Jimmy our 68 westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Managed to spend a bit of time on the bus this weekend

First job was to fit a seatbelt for the little one. Got a bracket from over on the late bay to mount it on to the factory points:

jf6xn.jpg

B6Edf.jpg

So this meant we could take Penny out for her first drive in the bus :D Just a short jaunt tot start with to see how she took to it. She started like this:

0C3rw.jpg

and ended like this, so I think it was a succces!:

jUkDf.jpg

So we followed that up with a flying visit to Stanford hall, stopped a couple of hours but left by 10:30. Got a nice new sliding door handle from busok.

Before:

ePUBR.jpg

After:

uZ8nt.jpg

On the trip to Stanford hall there was the occasional strong smell of petrol from the heating so that warranted some investigation on Sunday. Sniffing around the engine bay it appeared to be from the right carb, fuel pipes were dry so I whipped the carb off. It looks like the accelerator pump gasket was crimped when it was installed so each pump squirted a little down the side of the carb :eeK: didn't think to inspect them as they were brand new carbs!

D1KPj.jpg

I straightened it up and made sure the previously creased bit was at the top and that's solved the problem and got rid of the leak.

Decided tp check the jets and everything whilst the carbs were off and there was a bit of water and some crud in the bowl, probably from the oldish petrol due to using LPG previously. Gave them all a good clean:

pMaqO.jpg

Finished the bank holiday by heading out for a picnic :D

XiV9I.jpg

K6ju9.jpg

Just booked in to a rolling road on the 18th so I can get these carbs set up properly, can't wait :D :D

Bus looks fantastic - missed you sunday as Paul and I arrived a little later than planned :oops:
Who are you using for your rolling road setup - might have a go at that too! :D

The bus looks great, i have the same bracket off davidoft on TLB, which belt length did you use on it?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

mike202 said:
Nice pics :)

Glad you got the carb issue sorted, that must have been a bit worrying :shock:

New westy handle looks great.

Cheers Mike, the carb was a little concerning. At first I thought it was my imagination as it was only occasionally as it was when the accelerator was pumped. Glad I found it though!

StuF said:
Bus looks fantastic - missed you sunday as Paul and I arrived a little later than planned :oops:
Who are you using for your rolling road setup - might have a go at that too! :D

I think we left before the majority of the line up arrived :lol: Hannah had double booked herself so it was a quick whizz round and then home. I'm off to Dennis Vessey at Barnetby http://www.vessey-classic-car-services.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; come along if you are at a loose end :) How did your tune up go in lincoln?

lemur said:
Nice attention to detail with your bus! lovely to see, well done sir :D

Liam

Thanks Liam :D

mattyd72 said:
The bus looks great, i have the same bracket off davidoft on TLB, which belt length did you use on it?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I used the securon 500/W which is the adjustable webbing buckle with a 297cm belt. It fits an adult fine but was a little tight around the baby's car seat. I think I'll be buying an extender to make that a little easier. The bracket worked well, I needed to elongate the small bolt hole slightly as it was just out of line but aside from that it was an easy fit.

67westy said:
I think we left before the majority of the line up arrived :lol: Hannah had double booked herself so it was a quick whizz round and then home. I'm off to Dennis Vessey at Barnetby http://www.vessey-classic-car-services.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; come along if you are at a loose end :) How did your tune up go in Lincoln?

Yep I am interested - when you planning on getting it done? We could have a nice little cruise up there! 8)
Tune up in Lincoln left me a little underwhelmed to be honest, the dizzy got fitted and the carb looked at however I am still having issues with it cutting out after a fast run down the motorway and coming to a stop at a roundabout/junction - something that wasn't an issue before.

What's the rough cost for a rolling road setup?

