Anyone else having probs with rocker gaskets?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71Westy

Reaction score
Hi, anyone else having probs with GSF rocker cover gaskets? Just tried two new sets and oil poured out. Previous ones were from VHW and no probs. They seem a denser cork material and slightly thinner. Resorted to Hylomar Blue just to get a seal. They'll be a bugger to get off at the next service.

(Oh, and I tried new spring clips from GSF- they were thicker and tight to fit - and when I clipped on the cover, a bit of the little round housing on the cylinder head broke off - both sides the same. I've gone back to the original ones and I'm fingers crossed that they stay in place with the bits missing. To say I was annoyed is an understatement... Just wondering if I should go for bolt-on jobbies just to be safe)

I bought my covers, springs and gaskets from Custom & Commercial, they've been fine and fit well..

Bolt on covers are crap if you get the cheap ones I have some cheapies on as I have one boss missing completely from the cylinder head. The. Bolts provided are softer than cheese and it took an age of fucking about to get the leaks to stop.
If your clips works stay with them. Or buy the expensive bolt on ones

71Westy said:
Hi, anyone else having probs with GSF rocker cover gaskets? Just tried two new sets and oil poured out. Previous ones were from VHW and no probs. They seem a denser cork material and slightly thinner. Resorted to Hylomar Blue just to get a seal. They'll be a bugger to get off at the next service.

(Oh, and I tried new spring clips from GSF- they were thicker and tight to fit - and when I clipped on the cover, a bit of the little round housing on the cylinder head broke off - both sides the same. I've gone back to the original ones and I'm fingers crossed that they stay in place with the bits missing. To say I was annoyed is an understatement... Just wondering if I should go for bolt-on jobbies just to be safe)

I agree - the thinner harder cork/rubber gaskets tend to leak / are bad.

Try this: http://www.realgaskets.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I have the oilcap, and sump plate gaskets. I have not run out of the cork valve cover gaskets yet as I tend to buy these in bulk. But when I do this is the way to go. And there are new factory covers and bales available. Stock is the best for no leaks. Also, if you experience some leaking from your valve covers try and give them a little tap to nudge them slightly after installed. It does the trick sometimes.
There is a product that I use called "Gasgasinch". It is by far the very best product for mounting your gaskets to the covers. It sticks well and is easy to remove the old gasket and glue when you must change gaskets again. I use it for door seals too. And for vapor barrier on the doors. It is the same style adhesive that was used in the factory. Its good shit.

i had the same problem with leaky rocker covers..
change the gaskets but still leaked.!! what a pain in the arse.
spoke to my pal Allen (mechanic who owns a split), and he advised me to change covers,clips,and to smear gaskets with grease.
This worked a treat for me so i would advise the same to everyone... cheap fix at only about 20quid.
Good luck

Not just me then, I bought some of c and c last year and they were crap. Fitted them got 10 miles down the road and oil was peeing out the rear.
I now seal mine in with some black gasket sealant. Yea I know I takes time to clean off but at least I know it ain't going ro leak now.
My problem was that the gasket seemed to shrink a bit and was a lot thinner.

P6040116.jpg

When I rang them up they reckon they had no problems, the next batch I bought were a lot more manley.

Nick

I've always used a smear of Hylomar blue. Is a bit of a chore to clean up when you change the gaskets but it's extra piece of mind. I used Hylomar on all the seals of my motor when I rebuilt it and it doesn't leak a drop :mrgreen

Thanks Karl - I used it on all my other gaskets, but then I hopefully don't need to change those very often ;-)

Still worried about those little cups that hold the clips now they are broken - time will tell, but if they go ping, that would be catastrophic! Perhaps time for an oil pressure gauge?

71Westy said:
Thanks Karl - I used it on all my other gaskets, but then I hopefully don't need to change those very often ;-)

Still worried about those little cups that hold the clips now they are broken - time will tell, but if they go ping, that would be catastrophic! Perhaps time for an oil pressure gauge?

Do you mean the slots on the heads
Where the end of the clips go? :-S
Maybe some decent bolt on's would be a good idea?

Ive just got some from JK, they sell gaskets for £1 each, or ones made by Scat for 1.50 each so i went for them!
Do you guys think they will be any good? I have never removed my rocker covers yet but I want to try and adjust the tappets shortly :msn4:

simo

Latest posts