Interesting indicator problem

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71Westy

Reaction score
So, took bus on a trip today after welding... and an interesting indicator issue emerged. They are perfectly normal until running at high revs (50-55mph) when they click 3 or 4 times then stay on (or off - the dash light is off) for a couple of seconds, then flash for 3, then stop again and so on. Back at 30-40mph all returns to normal....

Hmm. Now I could have disturbed the wiring under the dash. But I'm wondering if the voltage reg isn't working correctly?

Any immediate thoughts before it's out with the multimeter?
Nick

sounds about right ...... try dropping the voltage by putting all the lights on :idea:

Did they defiantly disconnect the battery? Could have had a surge go through the system. I've got a a 1986 BMW 5 series which was welded about 6 years ago and this happened..... Fooked up the Bosch fuel injection and the dash cluster!

Karl

Don't know. But there aren't many electronics to hit.

I'm planning on checking the voltage regulator tonight. But it is electro-mechanical, which tends to be more resilient. And my newly fitted electronic ignition seems ok - the van runs well.

I've text you about collecting that oil cooler, I'll have a look when I come over if you want?

Thanks Karl!

Well I've tested the voltage regulator, both loaded and no load, and it maxes at 14.4v no load (14V loaded) which is pretty good by my reckoning.

So now what on earth can be speed related that would cause the problem at 55 but not at 40?

It really is not logical...

71Westy said:
Thanks Karl!

Well I've tested the voltage regulator, both loaded and no load, and it maxes at 14.4v no load (14V loaded) which is pretty good by my reckoning.

So now what on earth can be speed related that would cause the problem at 55 but not at 40?

It really is not logical...

Hmm, those figures seem fine to me. Is it an alternator or a dynamo?

Standard 30A dynamo, and I agree they look fine.

Next step is to go through the connections for the indicator circuit, but as it's both left and right, I'm now suspecting the indicator flasher relay - there was a lot of welding done around that area.

Latest posts