Fuel leak on Solex 34 PDSIT 2

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, first post. Need advice on leak on my carb from beneath the accelerator pump. I removed the carb and the only thing I could figure to do was take off the cover and check the diaphram/plunger etc. No apparent split in the diaphram material so cleaned the surfaces and put it back together. No joy still leaking steady drips of fuel. Any ideas people?

May be worth fitting a rebuild kit, gaskets seals etc etc
Euocarb will stock them
also some instructions of how to fit and re tune
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/solex_34_pdsit_2_3/Solex_34_PDSIT_2_3_Carburetor.pdf
Hope this helps

Check if the cover is not warped. Lay it on a flat surface and look for a gap. If there is one, get a piece of sand paper, lay down on the flat surface (preferably glass or granite) then sand the cover until it's flat. That should solve your problem.
Abel

Thanks guys, I have ordered a rebuild kit arriving tomorrow and an interesting point about the warped cover Abel. Will be on the case this weekend and never mind the good weather and beach! Cheers me hearties! Mal

Ay up again,
Quick update on the dreaded Solex 34!
Received and fitted rebuild kit ok.
Having dismantled the thing, I found that the shaft or rod in the throttle housing (holds that butterfly valve or flap) has no sealing bush and was "a bit loose" in its housing. That was the source of the leak however, in my view not much fuel should be sloshin' about in there. it's possible that the old float valve was defective and too much fuel was whistling around there? I don't know! Anyway, I put a washer on the idle control plate nut and did it up as tight as poss whilst still allowing free movement. Whacked it back on and...............no more leak! (so far!) I guess a way round all the hassle that these carbs can give is to fit the conversion single one that Just Kampers, or maybe others, sell? But for the moment I am satisfied and grateful for the tips from you guys so thanks! Another bonus....................England made the quarter finals! A good day all round!!
Cheers me hearties!
Mal

Latest posts