Engine wont start

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garyt2owner

Reaction score
Hi guys so my van hasn't run in a while the main reason was the ignition switch had melted.
My original switch was metal with only 3 wires but I've replaced it with a new one with 4 wires but it still wont start. I get ignition lights on the dash but when I try to turn it over there's nothing at all happens and thing else I can try I'm hoping it's not the starter motor than for any help people can give me

I’m wondering if it’s the switch that’s melted is the issue, or is there another issue that’s caused the switch to melt. Have you checked all the fuses and has anyone put an extra large fuse in anywhere perhaps indicating a previous issue?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, usually a wiring issue. :mrgreen:

You need to check that the solenoid that fires up the starter is getting power, thick red and black wire. Though its a fair guess its the ignition switch which are pretty crappy. Get someone to turn on the ignition while you crawl underneath and test there is power getting through, also check that your battery is charged fully as it wont fire up if not enough juice.

Finally got round to having a look and I have 12.6 volts to the starter solenoid when the key is turned but not even trying to to turn could it be the starter motor

...have you tried putting bus in gear, ignition OFF, then rocking it backwards and forwards. Sometime starter motors get jammed and this can free them. (also a single sharp tap with a hammer can unjam)

Also - you can short out the 2 solenoid connectors with a screwdriver and the start motor should spin, (probably proving the solenoid is faulty). Find a Youtube videos for details on doing this as it is potentially dangerous as is possible to run yourself over if the bus is in gear !!!

Maybe - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PXBjovZDE

Another update guys after bypassing the starter motor by shorting the terminals I can confirm the starter motor seems to work and now I have got to the point where the engine turns over but very very slowly could it just be an earth issue

[youtube]https://youtu.be/cxDH_dAwhRo[/youtube]
Well she's finally running guys I've tried to show a video but not sure if I've done it right

Latest posts