Best gear lever

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2009jamesb

Reaction score
I have just bought a '72 Campervan and the gear change is not predictable ie not always easy to find gears, the last van I had was fitted with a Gene Berg locking gear stick which was very good.
What is the best make worth fitting I know the original isn't too bad if all the bushes and linkages have been change but I fancy something a bit more modern.

I recently bought a CSP shifter for my bus. 1970 Westy. It looks good and I can't compare with the Gene Berg as I have never used that one. It is very close shifting ie the gears are a lot closer together, and it takes a while to get used to this after stock.

I was hoping that after having the gearbox re-built and changing just about everything, coupler, bushes, front shift selector rod, that second gear from third would be easy, but it is sometimes still not easy to get, unless I double the clutch.

However thats not the CSP shifter's fault. It's easier to use than stock because of the shorter throw and the chunky handle. It's also taller so easier to reach.

mike202 said:
I was hoping that after having the gearbox re-built and changing just about everything, coupler, bushes, front shift selector rod, that second gear from third would be easy, but it is sometimes still not easy to get, unless I double the clutch.

I used a second "shuttlecock" bush on the rear shift rod as fitted to late buses. It makes a vast difference by supporting the weight of the shift rod.

I have watched the You tube video on the BUGTECH shifter.
I know some people think they are crap and some swear by them, however after studying
the movement closely I think this is going to be the best bet for Pippa as it is very short throw
and there is not a lot else as far as losing track of where you are. If you understand the porridge stirrer effect. :lol:
The price unfortunately put that on hold for a long time , :shock: but I do realize you have to pay for what you get.
Got to try and find someone close to home so I can check it out before buying. This is the problem with staying so far south.
Just keep saving I guess and if it's not right we will have to go Berg.

J & P
:D :D :D

A second shuttlecock seems a good idea. Stock works well for me. I used a quick shift adaptor plus an extension piece on the stick. I know it's not new, but it's good enough...

Bluesnailman said:
A second shuttlecock seems a good idea. Stock works well for me. I used a quick shift adaptor plus an extension piece on the stick. I know it's not new, but it's good enough...

I have the same till funds allow, works well for me to. :D

J & P
:D :D :D

Gene Berg, there is no substitute. I had a CSP which was a pretty nice bit of kit but It’s a copy of the berg and isn’t quite as good. Got bergs in both my bus and bug. I’ve fitted a Bugtech to a customers bus and while it’s good it’s not good enough to justify the obscene price tag. And as for the Vintage speed shifter, that’s like all other VS products... Total dog shit.

Thanks for all your useful suggestions, I'm tempted with the bugtech long shifter but does it get in the way of the handbrake, my daughter will probably be driving the van more than me and on our last one she said it was difficult doing hill starts with the gene Berg.

2009jamesb said:
Thanks for all your useful suggestions, I'm tempted with the bugtech long shifter but does it get in the way of the handbrake, my daughter will probably be driving the van more than me and on our last one she said it was difficult doing hill starts with the gene Berg.

If the berg was hitting the hand brake then your rear brakes needed adjusting lol

I have a Bugtech shifter that I need to sell if anyone wants to PM me for details. I loved it's short throw, but now have a cable change so it's surpless to requirements!
Cheers
Al
NOW SOLD

Gene Berg for us on both our Early Bays.

We drive customer buses with all types of shifters fitted and GB wins hands down, I just cant get on with the Bugtechs as I think the spring setting is too hard and they have infinite adjustment, GB bolt in and it works.

I bought the Bugtech that Bundy was selling (great guy to deal with) and fitted it without a problem, it is very direct and easy to shift into gears, I haven't done many miles as I wanted to fit a power steering kit which is now done so now 2 things are ticked off the list!

Anyone got an idea of the weight of a Gene berg setup as might try to bring one back from my hols.

I just googled it and it said it is 1.3 kg but I suppose it depends on the model but should be around that weight.

Latest posts