from camper jam!

The van was in for it's MOT this weekend and after the run of unfortunate events I was expecting something to go wrong! Gave it a good going over this week and I'm pleased to say it passed with flying colours :D only 2 advisories which the tester said is just to cover his back in case of an inspection rather than being an issue (slight play in steering box and slight play in rear wheel bearings) so happy days :D

Celeberated by finally getting round to removing the alternator pulley as it had been noisy for a while and I found that it had eaten into the alternator a bit :shock:

kFyxf.jpg

So new pulley, belt and associated bits ordered. Also just ordered a couple of electro dynamic exciters so should have tunes again soon :D

Oh cock :cry:
dczFP.jpg

Misjudged an entrance to a field and hit something hard. Was a lot bigger dip than it first appeared. Scraped the bumper (not visible so not the end of the world) but whacked the lip of the valance and cracked some paint. Think it'll be a trip back to midland paintwerks at some point.....

Theres a lot to be said for stock height!

67westy said:
Oh cock :cry:
IMAG0046_zps3f493126.jpg

Misjudged an entrance to a field and hit something hard. Was a lot bigger dip than it first appeared. Scraped the bumper (not visible so not the end of the world) but whacked the lip of the valance and cracked some paint. Think it'll be a trip back to midland paintwerks at some point.....

Theres a lot to be said for stock height!

Bugger :cry:

LaineyW said:
Stunning westy :)

But ooouuuucccchhhhhh :( I feel your pain!

Thanks Lainey, it was much easier when it was ratty, the odd ding didn't matter too much! Now every stonechip is like a kick in the balls :lol:

It's all fixable though, just feel massively guilty when I do something like that.....

Been a while since I posted an update and not really done a great deal, my time has been taken up by catering! Anyway this arrived today so seemed good to post it:

pNGwO.jpg

txTR8.jpg

A NOS 68 brake fluid bottle :shock: Thanks to Ron @ vw endagered species, didn't think I'd ever find one!

Well it's been a while since I posted on this thread and even longer since the bus was put away for winter so time for a non pictorial. Tomorrow is the end of winter hibernation. It was going to be today but a flat battery ended those plans :lol: so it's on charge ready for an early start tomorrow followed by a clean and general tidy. Here's a list of jobs I want to get done at some point, much of it is the same as I posted at the start of last year :shock: I was massively distracted by a catering puck :msn4:

Code:
Clean and wax
Buy and fit new leisure battery
Replace gear knob
Replace handbrake rubber
Fit GPS tracker
Full engine service
Check and adjust brakes
Engine out to fit new heat exchangers and find a small oil leak (round cooler I think)
Refurb original seats
Look into LED lighting options
Fit pedal pan
Get the sink unit sorted
Fit chrome rear light surrounds
Fit new steering wheel
Fit wiper spindles + NOS 68 wiper arms
Check why the washers only last 10 minutes
Pop top fringe
mozzie nets for windows
Find and fit ignition switch (spring broke)
Fir 150lb springs on coilovers
Fit NOS brake fluid reservoir
Remove stuck bolt in CV joint and refit
Investigate water drip round rear hatch (probably caused by screen cover and torrential rain!)
Check fuel lines
Get front valance damage and bumper sorted by MPW

So nothing particularly major, having a lift just helps me remember. I think engine service, heat exchangers and a few other jobs will be done over easter weekend providing I can get a willing assistant to help me pull the engine.

Will see if I have time for pics tomorrow :)

Well I managed to get the van out at the weekend, gave it a good clean and I think it looked pretty good in the sun:

Chcel.jpg

Nice bus mate, what's you suspension. And tyre set up ?

mike202 said:
looking nice, you've been polishing that bodywork by the looks of it :)

Thanks! Believe it or not it hasn't been polished since it was painted at midland paintwerks over 18 months ago :shock: Regular washes with meguiars and thats it. A polish and wax with collinite is on my to do list, should absolutely gleam after 8)

*Sam* said:
Nice bus mate, what's you suspension. And tyre set up ?

Thanks, front beam has an adjuster along with Transporterhaus dropped spindles and gaz coilovers. Rear is running slamwerks adjustable spring plates and turned 1 spline. Front tyres are 175/65/14 and rears are 205/70/14 I think

Was a nice day monday so I spent an hour replacing the brake fluid reservoir and touched up some paint where the fluid had leaked. Old one was past it's best:

8frus.jpg

Oil change and service done :) Still a fair lost of jobs.....

Code:
Clean and wax
Buy and fit new leisure battery
Replace gear knob
Replace handbrake rubber
Fit GPS tracker
DONE-Full engine service
DONE-Check and adjust brakes
Engine out to fit new heat exchangers and find a small oil leak (round cooler I think)
Refurb original seats
Look into LED lighting options
Fit pedal pan
Get the sink unit sorted
Fit chrome rear light surrounds
Fit new steering wheel
Fit wiper spindles + NOS 68 wiper arms
Check why the washers only last 10 minutes
Pop top fringe
mozzie nets for windows
Find and fit ignition switch (spring broke)
Fir 150lb springs on coilovers
DONE-Fit NOS brake fluid reservoir
Remove stuck bolt in CV joint and refit
Investigate water drip round rear hatch (probably caused by screen cover and torrential rain!)
Check fuel lines
Get front valance damage and bumper sorted by MPW

Latest posts