I guess those issues would be easier to sort on a rolling road. Booked in on the 18th at 9am. It should be around 175+vat depending on what needs doing. Cruise would be good :) would be in rush hour though :lol:

67westy said:
I guess those issues would be easier to sort on a rolling road. Booked in on the 18th at 9am. It should be around 175+vat depending on what needs doing. Cruise would be good :) would be in rush hour though :lol:

Checked the leave planner today at work and I cant get it off - let me know how you get on and I will probably head up there if my shiny new timing light doesnt do the trick for a proper tune up!
Take loads of pics of Jimmy on the RR - a video would be cool too! 8) 8)

StuF said:
67westy said:

Checked the leave planner today at work and I cant get it off - let me know how you get on and I will probably head up there if my shiny new timing light doesnt do the trick for a proper tune up!
Take loads of pics of Jimmy on the RR - a video would be cool too! 8) 8)

That's a shame mate, I'll make sure it's well documented :D

That reminds me, better book some leave...................

Well the rolling road on Monday was great success :D I was very impressed with the guys at D Vessey (http://www.vessey-classic-car-services.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) they did a great job and spent a lot of time checking everything over. The first hour or so was spent hooked up to a diagnostics machine and they went through the whole engine setup, pleased to say everything was about spot on here :) Nice to have it confirmed by the professionals though. I did get told off about my exhaust, they weren't impressed with the stock one :lol

After that we had serveral runs on the rollers checking the emissions etc and ended up with the jets being tweaked a little. Last thing they did was a power run for me, they said their rollers are probably on the pessimistic side however it only showed 40BHP which seemed quite low to me, the van drives lovely and there is definitely a lot more power than there used to be so I assume they must be fairly pessimistic! The graph showed the engine tailing off at higher RPM which they said would be due to the exhaust not being up to the job. At least it gives me a bench mark figure to compare to when I change the exhaust in a couple of months.

The drive home was much improved, any low revs stumbling has gone and it just feels smoother and a bit pokier all round. It was 4 hours well spent :D New jetting is:

145 Main (previously 140)
F6 Emulsion
185 Air Correction (previously 165)
57 Idles (previously 55)

On the rollers:
pWs0B.jpg

Hooked up to the magic machine:
ujZ84.jpg

Making some noise:

Awesome work mate - bus sounds great!
Cant believe I missed your update - gonna have to get Murphy up there and get him set up properly!
Vintage Speed exhaust on order yet? :msn4:

Come very close a few times :D won't have a chance to fit it until early July so will order middle of next month. Will sound even better then!

They are good and seem to of done quite a few aircooleds. Would recommend them :)

Had a spare hour today so gave me a chance to do a few small jobs. First up was to change the old handbrake handle and gear knob:

NLYXr.jpg

The new bits just didn't seem as good as the old, knob was much smaller :shock: no jokes please :lol: and the handle wasn't as nice to hold, old one was chunkier. Replaced them anyway as they are the best I had.

Old vs new:

anpst.jpg

qBoIA.jpg

And finally all fitted:

0UcGV.jpg

Also had a chance to fit a blind spot mirror. Was very cheap off amazon so not sure how long it will last but hopefully it will improve motorway driving:

R4r0h.jpg

Weighing up whether to try and fit my 68 wipers and spindles over the next couple of days, was a pain in the arse when I went to later spindles and I need to make sure the bus is ready for a wedding next weekend.........

pkrboo said:
Haven't you put the handbrake handle on the wrong way?
:lol: you might be right! Arse, job for today then is to put it on the right way up :p

I think its because I sat on the passenger seat doing it so tried it with my left hand. Cheers mate :)

Is this better? :p

F68oT.jpg

So I fitted some LED bulbs today after getting a link from mike202, cheers mike! This is the before shot:

XIUaH.jpg

And with both lights switched on the current draw was 3.88 amps. New bulbs:

fI68M.jpg

w4ezX.jpg

zyQdw.jpg

Also fitted the courtesy light with one as well:

qshMb.jpg

Current draw afterwards was 0.55 amps, should eek a few more hours out of the leisure battery :D Just got to see how we get on with them now, Hannah prefers the warmer yellow light from an incandescent bulb so I'll wait and see if she complains........

Better!!

Will vessey be any good for tweaking my type 4 fuel injected engine?

I would think so mate, they were showing me all their old school ECU stuff so I'm sure they'll be able to help. Of far from you either. Had a nice e type in as well so worth going just for a look at that :)

I fitted the LED bulbs in both of my interior lights and I've got to say I think they are to bright at night, they actually hurt your eyes! Think il change them back when I get time.

Latest posts