Crank trigger ignition - info and ramblings!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
any updates Jon? looking to get this started again for me...

so I think I will do megajolt with the obvious edis, and trigger wheel. Just still not sure on MAP or TPS, I think as before MAP is better.

?

Yes, all up and running. Worked fine out the box so to speak. Van pulls really well, tuned the map by ear.

How far along are you mate ? Do you need any advice, help sourcing parts, installing and running? Give me a shout and I'll talk you through it

[youtube]KzwePVZ_QTQ[/youtube]

I have tuned it a bit since this video. Honestly it is so smooth and part throttle response is great, much better than with the dizzy.

Err just starting to work what I need, so I'm at ground zero. Nothing bought yet.

So yes advice please on all aspects, buying, installing. Pm might be easier, and we can put progress on the thread...

Some photos from the scrap book:

yvamesys.jpg

Dizzy blank with cap to bung up the dizzy hole.

jy2ybebe.jpg

All painted

nahavere.jpg

Drilling the vac ports in the manifolds, all 4, then use some barbed fittings. I bought these off eBay for R/C cars.

adegaban.jpg

Tapping the holes

8emuza4e.jpg

Nipple fitted with thread lock, make sure the inside of the manifold is clear of any crud though.

adery5er.jpg

Repeat for all cylinders.

ana7y3yz.jpg

Vac plenum chamber to smooth vac signal. Use silicon hose to connect to the manifold ports. This is 1.25 inch drain pipe with ends. Just drill these and screw in the barbs, make sure they are sealed (use thread lock or epoxy glue once the thread is cut). Then clear out the swarf and glue the end caps on. 4 connections from cylinders, one to the megajolt.

yve3u6eb.jpg

Coil pack from a ford fiesta, this is gen2 so I needed to make up the leads. If you get a mondeo gen1 then you can buy leads easily. Note the firing order is 1432, and as it is wasted spark, 2&4 can be swapped for a neater instal. The standard ford firing order is 1342 I think, so you will need to take care. Just follow my wiring.

nyse5a6a.jpg

Edis module located on the top coil mount and I used a self tapper on the other end.

The wiring is simple but you must connect all earths together at the edis and use quality screened cable for the Sensor connections.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

Awesome Jon, thanks for the pics. Pm an email address as I need to pick your brains ref suppliers of stuff. Trigger wheels might not be cheap but it will work, eBay items can be pot luck.

dull (to some) pics of wiring would be great, or any tips there?

how did you hook up your rev counter?

Wiring it all shrink wrapped and neatly put away in sheathing ))

Rev counter is just the rev output from the MJ that you need to shove up the conduit to the front of the bus. Not done mine yet as I will need to save for a suitable gauge. You can even add a shift light if you feel the need :)

Pm sent.

Slight update here, a little video clip of the config SW interface and also a couple of the MJ placement.

u8u6esy6.jpg

Megajolt controller in the Devon wardrobe

aradabyg.jpg

And the SW running

[youtube]LUQ4h2avm1U[/youtube]

excting times - ebay delivered a v4 megajolt with map sensor, a gen1 coil pack, leads, EDIS4 trigger wheel and loads of wiring.
The MJ also came with a hard rev limiter daughter board - which basically kills the coil power

I want to do a real covert install -super clean- hiding the coil pack, MJ will be in the bus anyway. There'll be no dizzy and the fuel pump is already electric...

The only issue I have is my LC1 and the MJ need a serial connection - so not sure that although I have 2 usb/serial leads if I'll be able to run both programs at same time? alt+tab between them when it comes to tuning....

Second laptop is your best bet :)

Can't wait to see your install when it is done.

I was out in my van today and it is running very sweet, pulls so strong and have my rev limiter set to 5k, so it drops the advance down to 10 BTDC and cuts the power smoothly. The more I drive it the more impressed I am. You will be very happy once you have done the instal :)

Let me know when you want my maps, please let me know your engine spec as well.

after our week long trip in cumbria and the lakes - on the old svda it really has gee'd me to try and get this done sooner rather than later....
wish I had had the time before we went, as although it was pretty good - I just know with mapped ignition it would be so smooth and nice to drive....

The issue I have is what sensor to use- as I have one but really don't want to do my normal which is a bodged but working install, then tidy. Will any CPS work?

It needs to be a VR sensor, not a Hall sensor.
Any decent one will work, provided you get the wiring polarity right. :)

I went the hidden route so used the one from the dubshop in the us. Alternatively you can use a stock ford one from any breakers and it will be fine.

Usually the sensors are pretty robust, so if yours is not working then check the following:
Polarity
Distance to trigger wheel (1or 2 mm ideal)
Noise on the signal wire , use quality shielded cable earthed at both ends.

Pm me and we can chat.

Can't wait to see it working.

jonboylaw said:
Is it alive yet ? I am dying to know.
Mine is running very sweet at the moment.

Er no
Worked away last week, family stuff at the weekend, I'm itching to get this going. I have a day off on Tues, maybe I'll get to adjust the trigger wheel to fit the pulley at least.

Do you have an 'adjusted' map now?

very interesting read guys.

i'm researching similar myself...albeit on my porsche 911 engine. thinking of going the megasquirt route though and hopefully doing away with all of the original fuel injection. Also looking into the possibility of running Fuel rails with Coil-on-plug sparks. this will be a long term build as I collect the parts while living in Aus with the intention of fitting when i return in a couple of years. The main reason why I am doing this as i may be fitted a supercharger... not sure whether this will happen, but super excited just to be researching whats involved :)

Latest posts