Gusty Day!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Nick

Reaction score
On the M1 near Leicester this morning at 06:30 this morning off to Ikeas 21% off sale (queues horrendous) not normally out and about at that time on a Sat AM. To say it was a little gusty was an understatement talk about white knuckle ride, she was all over the place, pleased I've no play in my steering... just about got the nip mark out of my seat :shock:

Anyone experienced similar probs this week?

Regards
Nick & Zile

wasnt bad here at all in the emerald isle, sunny and nice up north!

My only advice is.... slam it! 8)

Had the same problems a few weeks ago coming back from the Midland Split Bus Meet in March, was fine on the M5 on the way there but on the way back only managed one junction as Hank was being thrown onto the hard shoulder on a regular basis, ended up coming off the motorway and heading across Birmingham instead.

Not much fun in the wind :mrgreen:

When I went to look at/buy my van back in Jan 1990 it was one of the windiest days - I think even some trains had been cancelled! Drove up from Taunton to Peterborough to view, and the buy my 68 Bay.

Had to drive it all the way back to Somerset - never haven driven a van of any type. Blimey, I wondered what I had done, as I blew across 2 lanes of motorway!! Terrifying!
To cap it all, at one stop, my dad, who was driving behind me in convoy, walked over - I went to put the drivers side window down - BANG - as the glass dropped into the door. Very very cold drive continued, just as the rain came, with me really thinking about if the purchase had been such a good idea! 18 years later, I don't regret a single second....

You soon learn to let the van have its way a little, and the mark of a true van driver is when you pass a coach/big truck on the motorway, and as you aproach the front of that vehicle, you automatically steer left in anticipation of the slipstream that is about to hit you, without a moments thought :lol:

i strugled with the wind on sat at uttoxeter at bustypes thew ind kept blowing the cooker out,re design i think,outside cooker is going out the wind...ow :lol:

I used to have a badly fitted Danbury pop-top on my Devon and when it was really windy it would levitate as I was driving along. It would do this really quietly and come down with a thump when I slowed down. I didn't realise what this mystery thumping was until I was driving over the Severn bridge on a windy day and my daughters started screaming in the back that the roof was coming off. They hung on to it for dear life until we got to the other side. This also explains why motorists would wave to me and point a lot when it was windy.
Glad it's a tin-top now. No more wind related adventures and water down the back of my neck when I brake.

a bay + motorway + lorry + concrete barriers + excess play in steering = scarey :lol:

When we bought the van, we asked what the bungy cords were for, wrapped around the pop-top frames....looks like you needed some aswell BC!

Latest posts